sleep

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railrider 242

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping..I will be 57 in March my sleeping habits are just horrible if i can sleep 5 hours without waking up I am doing good..I am just curious if anyone else has the same problem.

"Amarillo by Morning..." sorry, couldn't resist...

"Amarillo by Morning..." sorry, couldn't resist...

Hi there and welcome to the website..!

There are mega posts on the website about sleep or lack of sleep. The 'search' function above could take you to some of those.

My sleep has gotten much better as time goes by and now I can knock out 7 or 8 hours on some nights. Other nights I consider 6 hours without waking a bonus......then go back to sleep. I've never taken sleeping drugs..

Many people wake up after 4 or 5 hours to go to the bathroom, drink a bit of water, and hopefully fall back asleep for another 2-3 hours. I try to make sure that the temp in my room is comfortable, the curtain is closed, and all is quiet. If my heart rate is acting up then I take 6mg of Metoprolol.

Many people wake up after 4 or 5 hours to go to the bathroom, drink a bit of water, and hopefully fall back asleep for another 2-3 hours. I try to make sure that the temp in my room is comfortable, the curtain is closed, and all is quiet. If my heart rate is acting up then I take 6mg of Metoprolol.

Yeah the lasix is WONDERFUL like that

amarillo by morning what a great song....i feel that way a lot of times when I am headed home from work....yall stay posted i will probably have lost of questions for everyone and their valves and lifestyle....

Sleep?

Sleep?

Since your surgery was a while back (2005), your sleep issues undoubtedly aren't the same as those folks encounter immediately after surgery. There are a lot of things that can cause sleep patterns to change.

-Philip

You shall start seelping better and longer from now on!! :D My bad sleeping habbits ended at age 57. You are just there, if you are like me.

I had very bad sleeping habbits all my life .... I worked worked worked and then got tired tired tired, to the extent I could not do any exercise to exercise to release the poison extreof the fatigue out. So, I could not sleep at all until 2 or 3 am! Then I head to kitkchen and get my sleeping pill, as I would have serious meetings next day.

Luckily, all this changed after the surgery....my sleeping pattern had much much improved. I continued with the sleeping pills for two months before and two month after the surgery. And it was a miracle for me.

Yet, there are factors that affect certain nights....spicy food, drink, bad company you have around, discussions which sometimes lead to altercations, or conversations that may lead to laughter and making new beautiful friends!! have different effects.

Coffee or alchohol interrup my sleep IF I slept! This is me.

I personally sleep very well when our guests are loving and genuine and love us for us ...they bring good energy with them and they leave ot in the houseit still is affected by what I do, or I eat, or drink on that day. If or when I rarely do not drink coffee, especially after 11 am, I won't sleep at all. I have to be physically tired to get a better sleep, yet If I was a bit anxious or upset, or ate salty food, or had an alcoholic beverage, my sleep is interrupted that night. If I spent the day with good humerous people and I felt relaxed at ease with no tension....just laughter all time and some phytical activity...walking and light dinner--just a banana!! that is the best night for me.

One Gym instructur advised me to eat a banana before excercise and a banana at bed time to replenish the potassium that was used during the exercise. I did not take him serious then which was two years aga, but now, YEY,,,a babana at night helps you sleep tight!!

If I had a smooth day, had good times with happy people, I sleep better. If I go out for dinner and enjoy a drink, drink puts me to sleep for a short time only and then I wake up to gert rid of it, and drinks dehydrate us too.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have trouble sleeping..I will be 57 in March my sleeping habits are just horrible if i can sleep 5 hours without waking up I am doing good..I am just curious if anyone else has the same problem.
I used to sleep like a log but now struggle more with getting a good night's sleep also; but I have recently discovered that I sleep better if I have some carbs at night, like some pasta or some bread.

I think that Phillip is right that sleeping problems five years after surgery are probably unrelated. There are so many problems that can disturb one's sleep that it is not possible to do more than make suggestions of things to check. My own problems with sleep began 8 years before my valve replacement when I began having very disturbed sleep. At night I would toss and turn and make one, two or even three trips to the toilet during the night. My days were increasingly marked by periods of sudden sleepiness including dozing off during telephone calls and finally driving off the highway only to wake and realize I was no longer on the road. That was enough. The diagnosis of sleep apnea was actually pretty straight forward. During sleep my nasal passage was relaxing and preventing normal breathing. The treatment has been to use a CPAP machine each night which is painless and requires no drugs. CPAP machines do not "help you breath" rather they keep the nasal passages inflated so that one can breath normally. Since then, I've used my CPAP machine every night when I sleep and even took it with me to the hospital last year for my AVR. One thing I do remember from the ICU was a nurse setting up my CPAP after the ventillator was removed. Perhaps, because of my machine, I had no problems sleeping after I returned home.

Sleep problems are very troubling because they effect the way we feel the rest of the day. Especially, if you find yourself falling asleep at inappropriate times of the day, you might want to speak with your family doctor about a referal for a sleep study.

Larry

Larry,

My father had a horrible case of sleep apnea. But quite a few years back he got tested and since then he has slept wonderfully... and without the snoring!!! lol. Post-operatively, that CPAP machine is a god-send. He's attempted to go to the hospital without lugging his machine... but after a couple of sleepless nights he changes his mind. He's like another man after a good night of CPAP-sleep.

However, now that he is having so many heart troubles, things have changed. The lasix definitely does not help, either! But that's a whole other story.

.............I sleep better if I have some carbs at night, like some pasta or some bread.

Very true.

Quote:

Certain foods contain an amino acid called tryptophan that causes sleepiness. Carbohydrates make tryptophan more available to the brain, which is why carbohydrate-heavy meals can make you drowsy. Proteins from the food we eat are the building blocks of tryptophan, which is why the best bedtime snack is one that contains both a carbohydrate and protein, such as cereal with milk, peanut butter on toast, or cheese and crackers.

Unquote.

You may read more about food and sleep on http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/food-and-sleep

I have always been a light sleeper. I think it's from having children and listening for them all night. Then when they got teen-agers I listened for them to come home. I was only getting 3-4 hours a sleep and it was literally making me sick. Years ago my pc doctor put me on Ambien. It was a life saver. I told him I was probably addicted to it now and he said if that's my only addiction that was no problem. He said I had to have my sleep. When I was working days at the hospital I would have to get up at 4:15 am and be at work at least by 5:30 am. I should have gone to sleep at 9:00 pm but there was no way I could go to sleep at that hour. I would lay there and toss and turn until about 11:30 or even later. I have just recenlty gone back to the evening shift. I work from 1:30 - 10:30 and that works so much better for me. I'm in bed by 11:30 and then I sleep until 7:30 or 8:00 am. At least I feel rested now when I wake up. I also drink a glass of milk before I turn in.

amarillo by morning what a great song....

*grins*

Indeed it is!

As for me ... sleep is still bothersome. Now, I tend to fall asleep early in the evening ... while I'm watching TV. Thus, I miss my TV show ... and can't sleep at night. Ugh.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm in a state of confusion, I hope things aren't what they seem" ... Travis Tritt ... 'Tell Me I Was Dreaming'

Latest posts

Back