Simon Applegate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob -- does this mean that Simon's ejection fraction is 25%..? I found this online just now:

"The left ventricle is the part of the heart that holds and pumps blood to other vital organs. A measure called the left ventricular ejection fraction or LVEF is used to check for damage due to heart attacks and other conditions. The LVEF value for a person with no heart damage is usually around 60 percent or greater. Systolic dysfunction (condition that causes reduced pumping ability of the heart's left lower ventricle) represents reduced pumping ability of the heart."

Bob -- does this mean that Simon's ejection fraction is 25%..? I found this online just now:

"The left ventricle is the part of the heart that holds and pumps blood to other vital organs. A measure called the left ventricular ejection fraction or LVEF is used to check for damage due to heart attacks and other conditions. The LVEF value for a person with no heart damage is usually around 60 percent or greater. Systolic dysfunction (condition that causes reduced pumping ability of the heart's left lower ventricle) represents reduced pumping ability of the heart."

Its sounds like the EF to me.

That was my take, also: it's the EF. However, the definition of "normal" has stretched, and goes down to 50% now on most scales, and up to 70% at the top. I don't agree with these extensions when they are just empirically applied, but I know why they did it.

The ejection fraction is the percentage of blood in the ventricle that is pushed out during a normal heartbeat. So, only a quarter of the oxygenated blood in his left ventricle is being pushed into his aorta with each pump. It's not quite as dire as it sounds, but it certainly can't be inspiring him with vigor.

We have some VR members who are out there, pretty much able to fend for themselves, with 35% ejection fractions right now. 25% is low, but he's in the right place to deal with that type of issue. If it were to be extended issue, they might consider a ventricular assist pump.

Best wishes,

That was my take, also: it's the EF. However, the definition of "normal" has stretched, and goes down to 50% now on most scales, and up to 70% at the top. I don't agree with these extensions when they are just empirically applied, but I know why they did it.

Absolutely.. I remember my EF ranged from 15% to 25% when I was admitted to ER and even now at 10 years later, I hover between high 40% to mid 50%.

Linda, I would take it a big step forward if his infection is under control. That, to me, would be his biggest threat. The other things they can hopefully treat and his heart may just improve on it's own when it gets the chance. I lived for years with an EF of 30 something percent and didn't even know it!

Best of luck to you both. I know he soon will be able to talk back to you!

Kim

Linda, even tho he isn't answering you, I bet he hears every word you say to him. Keep letting him hear your voice and tell him we are also hovering and wishing him on.

I think the fact that his internal organs are improving is something very positive. It sounds perfectly plausible that his heart function would be off due to the infection. And no doubt he has some fluid on board around his heart much of it probably from the IV sodium solution that is used as a vehicle for other medications, and is always in the "on" position pumping through his veins.

I agree that he can hear you on some level. Be cautious of what the doctors or nurses say while they are in the room. If they have anything discouraging or scary to say to you, make them step out into the hall to say it. I found that medical people are not very sensitive to the fact that the patient might just be hearing them. We just don't know, so it is better to err on the side of sensitivity.

You want him fighting a tough battle and not have him get discouraged by anything. He needs to have a one track mind and get the heck out of there!

Moms EF after surgery was around 20-25 percent. After meds and pacer it is now, 4 years later around 50 percent...it is great that infection is under control!!! Go Simon!!!!! Deb

Praying and keeping Simon and Linda close in prayer as days pass
in event of an update that it is another good update and know we
are here for you both always.

I just received an email that Simon has died ... that is all it said ... so very sad to lose another...:(

I was so hopeful that this wouldn't happen again this month. My TRUE HEARTFELT condolences go out to his family. :(

Here is the email. I received it earlier this morning, but hadn't been down to check email yet:
Mary

So sad to let you know that Simon died on Saturday at 4.30 pm. He had
deteriorated over the previous 24 hours so that his blood pressure was only
just maintained with maximum doses of inotropes, and an echo showed that his
ventricular function was extremely poor. I was able to spend time with him
with our two daughters, Simon's sister and a close friend. We talked to him,
said our goodbyes and hugged and kissed him before he let go and peacefully
died with us. He was surrounded by love and died in a way that we were able
to share with him and was special to all of us. We know that the surgeons
and all the medical and nursing staff had given him every possible chance to
live and had treated him superbly as well as supporting his family fully.
Also many thanks to you and everyone else on the forum who have sent their
much valued support during this difficult time.

Love Linda
This is very sad. Thank you Ross and Cooker, for picking up on this for the members and for creating his "In Loving Memory" thread.

With sadness,

Bonzo was a very passionate guy, full of gusto, and a REALLY interesting person. I consider myself very fortunate to have met him and got to know him a little bit. His family is in my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back