Say it aint so.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Guy

So my kids are teasing me now. "Dad, you're gonna set off the alarm at airport security" We all had a laugh but now I'm wondering. With the wired sternum and a mechanical valve, it seems possible. Can someone elaborate?

You'll be fine. It won't set anything off. But you will (should) be getting a card with the valve, model ect either at the hospital or a month or so later to carry in your wallet and if some rare time it sets something off. you'll have the card.

You'll be fine. It won't set anything off. But you will (should) be getting a card with the valve, model ect either at the hospital or a month or so later to carry in your wallet and if some rare time it sets something off. you'll have the card.

AND the Scar :)))

Airport Security

Airport Security

Actually, I hate to disagree, but I frequently set off airport security alarms and the TSA guys really don't care if I produce my artificial valve documentation card.

The response of the detectors at airports vary depending upon how the machines are set. I almost always trip the detectors at DIA in Denver. The TSA guys in Denver have never been interested in looking at my card or hearing any kind of explanation; they seem to prefer doing the touchy-feely search thing (my wife thinks it's because I have a "cute" butt). One time I set-off a detector at DIA, they simply had me backup, did some adjustments on the machine, and had me walk through again. My second attempt didn't trip the machine.

Hopefully, you won't have issues with airport security; like most things with valve replacement surgery, experiences here vary. I can actually stick refridgerator magnets on my chest. See if that works for you; your son may really like that trick.

Getting searched is less of a hassle than trying to get on an airplane with shampoo and toothpaste tubes which are too big.

-Philip

Hopefully, you won't have issues with airport security; like most things with valve replacement surgery, experiences here vary. I can actually stick refridgerator magnets on my chest. See if that works for you; your son may really like that trick.
-Philip

Get outta here! :tongue2: Refrigerator magnets? I'm off to try that right now! What a hoot.

Whoa! Are you sure the refrigerator magnets won't pull my valve through my chest? I'll wait 'till Luana tries it - I'm chicken!

Well, I sure as heck hope not! I just tried it. Omg, you gotta try it. It did stick! :thumbup: What a hoot! Gee, this could really liven things up at a party, huh? :biggrin2:

Ok, now this really makes tissue vs. mechanical a no-brainer! :tongue2:

Lol! In a weird way I cannot wait to gain friends & impress enemies at parties with that trick. That is nuts! I'm pretty sure that doesn't work with just the wires. It's gotta be the mechanical valves. I've never set off a metal detector before!

if you don't mind me asking, did they use glue for your surgery, or...? i loved seeing the wires in my xrays. i tried getting the xray, but they told me they recycle those and i didn't want the printout, i wanted the real deal haha.

no way! not easily amused. i can't wait to use that as a parlor trick. i still can't believe it!

Meh, I've tried the magnet trick. Doesn't work. My wires don't set off detectors, but my titanium hip does. Oh what fun it is to walk into the courthouse. Ever feel like every cop in town is about to draw on you?

My hip resurfacing sets off the alarms when I fly. They practically make you take off all your clothes and pat you down all over. Last time I flew, I kidded the lady patting me down. Usually you don't say much, but she was nice and talking. I asked if I could have that cute guy over there pat me down - she laughed and said, get out of here! That doesn't happen very often. As a 65 year old woman, I don't think I match the profile for someone about to cause trouble anyways. The cards do no good. Anyone can make up a card. All the hip replacment folks say - just go thru the detector and don't say anything unless it goes off. They are different at differnt airports. Pat

I've only set off an alarm one time in 7 years of fairly frequent flying since my surgery. That was at the St. Louis airport, I think, and there was no rhyme or reason for it -- had been there post-op prior to and after that incident.

Occasionally the TSA does adjust sensitivity settings on scanning equipment, or gets new equipment. Equipment does not appear to be 100% identical at all airports. I encountered that recently at Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. They had just gotten new equipment and recommended that everyone take off ALL jewelry (except earrings). I didn't -- and had absolutely no problem; I wear a MedicAlert bracelet, wedding band and earrings. On my return trip, I was not warned about the same at the departing airport.

I've gone through security at Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Denver, Seattle, Orange County, LAX, Ontario (California), New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Orlando, Tulsa, Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Philly, Newark and many others, and haven't enountered a problem -- as long as I take my shoes off. :))
Zip-lock bags of cat litter and metal grooming combs will concern screeners. I'm used to screeners opening carry-on that contains those items.

I've never set off alarms at airports due to sternal wires but while it's true a valve card could be fake...... a big scar down the middle of your chest is rather good 'proof' of your claim re: heart surgery and sternal wires.

I'm still chicken to try it! Afraid it might polarize my valve permanently open or something!

The Leaflets of Mechanical Valves are made from Pyrolytic Carbon.
Only metal is inside the sewing ring.

BTW, High Quality Stainless Steel is NON-magnetic.

'AL Capshaw'

Doug, as Lyn said, you should receive a card describing your prosthesis. A question you should ask your surgeon's office is whether they will register your new hardware or must you do it yourself. After your AVR, you should receive a page describing your valve with its maker, model, and serial number along with the name of the surgeon, hospital and date of implantation. Most often the surgeon's office sends in the registration but that is not always true. This is something that you will want to take care of shortly after surgery before records start becoming confused. When I called my surgeon's office, I was told they didn't know if it had been registered so I call Edwards myself; it had not been. However, in my discharge paperwork I had the page that provided the necessary information and the Edwards rep I spoke with over the telephone did it right then. Two weeks later I got a pair of cards describing my valve and containing information about performing medical scans in the future.

As for the airport, I set off about one metal scanner in four but, instead of wires, I have titanium Talons which mass more. I wonder what people will make of them when full body scans become the norm at airports. When I did set off the alarm, no one was interested in my cards because they contain no biometric data. The good news is that I never missed a flight. You should be fine.

Larry

Latest posts

Back