Q: What is one surefire way to forget about impending OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just ASK

A: While not recommended, in my case it was to have a "small" heart attack while driving home from work. Yippee! This party is getting kicked into high gear!:wink2:

I am typing this from my bed at the local hospital. I am post event and being monitored for 48 hours to establish that this was a isolated event. Due to the new dosages of Lopressor and an ACE called Altace, I actually feel better than I have for a long while. My BP is averaging a normal 125/65 which is lower than it has ever been measured in the last 15 years. I love pharmacology...

1 of 2 things occurred: either 1) I had blockage in one of the coronary arteries, which is what one thinks of in the classic sense when an MI occurs. This may have occurred in the only artery that showed any restriction (only 30% at that) during my 2/3/11 cath. They have me on Heparin to treat this possibility. OR 2) my highly stenotic and regurgitant valve paired with my myopathetic(sp?) heart got overloaded and oxygen starved. This will be addressed Monday morning when my cardiologist will be calling the folks at the Cleveland Clinic to see what they recommend. I'm hoping tests on Wed/Thur and surgery on Friday :cool2:

The cardiac enzymes were negative at 1 hr, but positive at 6 and 12 hours which tells us that the chest pain was indeed the MI happening when I walked into the ER. It was definately painful, but not so much so that I didn't drive the 15 miles home. All while towing a boat. In hindsight, I should have pulled over and called 911. I made it home without incident and had my wife take me the 10 minutes further to the ER. I've always read that many people having an MI don't go IMMEDIATELY to the ER. I always thought to myself that these must be some , well, I dunno...dumb people. Now I belong to that group of "idiots" as I was thinking that it was going to subside, which it did - after 75 minutes.

Anyway, the true point here is this: I am glad to be here to type this and it gave me a chance to sorta fixate on something besides OHS for a short while, albeit not the distraction I would prescribe for anyone. :)

Don't feel too bad.....I know of a couple of "idiots" who drove themselves to the hospital while having the beginnings of
a heart attack. Some symptoms are kind of vague. Now behave !!! ;)

Scott,

You are in my thoughts and prayers....stay positive as you certainly seem to be. You will be fine....all the positive energy I can muster up!!!!

Jeri

Thanks Steve, Bina, and Jeri.
One of the um, er, 'benefits' of my stay is that I get to experience the effects of Heparin on my system. Heparin and Coumadin seem to perform the same ACT function albeit at much different rates and duration. I can sure see the effect every time they prick my finger for a diabetic blood sample...gotta hold that cotton ball on there for a wee bit longer than usual. All in all, I can now say I have experienced a heart attack (that and a $1.00 will get me some coffee) and I sincerely hope this will push up the expediency of scheduling my AVR.

Glad you made it home safe. Keep us posted on what Cleveland says. Try to rest in the meanwhile.

Having had heart attacks, I can 'feel' for you. Don't beat yourself up too badly about continuing to drive. What is done is done.
I'll only say I did not drive but acted just as 'stupidly' and managed to completely ignore what was happening to me. I had no symptoms most of us would recognize as heart attack. I knew something was happening but didn't know what and I considered and dismissed the idea of heart attack. I didn't know, at the time, women often do not present with MI in the same ways as most men.

We both got lucky and got good care soon enough.
Best wishes to you. Now that you are getting propery care, hopefully all will go smoothly for you.

Thanks Steve, Bina, and Jeri.
One of the um, er, 'benefits' of my stay is that I get to experience the effects of Heparin on my system. Heparin and Coumadin seem to perform the same ACT function albeit at much different rates and duration. I can sure see the effect every time they prick my finger for a diabetic blood sample...gotta hold that cotton ball on there for a wee bit longer than usual. All in all, I can now say I have experienced a heart attack (that and a $1.00 will get me some coffee) and I sincerely hope this will push up the expediency of scheduling my AVR.

Scott, I am sure if you put your mind to the task you could have omitted the "experience" of an MI but now that you have spend a dollar get a coffee and let the surgeons and cardios do their magic.........at least I seperated my MI and surgery by 12 years and my wife calls ME an overachiever...she really has to meet you LOL

Q: What is one surefire way to forget about impending OHS?

Answer, you can't. Unless u drink to many bevies with the boys.

You live it second by second. You inhale the monster and then exhale the beast. You terrorize the sympathetic with it. It's their and it never goes away. You are a fire breathing dragon belching OHS instead of flames. You learn to except OHS, it's the new you. In fact it will be the new improved you! Embrace that demon and make it yours. Like a sailor at sea, looming OHS is the wind in your sails guiding you through the "waiting room". OHS is the life saving port from hurricane strength winds.

Wow; glad you're doing "okay" now -- it's all relative though, isn't it?
BTW - I have a feeling that if your cardio catches you slurping that coffee you'll be busted...

Back