Pre -op today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradvo

Had a long visit at the hospital today in preparation for Aortic replacement.
Started with chest x-ray then ultrasound of blood flow in neck area to brain.
Then off to anesthesiologist, she wanted to explain the procedure to me and what to expect, what I would be waking up to.

Then respiratory therapist in to go over deep breathing with me, once the tubes were removed from my throat. She also stated my throat would be sore. Also the pillow and cough procedure.

Before all this I had a nice pre-op nurse tell me everything that was going to take place above. Also went over night before hygiene, a list of what meds I have been taking when taken last come the morning of surgery.

Well, pre admit is done, I just need to show up Thursday morning and "do it"

Brad

Brad,
Experiences can vary a lot. I did not have a sore throat after the breathing tube was removed. I read many people say it hurt to have it removed; it felt like nothing to me. Many said it hurt to have chest tube removed; that didn't hurt at all to me either.

I think what I had the most anxiety about before the surgery was waking up intubated. This was just another thing that was no big deal for me. It helped knowing beforehand, and, when you do wake up, you're still pretty groggy and foggy.

I don't want to say it's all a romp in the park, because it's not; however, it probably will not be as bad as you think it might be.

Wishing you all the best!

Good luck to you! I was very anxious about waking up intubated as well but frankly I don't really recall anything until 2 days later. My throat was a little sore but not terribly so. Someone had suggested I bring carmex and throat lozenges to the hospital with me so this might be something good to pack in your overnight bag. Everyone's experience is different. Best to be prepared for everything and hope that it's all a breeze!

I've had four surgeries where I was intubated, two of which were OHS.
I also never had a sore throat from the tube and have no memory of them removing the tube any of the four times. I remember waking after both my OHS and know I still had the tube but my nurse put me right back to sleep both times. When I woke next, the intubation had been withdrawn.

Best Wishes. Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Best of luck Brad. Everything will go smoothly I'm sure. It usually does. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your recovery post surgery.

Good luck to you as well. I had some concerns about the bereathing tube going in, but, as it turned out, I do not even rememeber having the breathing tube as they removed it before I was awake. No sore throat either. One minute being wheeled into surgery, then awake in the ICU. Hopefully it will be as simple for you too.

Dan

Hi, Brad, the business with the breathing tube is a problem for a few but for most it is only in place when one very heavily medicated and not truly conscious. I do remember it and I remember it being removed but it was no big deal and like Luana I had no sore throat. It sounds as though you found the Pre-Op day somewhat reassuring. It starts that process where you just let the medical team take over while you lean back and let the flow of events carry you along. By the weekend, you will likely be alert again and wonder what all the fuss was about. Best Wishes

Larry

Best Wishes to you on surgery day. My experience was woke up in ICU, told by my husband that tube was still in and not to worry, just then ICU nurse says OK, time to take out your breathing tube, try and give me a cough and out it came. I fell right back to sleep and don't really have a clear memory of this. I just wanted a cool cloth for my face since I was roasting and some ice chips which I couldn't have right away. So as you can see everyone's experience is different. Just go with the flow, everything will work out fine.

Hey Greg, thank you for the kind words.

My wife would be my choice as designated batter, but I'm afraid if I ask her one more request I will be admitted even sooner :biggrin2:

Brad

Latest posts

Back