Pre-op Cath Scheduled...yikes!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

My cath (that I was told I wouldn't even need if I had never been a smoker...doh!) is scheduled for Jan 27. I've seen all the posts indicating this is a "breeze" but I'm still a little freaked out. I don't know how I feel about them putting tubes and dye all up in my heart while I'm AWAKE. My biggest fear is how I will react to the sedation. I generally don't take medicine because I get sick when I do. Anyone else out there super sensitive to medication that can tell me how they felt after a Cath?

I have always felt fine after a Cath. I've had 2 of them. I was so awake after the last one that I questioned how fast the drip was going!
I was always wishing I had my glasses on so I could see the screen.

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer. I don't react well to a number of medications including Oxycontin/Oxycodone and others. I don't know what they gave me to relax me in the cath lab, but I miss it every day! It was the most wonderful, peaceful feeling. When I went in, I was a little nervous, and mentioned that. Within moments they had slipped something lovely into my IV and between that and the warmed blankets I was in heaven! After a half hour or so, I asked if they had any more of that, and they indulged me again.
As to the procedure itself - its a bit of nothing. You won't even know what they are doing, unless you get curious and wrench your head around to watch. (I did, and it was really neat to see the whole thing as a live, video x-ray.) I don't recall any particular feeling or discomfort other than the initial local anesthetic needle, which was no big deal. It was a little dull, waiting around afterward for the femoral artery to close itself up, clamped to the bed. I was a little tired and cranky afterward too, but fine the following day.
Good luck with it, you'll be fine, I'm sure.
Paul

Thx yotphix. My biggest fear too was - is the cath. But posts like yours really help. Go in 2-8 for cath then 2-9 for. Avr
Thx again. Really helps. Nancy Jane

I had my cath a year ago and was a bit nervous. I walked into the lab where everyone introduced themselves. After the intros, I said, 'And I'm your patient, Dave'. Then, on the table and the prepping started. (including that pre-op shave thing) Lights out, nighty, night. Awake. Easy-peasy. Now...the only hic-cup. I was given what I'll refer to as 'The Mohawk'. But.....they went in through my wrist. I think that shave job was someone's idea of a bad joke.

Since it was non-interventional, the wrist was the best way. VERY easy recovery.

My surgeon sent me in for a CT scan instead of a cath, since he saw my eyes bulge out when he first mentioned what they wanted to do. I had big problems with needles and tubes before the surgery, but not so much now. I have to say that the injection of the contrast dye for the CT scan was very interesting, since I could feel how quickly it moved from my arm along a very distinct path to the rest of my body. I'm glad the techician tried to prepare me for that!

I was getting ready to post the same question, as my Cath. is scheduled for 01/20/12. Glad to see this isn't as bad as it seems!:)

Cath's are easy. Don't get worked up. I have had 3, but I liked the first one the best. Got to watch the whole thing. Talked with the techs the whole way thru. Then the doctor showed all the videos. Didn't need to be a doctor to make the diagnosis. Yup, blocked widow maker 99.9%. A little balloon and good as new. Not to make light of it, but you will look back and say that was easy. Good luck.

The sedation made me feel as if I had a few drinks over a short period of time (like 20 seconds - LOL)...a strong alcohol buzz...there was a feeling of drowsiness and I probably would have fallen asleep if I didn't talk during the procedure (only because I wanted to stay awake)....very good chance that you will doze off and wake up in recovery wondering when it is time to have your cath, to only receive the refreshing news that it has already been completed - you will do great Mom2izzy :cool:

Mom2Izzy and Nancy Jane, you're both quite welcome. It's a great opportunity for me to reflect back on that process. The one thought that keeps coming up and up when I do reflect back, is just how easy the whole thing was, on balance. Sure there were trying moments, and the fear and anticipation themselves were a little tough at times, but the actual events leading up to, including, and recovering from valve replacement surgery, were never hard, and rarely even unpleasant. I suppose I was lucky too, with few complications (some pretty intense A-fib which lasted hours, and a kind of grody infection in my incision were the worst of it), but I think most of us get through without much more trouble than that.
Oh! One more thing I remember about the cath. When they dumped the large quantity of dye, or medium, or whatever it was called, to see the flow through the aortic valve and aorta itself (I think), it was either warm or cold, I don't remember which. What I do remember is that it was the most curious feeling as it spread around my body. To be either warmed or cooled from inside like that. Not at all uncomfortable, just unusual. Actually, I kind of liked it, but that might have been the drugs.

IF you want to be sedated be sure you discuss it before your cath, usually they will accomadte you when they can.They also can use different levls of sedation depending if you dont want to be aware or remeber any of it or maybe you want to be aware but a little more relaxed. Some docs tend not to sedate others usually do. Some people who didnt have any sedation are surprised when they find out others did.
So it is really something i would talk about when it is being schedualled

I have now had two heart caths. For the first one, I was heavily sedated but for the second one I was alert and able to participate in the process and follow what was happening. Of the two exeriences, the second was by far the best. The surgeron periodically asked me to hold my breath which he said helped him get better imagery. As well, it was very reassuring having him talk to me about what he was seeing. For instance, I learned that I have no plaque in my coronary arteries. He then able to make a very accurate calculation of the valve opening and its condition - very small and very calcified. Recovery from the second experience took only three hours then my friend took me home. Because I had not been heavily sedated, we stopped for dinner on the way. When one remains alert during a heart cath, you are given a mild seditive to help you remain calm and the site of the opening is anesthetized so it is not an unpleasant exeprience. With your surgeon, you should choose what is best for you but I would encourage you to consider remaining alert.

Larry

I only had 24 hours notice for my cath...no time to research it or freak out much....but I was shaking so the nurse
offered me a mild tranq, which was Ativan, and I took the smallest dose. Lovely stuff, everything was
"peace and love" after that :)

I was really nervous before my cath. When it was all over it was like nothing, and I kept thinking what the heck was I so worried about. I was mildly sedated and not really paying attention to what was going on, just very relaxed. They went in through my wrist, and the only discomfort was the tight band they put around my wrist after the cath to stop the bleeding. Don't worry, you'll do fine:)

My cath was a breeze also, even though I was "awake" during the procedure I sure don't remember much. The insertion site was a little sore for a few days and I did have a lovely bruise to go along with it. I would have no stress over having to have another one.

Ditto to most of the above. I was terrified, but it really wasnt bad at all. When that sedation hit I was in heaven, I closed my eyes and just listened to what they were saying and enjoying the moment(or feeling). You'll be fine.

Also like Dcc, I too had an interesting shave job. Thank goodness I'm not embarrassed easily and just go with it.

I had no sedation for my catheterization procedure - that was my choice. I was shaved and given a local anasthetic. The procedure itself was generally painless though there was a moment when the catheter, as it was moving up the artery, seemed to touch a nerve and gave me a jolting sensation (not painful just odd) - my cardiologist told me the artery and nerve were very close together at that point. When the dye was injected I felt a warm sensation coursing through my body, I must be a bit odd because I found it unusually pleasurable. Throughout the procedure I was able to view the monitors and see what was going on for myself. I didn't talk very much to the doctor as he was intent on his investigations but I did co-operate with holding my breath at various points. The most uncomfortable part was having to hold my arms above my head on the table for a spell.

The procedure lasted about 40 minutes and I rested for about three hours afterwards. Unfortunately I had a haematoma develop at the top of my thigh and had a small bleed from the incision site. Both were taken care of but I was left with a massive bruise on my thigh which took 5 weeks to clear up completely. I was also left with a numb patch on my thigh, almost the size and shape of my right hand. This has got much better (very slowly) and the affected area is considerably smaller but it is still not 100% even now, 16 months later. It's no biggie and the numbness is very slight but I suspect the nerve damage may possibly be permanent now.

So, for me there were a couple of minor post-procedural problems but I don't want to scare anyone with my story - all in all I would say that it was really not a particularly bad or frightening experience. I have no regrets about wanting to remain fully alert while in the cath lab, it was really not a problem at all. If you don't fare well with sedation then do consider giving it a go is my advice!

I was so nervous about my angiogram, which took place the day before my surgery. I just felt totally freaked out that I was going to have a tube placed into my heart while I was awake. I really thought, why would anyone want to do that to me?! In fact, I was so anxious about the cath, that I didn't think much about the impending surgery.

The worst thing about the process was that I was last on the list, and was not done until 4.30 pm. I had been on nil by mouth, and was not happy! The team were in disagreement about if I needed sedation. I knew that I was seeing my husband and children that evening and was going for surgery the next morning. I wanted to be alert for them, so was happy to do it without sedation. However, the team quickly realised how anxious I was, and sedation was slipped into me anyway. It was remarkably pleasant, afterwards they told me the drug was supposed to feel like a couple of gin and tonics. During the procedure I felt so calm and peaceful, but afterwards I was perfectly alert, and there was no hangover.

The only downer was that I was still having to lie flat when my family came to visit, so I couldn't cuddle my children. Also, I was unable to eat lying down, so I never got a proper meal that day, or the next day (surgery) or the day after (ICU). After that, my stomach wasn't great. My appetite was great when I got home though.

Latest posts

Back