Pacemaker wire left inside for ever

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Hi,

I had a PVR more than 7 weeks ago and my pacemaker wires were removed 2 weeks post op.

Actually the surgeon successfully pulled out the first wire, then he tried to pull the second one, but it didn't get released from my heart. So he just cut the outer part of the wire in the level of my skin to my big surprise.
He told me to don't worry, since it won't cause any problem in the future. This is their practice, that they just cut it if it's not possible to pull it out.

Is there anyone else who has the wire left inside? Did it ever cause any sort of problems or strange feelings?

I have one lead head left in my heart. The first lead came out just fine, and the second one came out without the little prong on the end. They said it's "no problem".

I'll find out for sure Nov 15 when I get a permanent pacemaker installed.

So far, I've not noticed any particular symptoms.

Andrew,

I was told post-op that my surgeon uses "breakaway" pacer wires for the temporary pacemaker. They came out, as I recall, with a little "pop" sensation, and no prong on the end. That was 1.5 years ago, and it's been no problem.

Marcia

P.S. Anyone else heard of "breakaway" leads?

My ICD is all on the inside but I can see the advatage if you need a boost......
crank-high-voltage-statham-nipple-clamps-juice.jpg

sorry bout that

:angel: .

Last edited:
Oh my stars.....please, kids, Don't try this at home !! ;)

Andrew, we've had this discussion before about pacer wires left in, I just don't remember who responded.
Hopefully they will come along soon.

Hi,

I had a PVR more than 7 weeks ago and my pacemaker wires were removed 2 weeks post op.

Actually the surgeon successfully pulled out the first wire, then he tried to pull the second one, but it didn't get released from my heart. So he just cut the outer part of the wire in the level of my skin to my big surprise.
He told me to don't worry, since it won't cause any problem in the future. This is their practice, that they just cut it if it's not possible to pull it out.

Is there anyone else who has the wire left inside? Did it ever cause any sort of problems or strange feelings?

The exact same thing happened to me and it has not caused any problems at all. I had my MV repair 5 years ago.

I have both wires inside. This has been the worst part of recovery. It would not be a big deal, but the Dr. in training who cut them could not have been very experienced (this may be the only negative statment I say about the CCF). He hacked at them with cheap sissors rather than use the right tool. He did not tug them out a little so they would be short enough not to poke me (I have two bumps in my skin). Nor did he ask for assistance from anyone.

This lead to short 7 out of 10 pain levels about once a day. Now, it is just an irritation and getting better.

He said he had to leave them in because he was afraid of internal bleeding if he pulled them.

Scott,
Somewhat related. My only bad experience at CCF was after a few days in the step down unit when a Nurse Practitioner (NP) removed my pacer wires. I bled heavily, but luckily I still had my drain tubes in, so it was obvious what was happening. There were some tense moments and I felt life slipping away. I was rushed back to the CCU where I received plasma and two units of whole blood and remained there for several days. That event set me back, and prior to that I was recovering quickly. I wonder if maybe the NP should have tugged a little less and maybe left them in place. On the other hand, I have had friends with wires that were left in which caused them irritation and they had them surgically removed several years after their OHS.

So Andrew, Was it your heart surgeon that pulled yours? It seems hard to understand why he would do such a hack job, but since he said it wouldn't be a problem, you should hold him to that promise and request a free removal sometime in the future if they bother you.
Best,
John

Thanks for all the input. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with the wire inside. I hope it won't cause any problems in the future.

Scott, John,
I'm so sorry that you had such bad experiences with the removal of the wires...

John,
It was a heart surgeon who pulled mine, but not the one who did my surgery, it was one of his colleagues, my surgeon was not on duty that time. Seeing my surprise by getting know the wire will stay in he told me that removal of the second one could be only possible by reopening my sternum and he convinced me that I do not really want that.

I really hope that future removal won't come into the picture at all. But anyway in my country all medical services are covered by the one and only governmental health insurance, so I don't need to worry about payment.

Latest posts

Back