New to site

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristen

Hi,
I'm scheduled for an AVR and aneurysm repair May 30th and can't believe it's finally happening. I have had aortic stenosis my entire life, I'm 45 now, I have always been told I would need this surgery and had a few scares before, but now that it's actually scheduled I'm scared and relieved at the same time. I just can't wait for it to be over. I hope everyone is right about the waiting being the hardest part! That being said, my emotions are all over the place, what did everyone do between the time they scheduled their surgery to the actual date? Thanks for all your help, all these threads have helped me enormously.

A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site , there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future ... and I have listed some links for your research and prep ....WAITING IS THE WORST PART..I HAVE ADDED YOU TO THE FAMILY CALENDAR so we will all joing you on the 30th

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...4&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...t-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...al-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies as mentioned above and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Since waiting is the worst part, I spent the time before OHS working and keeping busy. Then, several days before OHS, I maximized my time with my family, enjoying each other's company, eating, chilling and just treating our time as a mini-vacation before a medium-length trip. (think 2 month trip and adventure) ;)

Hope this helps.

Hi, Kristen, waiting really is the worst part. Many of us have experienced the emotional roller coaster that can result from the anxiety of waiting. You are not alone. I would offer this: try to shift your focus to recovery. At this point your heart is failing which in a different time and place would be even more dreadful but that is not for you. Your surgery will open the door to a new future and decades of healthy life. Surgery itself is nothing since you are not conscious but recovery is your time. You can make your recovery better by choosing to work at it. Focus on the future, Kristen.

Larry

Hi Kristen,
I worked a full time job (all sitting on my backside in an office) until the week before my surgery. Since I had taken the week as vacation time before going on state disability, my family decided we should go to Las Vegas and just hang out, so we did. Then we made plans to go to come back to Vegas and celebrate my nephews 21 birthday in August after my surgery in May. So having something to look forward to helped with my recovery. Just remember that your recovery will be a slow process while your body adjusts to a mended heart. My best wishes as you begin this journey to a new and improved you. :biggrin2:

waiting is defo the worst part,but you will find that as the date approaches you will become calmer in yourself, you will be just fine, ps chocolate cake used to sooth my thoughts :)

I did the things that I would'nt be able to do for a while. I did extra maintenance on the cars. Took some Christmas stuff out of the attic for my wife. I also got rid of a bunch of stuff. Just in case I didn't make it. I am glad I got rid of all that stuff, but that was depressing. In hind site I can see now how the surgery is really a blessing and I should not have been so fearful. I guess whatever you feel you need to do to give yourself peace about it. I needed to keep real busy. I agree with Neil, as the date approaches you will become calmer and you will be fine.

Hi, Kristen I'm waiting, too. My surgery has been postponed twice, but third time's the charm, right? I'm scheduled on May 25th (my 2nd OHS to replaortic valve, stem & root).
To pass the time, I've been doing all the spring & summer chores I can. While going through my closets, I decided to do the regular "seasonal clothes swap" since that will be difficult after surgery. It's amazing how optimistic I feel when I see all my cute summer clothes and shoes. I'm organizing every room, cabinet, file, drawer and space in my house. It feels great, and will help a lot during recovery if my husband needs to find something (I love him buckets, but he's clueless about our house!)
I also try to get outside when it's nice to weed, mulch, plant or just enjoy it. New England can be a little slow to wake after winter, but we've had a wonderful spring.
I guess just keeping busy makes the time go by fast - I've had two dates come and go and I'm still smiling! Best of luck on the 30th!

Hi,
I'm scheduled for an AVR and aneurysm repair May 30th and can't believe it's finally happening. I have had aortic stenosis my entire life, I'm 45 now, I have always been told I would need this surgery and had a few scares before, but now that it's actually scheduled I'm scared and relieved at the same time. I just can't wait for it to be over. I hope everyone is right about the waiting being the hardest part! That being said, my emotions are all over the place, what did everyone do between the time they scheduled their surgery to the actual date? Thanks for all your help, all these threads have helped me enormously.

Any of the members that were here when I first joined can probably vouch for this...I spent most of my time on this forum freaking out, whining and complaining lol. :biggrin2:

In retrospect I wasted a lot of energy doing that for nothing. My second time around I played a lot of golf, went out with friends, spent time with family, ate my favorite foods, etc. Although I wasn't looking forward to a 2nd surgery I knew that dwelling on it wasn't going to change anything, just make me miserable.

I took quite a few doses of anti-anxiety meds and tried to keep really really busy. :)

I tried to keep a positive attitude...expecting the best, but making sure I was prepared for the worst. I would have been a basket case the night before surgery if I hadn't made sure my husband had all the information he would need to make sure he and my daughter were financially taken care of.

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the site. The closer I got to my surgery the calmer I felt! Big relief to just have the old valve out..
I spent more time with family and friends during the countdown.

Latest posts

Back