Nervously Waiting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

In searching for info on valve replacement and aortic aneurysms I ran across this forum. I'm 51 year old male that has always been told I had a heart murmur. I've been diagnosed with Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Aortic Aneurysm and Atrial Fib. I have been having chest pains since about April and going back and forth to my PCP. He finally referred me to a Cardiologist who discovered the valve and aneurysm. The aorta was measured at 4.5 cm and it was initially wait and watch but the chest pains continued. I had a cardiac catheterization and have no blocked coronary arteries. So, this past week my Cardiac Surgeon made the decision to go ahead with the surgery since he could not rule out that the chest pains were not related to the aneurysm even though it is technically not at the size recommended for surgery. Anticipating surgery first week of October. We have decided on a mechanical valve. They are also going to do the Maze Procedure to try and correct the Atrial Fib.

Very apprehensive about the surgery. It's comforting to read all the success stories on this forum. I had no idea that there were so many people that have this procedure done. While I'm not looking forward to the surgery and the post recovery, I am looking forward to the day when all this is behind me.

Hi, and welcome to the zipper club!:smile2:

I had a BAV replaced when I was 53. It was a straight forward replacement without an enlarged aorta or afib issues. Where will you have your surgery and who is the surgeon?

The waiting is awful; at least it was for me. I can say with 100% certainty that the surgery and subsequent recovery was easier than the pre-surgery waiting. I am confident you will feel the same once you're on the other side of this.

When you get a confirmed surgery date, let us know, and we'll add you to the surgery calendar. In the meantime, ask any questions you want and read when you can.:smile2:

Welcome to this wonderful forum Guyinva,

This site is invaluable to people going through what you are going through. People here are very knowledgeable, encouraging and supportive. Yes, the waiting is the terrible.
It is VERY normal to feel apprehensive about the surgery. As you have read, many of us have had this surgery and are now 'on the other side' doing quite well.

Wishing you all the best!

My surgery will be at Carilion Clinic/Roanoke Memorial Hospital. The surgeon is Dr. David A. Wyatt. You are right...the waiting is no fun.

Welcome, Guyinva.

Most of us here agree the wait is about the worst part of this experience.
Happy you found us and hope you gain some comfort and help from all the reams of info available here. I found this site after my first OHS and I learned so much here between that and my valve surgery four years later. It would have been far more difficult for me getting through the wait for that surgery without this site.

Any questions........ please ask. There is surely someone here who probably can either answer or lead you in the right direction for your answer.

Best wishes. Please let us know how you are doing.

In searching for info on valve replacement and aortic aneurysms I ran across this forum.......
.......Very apprehensive about the surgery. It's comforting to read all the success stories on this forum. I had no idea that there were so many people that have this procedure done. While I'm not looking forward to the surgery and the post recovery, I am looking forward to the day when all this is behind me.

Welcome, you would be an "odd duck" if you were not "very apprehensive about the surgery", but as you read and and do your research, you will find that it is a relatively common procedure.

Replacement & Repair Time

Replacement & Repair Time

I grew-up with the knowledge that I had a heart mumur as well. I got over fifty years of service out of my original equipment before replacement became necessary and it was an aortic aneuryism that motivated me to get things fixed. Overall, I figure I made-out pretty well with my original equipment as I didn't ever develop symptoms or have to deal with restrictions on activities.

The fix for me, has had good results as well. Other than taking a coumadin pill or two every day and testing my blood once a week, my life hasn't changed much since AVR surgery. Experiences reported by members here tend to vary, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the majority of VR members have enjoyed positive outcomes.

We do tend to be an opinionated bunch, but that's not a bad thing. People with strong opinions tend to be passionate about what they are doing. This place is about helping people.

Welcome!

-Philip

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us. I spent months on here before surgery looking for people with the same condition and approximate age as me and tracking their posts. It helped a lot.

Many of us were told after surgery that the valve was in worse condition than they thought, and it may turn out that way for you. Maybe that's what those chest pains are telling you?

Be sure to ask if you have questions, and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Guy, I'm about two weeks away from my first year with an artificial valve. Anxiety over this kind of surgery is part of the package but it really helps knowing that you are part of a community that understands you. If you have questions or need reassurance, this is the place to come. And, it is not just before surgery; you will have more questions afterwords. For many if not most all of us, this is the first major health problem we have encountered. Despite working to live a more healthy life, we suddenly find that this problem has been lurking inside for years and it isn't pleasant to come to grips with it but you can just as we have done.

By the way, I found that surgery at the end of Summer worked out really well. The summer heat is past and just as you need to be out walking the weather is beautiful.

Surgery itself is sort of like an earthquake; it can be small or large but it does shake things up. As well, there will be aftershocks for quite some time after surgery but those are generally minor compared to what happened earlier. We deal with them as they come.

Especially if you are going to use a mechanical valve, I would suggest you read back through Dick's past posts here in VR. Imagine, he has lived with his valve since you and I were children. Few things can be more reassuring talking with someone willing to share such experience.

You will get through this and your community here will help if you wish. Take care.

Larry

Last edited:
Adding my welcome to the crowd.:smile2:

There is strength in numbers and the information and experiences shared here... truly wonderful !!

Praying you feel encouraged as you take your own walk on the "heart road"...

~Blue

Welcome Aboard !

It sounds like you are educating yourself and coming to grips with your condition.

I like that your surgeon felt it wise to proceed with surgery. Surgery is the ONLY FIX for what you have and personally, I see little or no benefit in waiting.

From what I've read, BAV and Aortic Aneurisms are often a sign of congenital Connective Tissue Disorder(s) (CTD). I would recommend discussing the ramifications of CTD with your surgeon. Ask him about his experience recognizing the signs of CTD and how he would deal with sewing in your valve. We have a couple of members whose surgeons were apparently not skilled in this area who needed to have their valves replaced. They are doing well after finding surgeons who knew what to do and how to do it. The fact that your surgeon recommended getting fixed sooner rather than later suggests that he is 'probably' aware of these issues, but it would be wise to verify, 'just to be sure'. In the hands of experienced surgeons, the additional risks posed by CTD are minimal.

We ALL have to make that "Leap of Faith" going into surgery. Many of our members report a sense of calm just before surgery once they are comfortable with their decisions and accept their fate. I hope that this sence of peace will come to you also.

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome. I want to echo that the waiting was the worst of the whole AVR experience. I waited a long time and kept postponing my surgery. Felt I did not have syptoms. As Al said, then on the day of my surgery I experienced this wonderful calm feeling, it was over to the surgical team and there was nothing more I could do.

Now I know what a mistake that was. I feel so much better both mentally and physically after the surgery. I am sure you will experience the same.

You are in my thoughts and good and healing vibes will be on their way on the day of your surgery.

Welcome to VR,

The wait is worse than the recovery. Once you have the surgery a lot of your recovery is in your hands and you know the worst is behind you. This is a wonderful place to ask all the questions you have. We have all "been there and done that".

Hi The waiting is the most diffiuclt because there is nothing to do but think. Try to stay positive and think how much better you will feel. I waited 2 months and it felt forever. I am now almost 5 weeks post op and you are thinking about getting better after surgery. It is slow for some of us, but we are on the healing side of all of this. Good Luck. Pat

Hi Guy in Virginia! Welcome to this wonderful community.

Lucky YOU! You only have a few weeks to wait! I had to wait 3 years! I would've gone completely bonkers if it weren't for these wonderful people here. Ask us anything! Come here often! Use us to help yourself through this emotionally tenuous time. We really know just what you are feeling. By starting new thread with each different kind of question, more people will respond, so please get active with any questions or concerns.

I was in my early 50's as well, hadn't known about my defect as long as you (only for half my life at that point). Being told it was near time for surgery was a major, "gulp". Really? Now? Are you sure? But it is amazingly manageable. I think, once through recovery, that after a successful surgery you will feel so much better you won't believe it!!!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Thank you all very much for the welcomes and words of encouragement. You are very right that the waiting and worrying is terrible. My wife and I have decided to take a vacation to the beach next week to try and clear our heads and process all this before the surgery. I can't imagine having to wait as long as some you had too. I would have been a complete basket case. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be having LOTS of questions to ask.

welcome-to-the-family.gif

Back