Need new medical alert bracelet, and imput on what needs to go on the emblem!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

My medicalert bracelet has broken after 11 yrs. I called about a new model that I want, but she said I can only put 'aortic valve replaced' or 'takes coumadin', not both as I had with my other bracelet.
So, I need imput on whether it would be fine to just put 'takes coumadin' and leave the rest on my information file when the emergency person calls medicalert. Does a emergency responder really need to know right away that I have an aortic valve replaced? Or is it most important to let them know I'm on coumadin? These gold filled bracelets are outrageously priced, so I want to make the right decision on what to have engraved on it.
What do you think?
Thanks

Switch from Gold to Silver (cheaper), and get two ... put 'Aortic Valve Replaced' on one, and 'Takes Coumadin' on the other. :)

Seriously, thanks; this is just another thing I hadn't thought about, yet.

Jim

I chose only "takes warfarin". That is enough for any first responders and the beautiful scar on my chest plus the melodious click of my valve would be enough clues for any physician if I wasn't able to communicate. Personally, I am comfortable with just the warfarin. ;)

Odd how they will only engrave one or the other.
Is it because it's gold?

I have a silver necklace and it's engraved as shown:
mitral valve
replaced
anticoagulated
allergic to
bandaids-tapes

But to answer your question, I'd go with 'takes coumadin', it then gives the emergency personal a reason to really look at your medical file.

Have you checked out RoadID?? Its for cyclists but I find it way more user friendly and cheaper than Medic Alert. www.RoadID.com It has your name and contact # on the bracelet along with a user ID that you can log into with on the PC. There is far more room for information, dr's, contacts, medical issues, etc. I switched a year ago, my son likes the bracelet better and never wants to take it off. I think its about 19.99/year. Worth checking out.

I've got RoadID, I wear one on my running shoe (this one gives access to EMS to all my medical information electronically), then I wear one on my wrist that spells out my conditions (for the slim model types you get 5 lines and I'm able to put my name, my husband's name and phone number, my doctor's name and phone number, my condition and medications).

Rachel

I have a medic alert bracelet and it reads:

AORTIC VALVE
REPLACED.
TAKES WARFARIN

Could it be the size of the tag is too small to fit all of the info. you want? I have a medium titanium stretch band and they had no problems putting the info i wanted on it.

Thanks for your imput. I am looking at a bracelet on Medicalert that has a smaller 'round charm', and that's why it won't accomodate the info I had on my last one, which was bigger. I just wanted something different. I asked about putting AVR on it and she said they wouldn't do it, won't use acronym's! I am looking at many sites now, and I see there are many options in the gold-filled choices. I don't wear silver, and really don't want the Road ID-type. Doesn't really go with my ideal cut diamond!! However, I like the Medicalert company, and if I choose any other, I would put their name and ph number, as well as my ID # from them. It has been liberating not to wear one for awhile. I don't miss it, but know I should have one. I'll probably end up with just the 'Takes coumadin', on the one I want. Indecision....

My choice was also to stay with Medic Alert jewelry and I have a sterling silver bracelet with a small emblem for my skinny little wrist.
It has the following:
MECHANICAL
AORTIC VALVE
ANTICOAGULATED
ARRHYTHMIA
It's probably a good idea to make sure that all your pertinent info can fit onto the bracelet. I sleep better since I've added the ARRHYTMIA info line. ;)

I've got a medic alert one that reads:
Aortic Valve Replacement
History of: Stroke and Embolectomy
On: Anticoagulants
Hope you get it sorted :) xxx

Thanks for all your imput on this important matter. I finally decided to call Medicalert and order the bracelet I had originally wanted, and got a nice gal who told me I could put more on the charm! So, I ordered it and now have
'Aortic valve, Takes coumadin' on it. I really am happy with my choice, as this one is lighter, the chain is narrower and I got it made a bit smaller so it fits so much better than my last one.
Also, it's so shiny! I had forgotten how nice they look when new, as mine was 11 yrs old when it broke. So here's to 11 more yrs, I hope, as they aren't getting any cheaper!!

I've often wondered if EMS/ER's really read the bracelets.
Has anyone actually had experience of being ill or having an accident and responders actually took note of the information on their bracelet or Medical Alert necklace?

Thanks.

Has anyone actually had experience of being ill or having an accident and responders actually took note of the information on their bracelet or Medical Alert necklace?

Thanks.

YES, well necklace anyways. When Justin was in about 8th grade he broke his arm badly skateboarding and an ambulance was called. He was awake but when they started asking medical history he said he had a medic alert necklace and not only did the ambulance call, but by the time he got to the ER, which was only blocks away, the ER already had all his information since the ambulance workers passed on his medic alert number to the ER. Of course they wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole when they saw he needed surgery and told us to take him to a hospital qualified to to CHD surgeries, we rove him to the hospital (in a different stat an hour away) where he had his latest heart surgeries and the CHD anestholigist did the work for his 2 arm surgeries. (rods placed and then removed a couple months later. The ER docotors mentioned it was great he had medic alert specifically since beside the basic info about his heart history, they were able to quickly get the contact info for all Justin's heart doctors by calling the 800 number

Thanks.

I have a medic alert bracelet that I engraved "Coumadin" on the back because I couldn't find one pre-engraved. I asked a paramedic what she made of it and she told that according to her that I would be allergic to Coumadin. I couldn't believe it. So I added "On", and AVR.

Thanks.

I take part in emergency services simulated major incidents and a few years ago they were testing out the new A&E Department at the hospital. The staff had to do exactly what they would do if it was for real and my MedicAlert bracelet was checked about six times by various people as I was supposed to be unconscious.

My own gold bracelet has:

Mitral & aortic valve replacements. Type 2 diabetes. On anticoagulants.

Latest posts

Back