My random newby question thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coumadin allergies are rare. Sometimes, and this is uncommon as well, people will have reactions to the different dyes in the coloring used for the different sizes of tablets (10 mg tabs don't have dye).

I once read that Coumadin is the 5th most prescribed Rx in the US. At that level, if allergies were common I doubt it would be that widely prescribed. Or, because it is a necessary Rx for many people, there would be regular allergy testing.

From time to time we get a member who is so worried or terrified of being on Coumadin, that they attribute everything that occurs with them to Coumadin first. We've even see doctors - who have severe biases, do the same thing. Understand that most people have no side-effects related to Coumadin.

As Karlynn said?from time to time we get someone who totally freaks about coumadin?.it is sad that the fear can be so powerful?.it seems very few have issues?.and very few die during valve replacement but some do?.I have had doctors tell me that fear/stress are greater threats to our health than we can imagine??

The chimp is right......stress is the worst health hazard that I know of.
And FWIW, I am highly sensitive to meds, lotions, foods, you name it....and I can take warfarin with no side effects.

Why would a doctor say no to that?

That is a the hundred dollar question.....I never gave coumadin/warfarin a thought....but if I had been fearful of complications from taking it I would have insisted on a trial.....Just curious Aaron...did you push or question your cardiologist as to why he said no?...If not, why not?

Aaron, my cousin had a very bad reaction to Coumadin and so I understand your concerns. I truly believe his situation was extremely rare but he is a pharmacist and has taken it upon himself to let us know to be careful and wise in the decision when the time comes.

In saying that, I wonder did you talk to your cardiologist about your concerns or just ask if you could do a trial. I am just wondering if you asked him what he would suggest in order to ensure you tolerate the Coumadin, then maybe he may be responsive if you are persistent with your concerns. Also I would imagine it would depend on how soon your upcoming surgery is.

Diana

Even if you get a tissue valve, you probably will have to be on coumadin for at least 2 1/2 - 3 months or so.

I understand your anxiety and desire to test yourself on coumadin. We have read here about a few (out of a GREAT MANY) who report having a hard time with coumadin. It is rare but it does happen.

I had a tissue valve implanted and was never put on coumadin.

I had a tissue valve implanted and was never put on coumadin.

Same deal for me (tissue, no coumadin at any time); however, I have read here that there are instances when tissue valvers have to be on coumadin, at least temporarily. I have the impression that pertains to a minority of tissue valvers, but maybe one of our very well-informed forum members has actual stats.

I should add that I have a stentless tissue valve. Here is a succinct rundown from a group of British surgeons that may add some useful information:

http://www.manchester-cardio.co.uk/typesofvalves.htm

We hear both on VR..... people with tissue valves having short use of coumadin and those who do not. My cardio and surgeon agreed to three months for me after bovine tissue valve placement but in the end, my surgeon took me off it at 2 1/2 months.

Of course, even us tissue valvers, could someday require ACT for such things as A-fib. People who have never had valve surgery are sometimes (not uncommonly) on warfarin.

I don't have a problem with him trying it, it that's what is going to make him comfortable. I think he needs to find out why his doctor said "nope". Is there a timing issue? If so, is he willing to move back his pre-op tests, and surgery in order to do it?

I do get a bit "hinkie" over people wanting to try it to see if they can handle the routine. My humble opinion is - you just do it, you handle it. Trying it to find out if you're allergic is another story. I personally don't feel it's necessary given the stats. But if you're someone who tends to draw the short straw and testing makes you feel better about it - do it.

Same deal for me (tissue, no coumadin at any time); however, I have read here that there are instances when tissue valvers have to be on coumadin, at least temporarily. I have the impression that pertains to a minority of tissue valvers, but maybe one of our very well-informed forum members has actual stats.

I should add that I have a stentless tissue valve. Here is a succinct rundown from a group of British surgeons that may add some useful information:

http://www.manchester-cardio.co.uk/typesofvalves.htm

I don't think we've had a poll on coumadin use after replacement, in the short term, but we did do a poll on coumadin use in nonmechanical valvers and a-fib. Here's the thread. I think we had 91 responses and out of those, 1 who needed coumadin for a-fib.
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14312&highlight=poll+tissue+valves+coumadin

Yes we had a poll, but lets not forget membership here hardly represents the full picture. There are many people who are not here that did not respond to the poll. I'm sure it's a much larger number then 1. This is why I wish people that come in here, have bad outcomes would come back and post to that effect. There too worried about scaring new people, well hey, the truth is just that, the truth. New folks need to see the down sides as well as the text book perfect ones.

Interesting web site.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but yesterday I read that garlic is a anticoagulant, and this web site says otherwise. And you wonder why people get confused :confused:

Sorry for the hijack Aaron.

Where did you get that info Freddie? Garlic is an anticoagulant.

As far as Coumadin allergies, there are none to the drug that I know of, but people have had reactions to the dye used to color the tabs. Switching them to another brand seems to work such as Jantoven.

I should clarify that it's the garlic supplements (capsules) that we have spoken about previously on other threads, that would affect platelets and cause more bleeding risk.
A good sized chunk of bread slathered with garlic butter and thrown on the grill is still very healthy!

Latest posts

Back