My random newby question thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Pairodocs-Laura

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; a lot of stuff you already know.
First of all, many asthmatics are sensitive or allergic to aspirin, and this can extend to other anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen.

Next, coumadin allergies are extremely rare, but intolerance to coumadin is not. I have seen people who start bleeding (GI, bladder, etc) the second that they take coumadin; heck, I've had a few who couldn't even take a single aspirin without bleeding. Sometimes, despite all the technology available, we just can't find the bleeding site, and in someone with atrial fibrillation, it's a big deal to open them up to find out. It's a heck of a choice to make-increased risk of stroke or a blood transfusion every 2 weeks. In a weird sort of way, coumadin has saved a number of folks whose colon cancer would never have been discovered if not for the bleeding caused by coumadin. And there are a number of odd but fortunately rare conditions caused by coumadin. Anyone can have an allergic reaction to any medication. Any medication can cause nausea and vomiting.

The fact of the matter is that coumadin has saved many more lives than it has taken. There have been a number of attempts to develop suitable alternatives, but they always go back to coumadin. Most physicians (despite some opinions on this forum) are at least somewhat familiar with it, although they are sometimes not familiar with interactions with the newer medications. That's why I always ask the pharmacist to run their Medline list whenever I start someone on coumadin or new heart meds. Docs don't always hear about those black box warnings until weeks after they come out. This seems to be a big problem with psych meds, more than anything.

I wish I could convince my Chris to put his mind to developing something like a better anticoagulant. He has the brainpower to do it, too. The OHS has thrown him for such a loop that he hasn't even been interested in his old stomping grounds. He has almost "Einsteinian" intelligence, and doesn't realize how rare this is. I'm no slouch in the intellect department, but Chris is so far above me that he's almost not on the same planet. Maybe if you guys work on him...

Well, Aaron, I guess your mind is made up. It doesn't mean that you're not willing to change it, though, if you get new or better information (I hope).

Finally cooling of in Idaho,
-Laura

Aaron, I got an ON-X carbon valve and I get to be part of a study that will hopefully prove that with the ON-X valve, people can take Plavix instead of Coumadin. Which would be so rad.

Even if you get a tissue valve, you probably will have to be on coumadin for at least 2 1/2 - 3 months or so.

I understand your anxiety and desire to test yourself on coumadin. We have read here about a few (out of a GREAT MANY) who report having a hard time with coumadin. It is rare but it does happen.

I'm four weeks post surgery with an Edwards tissue valve and was never put on anti-coagulation. I caught in the operative report that heparin was introduced at the beginning of the surgery. But that was it.

Latest posts

Back