My random newby question thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi just to say when i had my angiogram the cardiogist, came in via my right wrist, no real problems, always expected to feel it moving through the body, nothing, afterwards a pressure cuff was attached and the pressure released gradually, worst bit was shaving my groin area, as per hospital instructions, and then finding out, they were entering by the wrist, like being a young boy again,
keep the faith.

in my experience

in my experience

My first opinion surgeon this spring wanted an angiogram the day before surgery. My second opinion surgeon, Dr Sundt, who is known for aortic surgery at Mayo, considers himself a minimalist, which I can definitely appreciate. He never does more than he feels necessary, which I heard several times during the whole experience (he actually did rounds and stopped in nearly everyday while i was in the hospital- suprise suprise) He said during the consult after I brought it up that no, I didnt need an angiogram, since Im only 30. My tissue valve replacement was when I was 20, and no, I didnt need an angiogram then either. That was also done at Mayo.

I must say for a Dr, go with the one with the most experience, and it will lower the chance of bad things happening. I felt completely at ease once I got set up at Mayo, and prior to that I was a nervous wreck. Going into surgery calm helps too.

If you have an allergy to coumadin the alternative, as far as I know, would be Lovenox shots, which involves 2xs daily injections in the tummy. Hope that isnt the case! I have been on them for over a week, and couldnt imagine doing that forever.
Good luck with getting answers! Good questions!

Welcome
I did NOT have a cath prior to my MV repair. I did have a TEE, but my doc did not find it necessary to do the CATH.

Find a surgeon that is confident, but not delusional! Have as many opinons as you need to find the one that you are confident with.

As for the Coumiden, I don't take it so I am not at all an authority on it, As for the Asthma, I have been told that Beta Blockers can increase Asthma episodes. Not sure if you are on any of them?

Aron, whats up. I had a cath before my valve replacement. All in all it was only the idea of it that was weird.They gave me the option of watching but I asked the anistegiologist to put me out. He smiled at me with the glint of someone who had enjoyed recreational use of of drugs at some point in his life. "Don't worry he said, I love my job, you wont feel a thing". I hardly knew it was happening. Its kind of like working on an engine, If you have to open it up. You might as well change the timing belt while you are in there. Good Luck!!

I didn't find the cath to be difficult to experience. When the anesthesiologist said, "I'll be giving you some light medication" and I told her "lots of meds would be better" and she obliged. :) I have some memory of the procedure but very little and nothing traumatic at all.

My cardiologist doing the angio used a plug and I had to lay still for about 2-3 hours. I napped briefly. The came to tell me the results (thankfully, no blockages). They brought me a sandwich and cold drink and offered just about anything I wanted but I had no appetite.; They urged me to eat a little before I left just to be safe.

No bruising; no after effects. I was permitted to drive the next day. It's like it didn't happen but everyone who would know with whom I have spoken told me I had the 'master of angio's' do mine. He is the doctor the doctors go to.

Aaron, My cardiologist did a cath i6 years ago on me
and will do another one this time also.
Tells me he's not an echo man ,but a cath man (LOL)

If my recallection hits me he was great at caths 16
years ago so has to be even better now at it,later
i was drugged too much to recall anything and when
I saw him June 3rd for echo he asked me if i wanted
to watch this time or drugs.....i suggested drugs (LOL)
Old habits are hard to kick from 16 years ago haha.
so for me it was a high experience i won't forget in that way
but i paid for it afterward throwing up......... YUCK:eek:

zipper2

Zipper..... The drugs are so much better today there's a real good chance you may not get the same nausea you suffered last time. Let's hope so!!!

Here again, I probably should read the other replies before I post but I don't have time today--Aaron, with your strange-looking aneurysm, if I were you I would make sure anyone doing a catherization should have much experience and an excellent percentage of successful angiograms, particularly with other patients with an aneurysm.

You also might want to be sure the facility administering any catherization does not reprocess its "one use only" and "disposable" instruments. I believe I've posted about that elsewhere here on this site so you can search here and/or search the web for more information on that situation.

Well you will be in Texas - so they'll expect you to "Cowboy up". They may have to hog tie you :eek:

Seriously, when I had my cath done, I was only given an Ativan. For me the cath was no big deal.

i take ativan daily so the hog tie option is realistic. Ativan don't even phase me anymore. I know you probably think I'm joking.

What about an intravenous solution of Jagermeister?

Aaron:

The heart cath was a piece of cake. I enjoyed watching the procedure via the overhead monitor. Mine was done the day before my surgery.

I'd rather have a heart cath and be assured that my arteries are "whistle clean," than have OHS and have to undergo CABG on down the road because I had opted out of having a heart cath.

The heart cath was far better than the TEE. I liken a TEE to gargling with honey or molasses laced with proparacaine. Yech!

Aaron:

The heart cath was a piece of cake. I enjoyed watching the procedure via the overhead monitor. Mine was done the day before my surgery.

I'd rather have a heart cath and be assured that my arteries are "whistle clean," than have OHS and have to undergo CABG on down the road because I had opted out of having a heart cath.

The heart cath was far better than the TEE. I liken a TEE to gargling with honey or molasses laced with proparacaine. Yech!

you remember your TEE? They put me OUT for that one. :)

So, my legs are kinda fatty since I've been laid off work. Maybe I should lose a few pounds before this is done so they can get at the artery easier?

you remember your TEE? They put me OUT for that one. :)

So, my legs are kinda fatty since I've been laid off work. Maybe I should lose a few pounds before this is done so they can get at the artery easier?

I lucked out somehow -- never had the TEE. I feared the cath greatly, but was awake the whole time and talking to the cute nurses who were assisting the cardio (I recommend cute nurses :D) and found the whole thing surprisingly easy. Weirdest thing was at the end, when the cardio decided he wanted an even better look and shot some more dye up there, which gave me a warm rush (at least I think it was that, not the nurses. :D

Aaron, you ask some great questions that I never thought of. I guess some toning of the legs wouldn't hurt, but I honestly don't think it makes much difference since the groin area is just the entry point for this test.

was anyone here able to get their doctor to let them try coumadin? I called my cardiologist and it was basically a NOPE.

If you are already scheduled for your cath, then there is no way your cardiologist will want you to try out the coumadin prior to the procedure.

Perhaps afterwards, depending on how far out they will schedule your surgery?

Why not? If I'm allergic to coumadin or something weird like that and I have a mechanical implant that would be horrible.

Has anybody ever heard of anybody being allergic to coumadin??....I have never heard of it and I researched coumadin pretty well and talked to multiple doctors?..I would think if there was a slightest concern they would discuss it and test you (and everyone) for possible problems.

Has anybody ever heard of anybody being allergic to coumadin??....I have never heard of it and I researched coumadin pretty well and talked to multiple doctors…..I would think if there was a slightest concern they would discuss it and test you (and everyone) for possible problems.

It looks like it's all over the web to me. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=coumadin+allergy

I think it's a legit concern and if I have advanced knowledge that I'll need it i should at least see if I can tolerate it.

Even if you get a tissue valve, you probably will have to be on coumadin for at least 2 1/2 - 3 months or so.

I understand your anxiety and desire to test yourself on coumadin. We have read here about a few (out of a GREAT MANY) who report having a hard time with coumadin. It is rare but it does happen.

Latest posts

Back