Metropolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take Toprol XL, 50mg once per day. No noticeable side affects. I did read in an earlier post that some have some dizziness. I too have that occasionally, not sure it is medicine related though. Only effect it seems to have is a slower heart rate, but I am still as active as I want to be (push lawn mower, go to gym with reasonable workouts, etc.).

I was on a low dose 25 mg a day of Metroprolol post surgery for 6 weeks before being changed to increasing doses of Carvedilol (Coreg). I found Carvedilol had many more side effects (bad dreams, extreme fatigue and permanent headache) and after 3 months of feeling bad I asked the cardio to go back to Metoprolol, the cardio put back on Toprol XL the slow release version 97MG a day. The issues with Carvedilol went quickly are going back on Metoprolol. After 1 year my heart had remodelled and I was taken off beta blockers, my resting heart rate is now in the 60's with no beta blockers. I do work out at the gym 4-6 times a week at both weights and spin classes so are reasonable fit.

I really don't understand the popularity of carvedilol with docs when more selective BB alternatives are available. Generally speaking the more cardioselective they are the less side effects. Maybe there's some exclusive benefit I'm not aware of.

I really don't understand the popularity of carvedilol with docs when more selective BB alternatives are available. Generally speaking the more cardioselective they are the less side effects. Maybe there's some exclusive benefit I'm not aware of.

Last time I asked my surgeon's NP if carvedilol/Coreg will help improve my EF better than Toprol since I heard it did in some cases, her answer to me was that it helps EF during the first six months after the surgery (in my case).
I am OK on Toprol...I take a smal dose at night.

I take 75mg bid. No side effects here. When I tried to reduce dose to 50mg bid, my heart went into irregular rhythym, so I continued on 75mg again. If I have solos in the orchestra I perform with, it should help with nervous too high heart rate as well. That willl be great.

On Metoprolol shortly after my MVR in June 2008. I take 25mg twice daily, and have experienced some weight gain or inability to loose weight since taking it.
I also experience hair-loss and some low BP sometimes which causes diziness.

Puts me right to sleep in the evening, with some vivid dreams. It does seem to control my heart rate, and arythmia.

I was on Metoprolol at a pretty high dose for about eight years - started before my surgery. I frequently complained about it limiting how high I could get my rate during cardio training, and some "other" problems of the male-only variety. :eek:

Once I went on Sotalol for my flutter, I was finally able to talk my new cardio into getting me off Metoprolol. I was even able to get rid of the little blue pill. :D

I was on Metoprolol at a pretty high dose for about eight years - started before my surgery. I frequently complained about it limiting how high I could get my rate during cardio training, and some "other" problems of the male-only variety. :eek:

Once I went on Sotalol for my flutter, I was finally able to talk my new cardio into getting me off Metoprolol. I was even able to get rid of the little blue pill. :D

I'll take the leftovers Jonny!

:D

Because of my dilated aortic root (4.4cm) and dilated ascending aorta (5.2cm) they have me on THREE BP MEDS! :mad:

Metoprolol, Amlodipine, Enalapril. My BP is great but getting my heart rate up really affects my ability to "rise" my exercise tolerance. One morning recently it was 51bpm yet my BP was 123/71. After a cup of coffee and a S/S/S it was all the way up to 68bpm. My normal HR is usually around 80bpm. But I guess the meds are doing what they want them to do...slow down the "hammering away" at my aortic root and ascending aorta. Personally I can't wait to get my echo in November and hopefully get it fixed shortly thereafter. They already told me it wasn't a matter of if but when, so let's just do it!

I was taking 25 mg metoprolol split in 2 doses. I've experienced very low heart rate (45 while sitting at desk) some blurred vision. Very tired and shortness of breath. I didn't realize the constipation was from that - but there you go. I've had that too. Cardio just lowered my dose to 12.5 at bedtime. The 25 mg helped keep my heart rate down while still getting in a good workout. Not sure how well the 12.5 will do for me on that. First test today and it didn't take much to get my heart rate up there. But I'll just dial it back if I have to because I much prefer the way I feel with the 12.5. Some of the high doses I heard some of you are taking freaked me out. Wow. I can't imagine.

Rhena

On Metoprolol shortly after my MVR in June 2008. I take 25mg twice daily, and have experienced some weight gain or inability to loose weight since taking it.
I also experience hair-loss and some low BP sometimes which causes diziness.

Puts me right to sleep in the evening, with some vivid dreams. It does seem to control my heart rate, and arythmia.
I have the alopecia too(and weight gain) and while I am hypothyroid,
I am taking synthoid for it and have it under control.So, the metoprolol
is the culprit.
It is called "drug induced androgenetic telogen's"..not a large percetage get
this,but enough do for the med community to be aware of it. The article
that I read said that in females the hair is not lost in a pattern,it is lost
universally(or even throughout the scalp). They also say that women don't
usually proceed to total baldness as men sometimes do...thank heavens for small favors!!

Right now I'm trying to see if I can wean off the BB's and find another
med for the prevention of arrhythmias. like Bryan I am prone to Flutter.
And like Johnny I have trouble with exercise.
Gee..guess this isnt my favorite drug, but I would rather have most
of thse effects rather than have arrhythmias.

Sorry to throw a monkey-wrench into the works, but my experience with metoporol was terrible, and the brand name Toprol was only somewhat better. First of all, its primary purpose in slowing my heart rate didn't work too well, with my resting pulse over 80 bpm on 200 mg at the hospital. It was very disconcerting seeing the rest of the cardiac patients with nice slow pulses about 45-65 bpm on the telemetry strips, while mine seemed to be positively hopping in comparison. Later I felt horrible depression, breathing difficulties, partial blindness (mostly left eye) that would hit several times a day for a couple of minutes, forgetfulness, 'heavy leg' syndrome (where you feel partially paralyzed from the waist down, but I could still stand up with extreme concentration), and very low blood pressure (i.e. 90/65 and the like). On lower doses my pulse rate went up to 90, and the heavy leg syndrome got better, but most of the other side-effects remained, including a definite increase in hair loss--temporary as it turned out. There were some other symptoms, but due to the memory problems at the time, I can't recall exactly what they were. It was enough that Laura insisted that I be taken off the metoporol and put on the Toprol XL at 25 mg/day. Even then, it didn't really help my heart rate much, and the side-effects remained. Finally, about 3 months post-surgery, I was taken off the Toprol altogether. My pulse rate remained at 90 bpm for a few more months until I became much more physically active in the spring and summer of 2008, where it settled down into the 70s. Now it varies from 70s when I've been most physically active to 90s resting when I'm less fit. Despite the higher heart rate, the incidence of dangerous side-effects for me makes taking metoporol or any other related beta-blocker too risky for either me or Laura to swallow. I never suffered any arrhythmia, so I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm sincerely glad that those of you with positive experiences with metoporol and Toprol continue to do so. I just needed to be honest, but I also want to state that what happened to me is quite rare, so those of you who are worried about what you read here shouldn't worry about it too much. Just look out for the stuff mentioned and report it immediately to your doctor in the unlikely event of these side-effects happening.

Chris

I have been prescribed it for controlling short bouts of A Fib/Flutter that I've been having.
My BP is naturally quite low, so I am a bit worried about it going lower - I think that when I start I'll cut the 47.5 mg tabs in half and see how I go with that.

I also take 25mg a day 12.5 in the morning and 12.5mg at night. I haven't noticed any side effects that I would attribute to the metoprolol. I don't want to be on this forever (I already have 1 forever med) so I'll talk to my cardio went I see him in early Nov. for my first visit since AVR.

I'm young and a runner/weight lifter (for tone not mass) and I don't want any drug to hold me back.

Sorry to throw a monkey-wrench into the works,... First of all, its primary purpose in slowing my heart rate didn't work too well, with my resting pulse over 80 bpm on 200 mg at the hospital.

Chris
When I first started taking this drug in '07 , it was to prevent arrhythmia,
and even though I was on 150 mg bid,I still managed to break thru with
severe and persistent SVT/A.flutter,which took ablation to rid me of.

I am on Metoprolol, 50mg. 3x a day. I am presurgery (until Tuesday) and have AFib. I am hoping after surgery that I can at least reduce my dose.
I have been on this drug for 2 years and do find that I am sleepy about an hour after taking it and yes my arms and legs are cold. But other than that I don't even think about it. Seems to work to keep pressure under control.

Darrla:)

It is really interesting to hear about a really anti-metoprolol body. And good to know this med can make someone react so extremely. I am glad other options were available to chris!

What is making me want to post is that I started taking metoprolol for a-fib. I have taken 200mg a day for about 6.5 years. It keeps my heart rate down. I have no side effects I can discern. I feel so comfortable on that dose, but missing one dose means an increase in my heat beat batting around, so I know it is the right dose.

Here's a "silly me" story. Once a pharmacy wrote take 2 100mg in the Am and 2 in the evening. I did, and started having too much of a slow down and light-headedness. So I checked my pill bottle and realized I was taking 400mg a day! It's the pharmacy's bad for printing it wrong, and my bad for not checking the dosage when I first received it! I think my pacemaker really helped keep me on my feet until I figured it out.

I had an ablation when I got my new valve, in 9/06, but it only helped, not cured, my a-fib. I even forgot to mention it under my signature.

50 mg (25 mg twice daily)
Using Metoprolol for the past 5 weeks, I seem to have a continuing problem with constipation if I do not use a stool softener. My resting pulse rate is now 60 bpm and blood pressure (110/65) about 10 points lower than before surgery. I may also be experiencing some "pounding in the chest" which I will discuss with my surgeon in a few days. Just before waking, I have been experiencing very lucid dreams.

those dreams!!! wait til you fall outta bed fighting whatever demon is in your dreams. I have fallen out twice - once was getting away from a snake - the other time stabbing someone. didn't kill the snake and missed the 'someone' and hurt only me!!

My biggest problem with metropolol was insomnia! I would take it at night (that was the only way I could remember it consistently) and would fall right asleep. I would *always* wake up at 1-2 a.m. and stare at the clock or get up for a couple hours. I went on this way for 3 years!! I finally convinced my cardiologist to let me try another beta-blocker and I've been on atenolol for the past year. I actually can sleep the whole night now and don't have bizarre dreams anymore!

I was on Metrpolol for a few months prior to my surgery (MVR and AVR). The only real side effect I experienced was some dizziness and some lightheadedness when standing up.

Like others mentioned, I also experienced vivid dreams while on it. I kinda miss that part. :)

They took me off it for surgery and haven't put me back on it (I was taking it for a high HR, which is better since my surgery).

Latest posts

Back