Metropolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bridgette

If you are on this drug, what do you think of it and do you notice any side effects?
Spelling is probably wrong.

Bridgette:)

I’m on 25mg a day and notice no side effects ... They started me on 100mg before surgery and I was tired all the time ... Since my AVR / Ablation I have made it down to 25mg and have no problem .... I want to come off of it but my cardio insist I stay on it because of “past” A-Fib....

I was on a 25mg dose but quit taking it due to extreme constipation. That must be a common side effect because the cardiologist mentioned it when he wrote the prescription.
I guess it doesn't affect chimps in the same way.;)

I was on a 25mg dose but quit taking it due to extreme constipation. That must be a common side effect because the cardiologist mentioned it when he wrote the prescription.
I guess it doesn't affect chimps in the same way.;)

Almost any medication that can cause constipation causes it 10 times as much with me. However, I have no problem with Metoprolol (I only take 25 mg a day).

I'm on 50mg of Metropol! (SP?) I take it at night. It does seem to put me to sleep right away. I don't get constipated but I do eat a lot of spicy food. That tends to make for looser BM"S! :) Not diarhhea just looser, so I'm not straining. Actually even when I've gone on vacation though and haven't had anything spicy, I still don't get constipated taking that drug.

I do also take linsinopril in the morning, and by 2pm(during lunch) I need to take a 20 minute nap I get soo tired. So I lay my head down and sleep at my desk!

I'm currently taking 100mg a day (XL version) and have been since post op. That dosage should drop within a week or two. The side effects I noticed were some tingling in my fingers, dizziness and getting light-headed when standing. These side effects have subsided quite a bit over the last week or so and only happen on occassion. The drug does not make me tired and I take it in the morning.

any cold extremities or bizarre dreams? I am having trouble with both and am on atenolol. fell out of bed the other night chasing the baddie. missed him, dang it, but made a good attempt as I was falling to the floor. need to find a new med.

The med name is Metoprolol and it is a generic for Toprol and Lopressor.
Available as Metoprolol Succinate (slow release) or Metoprolol Tartrate (regular).

I take the regular, and find that taking 2 daily doses doesn't control my heart enough,
so I take it split into 3 or 4 doses--- Don't do this on your own, check with your doctor.
My side effects: being slow for the first hour after taking it, cold feet and hands, crazy dreams.

Im on it also, 25mgs a day, half in morning, half at night. Like Bina said, cold feet sometimes. Other than that, nothing really.

Since I do take the full 50mg at night, I do seem to have some crazy bizarre dreams. Very vivid too. If I read before I go to bed, I try to make it something pleasant. Of course sometimes that still will have no bearing on what kind of dream I'll have. :eek:

I was on 50 MG twice per day....then 25mg twice per day....then 12.5 twice per day...then nothing. My heart rate went up too much...so now on 25mg of the slow release at night. I had requested that I try to get off of it as I was so tired. I do have some light-headed spells and some dizzy...some where a black place comes from right to left over my right eye and then blurry in both eyes. I have not had that lately....

It has definately lowered my heart rate. It was in the low 70s, now in the low to mid 50s. But the Dr. says thats where they want it for now until the surgery due to the anurysm. I guess i do feel tired more, due to low heart rate.

Thanks everyone, for your input.
I have been prescribed the slow release tabs - brand name here is Betaloc CR. I am meant to take one tablet a day - the tabs are 47.5mg.

thanks. dreams are what I need to avoid. I disturb my daughter's rest and she has to get up for work. I have just stopped taking atenolol because of it.

I participate in my dreams, make noise and have fallen twice now. is there any beta blocker that does not cause this? it's become a real problem with me. thanks.

I take 250 mg of Metoprolol per day. 125 mg at breakfast and then again at dinner. I do get light headed sometimes when I stand up or when I bend down to pick up something off the floor and sometimes notice it once I walk up a flight of stairs. I also find myself going to bed earlier in the evening than I was before surgery and I'm 9 weeks post op. My heart rate was just about 100 bpm when I was discharged from the hospital and today before my cardiac rehab session my heart rate was 73. I have notice my heart rate as low as 64 when I take my bp just before bed time. So the medication has lowered my heart rate as my heart has remodeled itself after surgery.

I'm on it for many years, 50mg at night, now after surgery 100mg ...no side effects, my pressure has been normal since the surgery..

I took metoprolol (extended release) for 2 weeks and I found that it "wore off" way too quick. I ended up feeling my heart pounding after about 14 hours. My stomach also ached sometimes too.

Tenormin 50mg x 2/day served me well for about 5 years. I only tried metoprolol out of desperation for relief of asthma symptoms.

What do I take now? Bystolic. It has 4 times the half life and like 30 times the cardio selectivity. I don't feel like my heart is going to pop out of my chest after about half a day, which obviates the need for a twice a day regimen.

I was also on Vasotec for 5 years, 10mg twice a day. It also wore off too quick, but not as quick as the older beta blockers. I'm now taking Cozaar, which is really quite a bit more stable over a 24 hour period... at least for me.

I really, really, really like only needing to take two pills a day, and just the one time. It helps me feel much more... human. Making the switch to the newer meds definitely improved my quality of life. There are reasons the switch was good for me that guys taking beta blockers know about too.

When I was on a very high dose (>200mg/day) I had blurred vision at
certain times of the day-when the medicine was peaking I guess.
Now I am on a low dose and this hasn't happened this time around,though
I am experiencing the same mild hair loss as I had with the high dosage. I don't know why I have to be the lucky one,but it doesn't seem to be a common side effect as I have found it documented on the long list of adverse effects.It also seems to make my shortness of breath worse with exercise, but this can be hard to measure accurately as I have this anyway.

Back