Medical alert jewelry - what kind and what info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

Hi. Sorry, not sure which is the best forum for this topic. I have a mechanical valve and take coumadin. It strikes me as a good idea to wear something that indicates this to medical personal in case of emergency where I am unable to communicate. So some questions came up for me:

1) necklace vs bracelet? is one preferred to the other by medics? an EMT friend said that even though they are supposed to check, they often don't, but they do check pulse, so a bracelet would be seen during a pulse check. other thoughts on this?

2) metal jewelry vs sports band? Is this just a personal choice or is there a practical reason to prefer one to the other? I got a rubber, livestrong-style sports band customized with my name, phone number, and the word "anticoagulation". unfortunately, the yellow dye on it is wearing off and getting all over my clothes, so I need an alternative

3) information? what is the essential information to have on these? is it enough to say "anticoagulation" or should I be more specific and say "warfarin"? should in indicate blood type? should i put my insurance info on it? emergency phone number? keep it simple on the bracelet and refer them to an emergency card in the wallet (if you happen to be carrying a wallet)? interested in any thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot!
pem

Hi Pem, I was wondering all the same things as you about medical alert jewellery and engraving info. I decided to get a stainless steel chain bracelet, and on the front I had engraved "Heart Patient" and when you flip it over it has 1) my name, 2)"Meds - Warfarin" and 3)"Mechanical Valve" on the back side. I agree with you that other info could be in a wallet card, in fact they sent a wallet card with my order. A friend of mine has his engraved with so much info (doctors name, phone numbers etc.) it is impossible to read. I figure keep it simple. The main thing is the warfarin and the valve. I ordered mine from Universal Medical and it took about a week and a half to get here.
I had my surgery a few days after you on July 19th, and I'm finally feeling strong enough to do more stuff, like housework and gardening. I just didn't have the stamina to do much the first 8 weeks. I had some breathing issues (partially collapsed lung, and fluid around my heart and lungs.) I used up all my energy walking every day to get some exercise. I figured that was the most important thing to do as part of my recovery. I put everything else on hold.
Hope you are doing well,
Bev

I just hit the wrong button and lost my whole reply-ugh!

So this will be a shorter version :) Thanks for your note and sharing about your bracelet. Sorry you had the breathing issues (no such thing as a textbook recovery) and glad you are feeling stronger now! I think housework/gardening if not overdone gives a nice balance of distraction and exercise to aid recovery. My very best wishes to you, especially since we are in the same "graduating class" :)

Pem

Pem - Sometimes I think the simplest solutions are often the best. I have a very plain (and cheap - $11) wrap around band for my watch. It's easily visible, even more so for pulse checks obviously, and it defers to a wallet card for the more thorough information. Here's the site: http://www.id-technology.com/mediband.htm. This might seem like a budget solution and may not work for everyone, but for those like me, who never leave the house without a watch and a wallet, it works just great.

Hope you've been having a smooth return to normal.

I just purchased my third set (stupid heart) last week after being put back on coumadin for a third time. I'm now on it for life.

I bought a bracelet and necklace this time. Bracelets seem to be more common. On mine on the front I have.

Jane Doe
Meds: Warfarin,
Metoprolol

On the back I have:

Aort/Mitr. Valve Disease
DOB: 1/1/78
Doctor (312) 555-5555

I want them in the hospital to be able to contact my doctor if the emergency is heart related. Obviuously if it's an emergency surgery thing they might not have time, but if I'm out cold and a cardiac issue comes up I want it to be there. My name and DOB will identify me to my doctor. I don't care if the EMTs know it.

In the past I've had aspirin and other heart meds that have come and gone. I'm still on Aspirin and other non-cardiac meds, but Metoprolol and Coumadin are the two that effect my vitals and could lead to complications with other meds. I will also be on these for life.

I just purchased my third set (stupid heart) last week after being put back on coumadin for a third time. I'm now on it for life.

I bought a bracelet and necklace this time. Bracelets seem to be more common. On mine on the front I have.

Jane Doe
Meds: Warfarin,
Metoprolol

On the back I have:

Aort/Mitr. Valve Disease
DOB: 1/1/78
Doctor (312) 555-5555

I want them in the hospital to be able to contact my doctor if the emergency is heart related. Obviuously if it's an emergency surgery thing they might not have time, but if I'm out cold and a cardiac issue comes up I want it to be there. My name and DOB will identify me to my doctor. I don't care if the EMTs know it.

In the past I've had aspirin and other heart meds that have come and gone. I'm still on Aspirin and other non-cardiac meds, but Metoprolol and Coumadin are the two that effect my vitals and could lead to complications with other meds. I will also be on these for life.

One good thing about the Official MedicAlert jewelry http://www.medicalert.org/ is the 800 number and the patient ID number. (that the link Bina started is listed above) That way all you need to have on the emblem is the most important info..such as mech valve Coumadin.. and when they call the 800 number they will be told all the other important Info like Medical issues, Meds and their dossage, all your different doctors and their contact info. and your emergency contacts names and numbers (I think 3 different ones) oh yeah and your name lol

That way you dont have to change the emblem if you changes the meds beside Coum

PEM, Everyone is different, but Justin HATED the sports bands, every time he washed his hands or was playing sports it would get wet and stayed wet for a while (also got stinky after a while).. He always had necklaces beside that , since most times bedise pulses they listen to your heart and beside seeing the huges scars, they see the necklace...

They actually used Justins once, when he broke his arm and in an ambulance, both the EMT and ER room called medicalert and the ER actually had all his info before he even got there, which was a plus

Lyn mentioned some great reasons for going with medicalert. I'll have to consider getting with REAL Medicalert than the things I currently use. (I have an aluminum case that my phone fit into, and it says 'I take coumadin' and gives an emergency number - I'm assuming that, if I'm not conscious, someone will want to see if there are any contacts on my phone, and they'll see my information - I also have a medallion around my neck that has a wrong phone number on it). I suspect that EMTs are trained to look both for a pulse and for a medicalert necklace.

I wouldn't put insurance info on it, as it can change. There was a time my employer was changing carriers almost every year. Someone will go through your wallet if it's on your person and your're unconscious or unable to communicate.

Lyn, good point about the sports bands!

I have a necklace dog tag in sterling silver. I chose the dog tag over necklace because it makes me feel more manly. I think in a emergency situation a bracelet would be better but oh well. In front my tag has heart patient and coumadin on it on back it has my name the type of valve on one line next it has the type of graft I have next it has type pacemaker and next it has in bold do not MRI after that the next lines are filled with Bible scriptures. I also carry more detailed info in my wallet on a med info fold out card. The bulge on the upper left side and scar on my chest is also a dead giveaway that something is different bout me to whoever sees me topless. You could always get a tattoo : b

Last edited:
A tattoo would be great, but imagine if 20 years down the road I get my mech replaced with a Bovine and then
I'm still stuck with a well wrinkled tatt that reads Mech AVR/Coumadin...LOL

Great idea! Thanks - I'll look into it.

Recovery has been pretty good. Mowed my front lawn! I have to schedule my cardiac rehab next.

pem

Great practical advice - thanks!

I like the idea that name and d.o.b. helps hospital look-ups.
pem

One good thing about the Official MedicAlert jewelry http://www.medicalert.org/ is the 800 number and the patient ID number. (that the link Bina started is listed above) That way all you need to have on the emblem is the most important info..such as mech valve Coumadin.. and when they call the 800 number they will be told all the other important Info like Medical issues, Meds and their dossage, all your different doctors and their contact info. and your emergency contacts names and numbers (I think 3 different ones) oh yeah and your name lol

Good points - thanks. Sounds like a pretty good bet. For me, I like my "LiveStrong" style band in part because it makes me feel sporty instead of medical - if that makes sense. So there's a psychological factor. But the practical benefits of what you describe may outweigh those benefits. I'll give it some thought.

THanks,
pem

I do not think it really matters wether it is a braclet or a necklace. the important thing is to have one. I think first responders will check both places.

Mine says COUMADIN and because I had room, I added MECH AVR

Thanks, Scott. Those bits of info seem most immediately relevant.
pem

I have a necklace dog tag in sterling silver. I chose the dog tag over necklace because it makes me feel more manly. I think in a emergency situation a bracelet would be better but oh well. In front my tag has heart patient and coumadin on it on back it has my name the type of valve on one line next it has the type of graft I have next it has type pacemaker and next it has in bold do not MRI after that the next lines are filled with Bible scriptures. I also carry more detailed info in my wallet on a med info fold out card. The bulge on the upper left side and scar on my chest is also a dead giveaway that something is different bout me to whoever sees me topless. You could always get a tattoo : b

I actually considered a tattoo :)

A tattoo would be great, but imagine if 20 years down the road I get my mech replaced with a Bovine and then
I'm still stuck with a well wrinkled tatt that reads Mech AVR/Coumadin...LOL

If you can handle a valve replacement, surely you can handle a tattoo replacement ;)

Good points - thanks. Sounds like a pretty good bet. For me, I like my "LiveStrong" style band in part because it makes me feel sporty instead of medical - if that makes sense. So there's a psychological factor. But the practical benefits of what you describe may outweigh those benefits. I'll give it some thought.

THanks,
pem

The problem I see with a livestrong type bracelet, is everyon wears them and so many different colors etc, I can't imagine ER personel or EMT checking all the old silicone bracelets to see if they might have important information. At least that is our experience in all the different times Justin ende up in ERs or hospitals with his various "cause' type bracelets on. especially older faded ones

The necklaces /jewelry, that are clearly marked or well known as medic alert type jewelrry has been checked and even used the time he neeeded it. even when the paint faded off

Latest posts

Back