Medical alert jewelry - what kind and what info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no connection with them other than having purchased a wristband I really like but there is a huge selection of wristbands, bracelets and necklaces at http://www.stickyj.com/ Some of it is attractive enough that you would wear it without the info. Obviously it can say whatever you want it to. Mine just says Mecanical AVR and Anticoagulated. That may be too little but as someone else mentioned, sometimes less is more. I do have a tattoo now though on my left wrist since I work with machinery, and can't wear jewelry while working, and am also very forgetful. It is just the symbol on the top, and info on the inside. If anything changes, I'll just go back to the tattoo artist. No big deal. Also no big deal getting tattooed while anticoagulated, in case anyone wonders.

I have two, quite by accident. I bought one based on the surgical team's recommendation from American Medical ID, or something like that, that has my name, MECHANICAL VALVE, and COUMADIN on it. After this I started browsing this site and found out about Medic Alert, and I bought one of those with the annual subscription. It has different wording but the same basic affect, although with the 1 800 number the team can get so much more information. I have to keep updating my meds, though, as they have changed quite a bit over the last six months. The good news is that you can do so relatively easily, and they send you a new wallet card and update the online records. Now if my valve manufacturer would respond as quickly...

The problem I see with a livestrong type bracelet, is everyon wears them and so many different colors etc, I can't imagine ER personel or EMT checking all the old silicone bracelets to see if they might have important information. At least that is our experience in all the different times Justin ende up in ERs or hospitals with his various "cause' type bracelets on. especially older faded ones

The necklaces /jewelry, that are clearly marked or well known as medic alert type jewelrry has been checked and even used the time he neeeded it. even when the paint faded off

That point is well-taken - thank you!
pem

I have no connection with them other than having purchased a wristband I really like but there is a huge selection of wristbands, bracelets and necklaces at http://www.stickyj.com/ Some of it is attractive enough that you would wear it without the info. Obviously it can say whatever you want it to. Mine just says Mecanical AVR and Anticoagulated. That may be too little but as someone else mentioned, sometimes less is more. I do have a tattoo now though on my left wrist since I work with machinery, and can't wear jewelry while working, and am also very forgetful. It is just the symbol on the top, and info on the inside. If anything changes, I'll just go back to the tattoo artist. No big deal. Also no big deal getting tattooed while anticoagulated, in case anyone wonders.

If you can figure out how to post a photo of your tattoo - that would be way cool :)
pem

Back