March 23rd for my AVR in Rochester, NY

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsmithii

I was originally scheduled for March 10th, but I got the dreaded call last week saying that my surgery had been rescheduled. Probably would have been changed anyway, as I have a case of the sniffles.

This is my third OHS, the first was a dilation by Dr. Bove in 1980, the second a Ross by Dr. George Alfeiris in 1997, and now a mechanical AVR and conduit for my 6 cm aortic aneurysm.

Right now, not so much nervous as anxious, but I am sure that will change. Can't sleep, and I take solace in the words and experiences of others.

I have seen a few on here get their surgery dates changed, if they want to change mine, it will have to be later, than sooner....I am too busy doing spring cleaning :) I understand exactly what you mean about not being able to sleep !!! I can not remember the last time I slept through the night, I think anxiety is playing mind games with me....and I really do not want to play !
Best of luck, and positive thoughts going your way. When I leave the "Waiting Room".. I will make sure the room is clean, the refrigerator stocked, good reading material available, soft music playing and I will leave the light on for you :)
Renee

Hi jdsmithii,

I, too was rescheduled prior to my surgery and others have gone through this as well. I can appreciate the anxiety that comes when we get 'geared' up for the day, and then are told 'no'...you have to wait a while longer.
I am hoping that you can continue to keep busy during these few weeks and that is flies by for you.
Take care,

We all had that anxiety before surgery....but at a certain point it turns to a more peaceful acceptance and before you know it....you are waking up. I'm just next door to you near Buffalo Ny and you are in my thoughts and prayers......Warm Hugs and best wishes.....Michael

Hi jdsmithii,

Best wishes on the upcoming surgery. My surgeon told me that the thing that has improved for patients is the aftercare, so you may find this experience more manageable than the last two. I hope so.

(It's a good idea to ask for sleeping pills. You really need to be rested as you go in--it's part of taking of yourself.)

Welcome to another Syracusan! I'm kind of surprised by you going to Rochester for surgery, but I am sure you have found someone you trust there. You certainly have lots of experience on heart surgery! Good luck on your surgery, and keep on posting!

Are you having your surgery at Strong? That's where I had mine. We had a very good experience there if that's the case.. Good Luck

My son had heart surgery maybe by the same Dr Bove for a pulmonary valve & a large part of the conduit done @ the UofM hospitals in 1993. That was his 2nd OHS. It's lasted for 18yrs & only now are they talking about inserting by groin vein a Melody valve to replace it. WOW. Heart surgery has come a long way.
I'm sure that you will also be the recipient of those same advances. Good Luck & God speed!
Daiva

Jdsmithii,
Are you going to the same surgeon Dr G. A. again? You must feel comfortable with his skills. I could see on his bio a lot of pediatric cardiology articles. What has he said about any BAV / connective tissue disorders? Does that influence his recommendations? Since you said you were going mechanical, which valve does he like to use? Did you ask whether he uses the On-X or the new ATS, or is it always their "gold standard" St Jude mechanical?
I hope you get over the sniffles quickly. Better to talk to them about it if you still have a cold when it gets closer to the new date .

Fischje,
What kind of mechanical valve did you get? Were you able to discuss options? Which surgeon did you have there? Who recommended them to you?
That's a closer teaching hospital to me than some of the bigger name places, but I haven't had any surgical consults yet and haven't decided where to start.

I have St.Jude .. In terms of that no I didn't discuss options.. Dr.Peter Knight and we liked him alot.. I live in Buffalo so I was referred there by my cardiologist

Have not discussed mech. AV options yet

Have not discussed mech. AV options yet

I had my Ross here in Syracuse in 1997 with Dr. Alfieris, but I guess he is more comfortable doing the AVR in Strong. I am happy that people have had good experiences there.

Also, the Dr. Bove I had moved to Michigan or Minnesota, so I am positive they are one in the same. I have heard he has done tremendous things in pediatric cardiology.

My main concern going over the mountain is what level of activity I will be allowed. I am a fit, spry 30 year old guy that loves 5 on 5 basketball, snowboarding, and riding my motorcycle. Now, I know the motorcycle is out, and I already sold the snowboard, but I really do love basketball. My concern is going on Coumadin, as I have broken my nose playing ball before and I bled like a stuck pig when I just took a baby aspirin.

Thanks to all for the kind words. These 13 days can't go fast enough.

One last thing: has anyone with an aortic aneurysm experienced any issues with food getting stuck in your esophagus while eating? It has been an issue for me over the last couple of years, and I was wondering if it was related to my AA.

jimmy

Interesting. Where is the aneurism on the aorta? From a non-medical viewpoint it seems logical that one thing taking up extra space could interfere with/obstruct something else that it might be pressing on.
I briefly read an article about a case with a congenitally split (as in 2 branches) aorta, that was compressing ... well it was either the esophagus or the windpipe, maybe both.

Fischje,
Was he the type to discuss mechanical valve brands with you? Do surgeons there limit your choice to only mechanical or tissue, and prefer to decide the rest themselves? Seems reasonable to think there might be sizing issues and nearby coronary vessels that might affect placement and make some types of valves fit better than others. But if all things were the same, would they let you request an On-X or an ATS? Do they work with those brands at that hospital?

I can't think of a connection between food getting stuck in your esophagus while eating and an AA, sorry. Are you a "bad" eater, like not chewing a lot, drinking a lot with your meals ("washing it down") and such? I had my OHS in-between having 4 or 5 teeth pulled, and getting implants for them -- and now I'm supposed to wait 'til 6 months post-op before seeing a dentist up-close! In the interim, I'm a much "worse" eater than I used to be, and I can tell that I'm at higher risk of getting something stuck. . .

I can't think of a connection between food getting stuck in your esophagus while eating and an AA, sorry. Are you a "bad" eater, like not chewing a lot, drinking a lot with your meals ("washing it down") and such? I had my OHS in-between having 4 or 5 teeth pulled, and getting implants for them -- and now I'm supposed to wait 'til 6 months post-op before seeing a dentist up-close! In the interim, I'm a much "worse" eater than I used to be, and I can tell that I'm at higher risk of getting something stuck. . .

Actually I am pretty sure difficulty swallowing can be one of the symptons of an AA. Depending where the AA is and how large it can press against your esophagus so food has trouble getting stuck. Of course it could be caused by something besides an AA, but it is one of the symptons

hi JImmy,

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way....I will be seeing my surgeon on the 22nd of March to set my surgical date....I am hopefully getting a tissue valve...( I am 58) and maybe a repair to my TAA...it is small but he is concerned about it already....I also have difficulty swallowing sometimes.....even if I am drinking water if I drink it too fast......I feels like it sticks...very strange feeling...I will keep you in prayers and remember to stay positive.....prayer is sooo powerful......I know we will all be fine.

Jeri

Latest posts

Back