I have a surgery date! Now it feels real...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieB

Hey everyone.

Met the cardiac surgeon today here in Kansas City, MO. Very nice appointment. He answered all my questions. Met the very nice Nurse Practitioner and she could not have been any more helpful. Talked to me like the nurse and mom I am. Overall a very positive experience.

I am leaning toward mechanical. My surgeon says he is most comfortable with the St Jude valve. I am starting to get used to the idea I can manage my life as a person on Coumadin.

Set my surgery date for Feb 8th. Gives me time to get my ducks in a row. I have 2 kids and a husband and no grandparents to help, but surrounded by a great church and school family.

Oh boy. Here I go. Still cannot believe this is happening to me!

Still cannot believe this is happening to me!

I know the feeling. Fortunately the outcomes are usually great and the recovery time not all that bad all things considered. You having trust in your surgeon and his staff is a big plus. My first surgery my wife and I took off the weekend before, made a nice little vacation of it which helped take my mind off the upcoming surgery. My second surgery I spent 5 days in the hospital prior to surgery day. Wasn't nearly as effective in taking my mind of the surgery. :)

Find some people at your church that can cook well and you'll be very grateful you did. In the meantime just try and relax, oh and get things out of the way like hair cuts, and trimming your toe nails. My surgery was a few weeks early than planned as an emergency and I regretted not getting a haircut and shaving my legs. Without grandparents see if a helpful relative would like to stay and help you out when you get home. I don't have kids and my husband had his hands ful with just me. My mom would come by on her days off to help with cooking but I wish I had one of my cousins come stay with me.

Hi Maggie, Think we're going to be buddies ... but you're leading the way. I'm a 42 yo mum of an 8yo girl with a great husband and friends but no family around. I'm having a mechanical valve replacement done on Feb 22 in Melbourne, Australia. I'm also thinking I should be able to manage on Warfarin.
Let's keep talking ....!

Allison
BAV in need of AVR; also missing right coronary artery that requires something done surgically!
Surgery Feb 22

Maggie and Allison - I'll be right behind you (March 1). Looks like the Class of 2011 is getting off to a roaring start!

BTW, Maggie, Just keep thinking about getting back out for some Bar-B-Que! My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting KC numerous times a few years ago and kept finding more great restaurants than we had meals to eat. Great city!

I elected to have a mechanical valve when it came time to replacing my aortic valve. I weighted the options and decided i didn't want to have another open heart surgery, two was plenty for me.
I do not regret my decision though the blood thinner game can be tough at times.
You will do just fine. Best of luck and yo will be home soon.
tom

Good luck, yes this is really happening and is is a gift that they found it, can fix it and you will live to fight another day. You will do Great and will have a lot to look forward to...
I am waiting to find out when my surgery will be...sure wish I had a date...safe journeys all!!!
Jeff

Hi...I am also having AVR on Feb. 8..my second one. I now have a St Jude mechanical valve which has lasted 25 years. I was 37 at the time. I also have an aortic aneurysm that is going to be repaired. I have not made my decision as to whether to have another mechanical valve or tissue valve. After being on coumadin for 25 years I am seriously thinking about having the tissue because of the problems with coumadin. I have never been able to regulate my protimes....I go to a protime clinic and follow all instructions religiously. So got my list of questions for my surgeon tomorrow and will make a final decision then. I understand that a tissue valve has the risks of surgery again (I am now 62) but maybe by the time I need another surgery the medicial field will be vastly improved...as it has the past 25 years. Good luck to you on the 8th.

Jane

I am a new member who just got my surgery date of Feb 16th. I will be getting st.judes mechanical and a single bypass...I'd just like to wish you well...

Another one! Another Steve, and you are a member of the Class of 2011!

I'm scheduled for a tissue aortic valve replacement and a single bypass on March 1.

Go Class of 2011!

A heartfelt welcome to the family
highs.gif

epstns/Steve will have trouble with the class of 2011 now having two Steves
Tom do yourt best to keep them toeing the line
smiley2582.gif

I am a new member who just got my surgery date of Feb 16th. I will be getting st.judes mechanical and a single bypass...I'd just like to wish you well...

I elected to have a mechanical valve when it came time to replacing my aortic valve. I weighted the options and decided i didn't want to have another open heart surgery, two was plenty for me.
I do not regret my decision though the blood thinner game can be tough at times.
You will do just fine. Best of luck and yo will be home soon.
tom

Hey MaggieB,
I am also of KCMO. I go to KU MED for my cardio checkups. Had surgery in no longer there Independence Regional. No longer do I have to worry about how rude the one nurse was to me. She was rushing me out of the hospital with no way home, no key to my place. I had to wait till got there to get me home, he had everything. I am sure we you are is a lot better, that was in 2001. I love nurses, just not the mean ones.
I have a St Judes valve and on warafin. Still active and doing well. Your kids will be fine in learning to help you while you recoup. You will be fine. Any questions, ask here. There are a lot of information here to get from experience. Take care.

Back