I am having a-fib for the first time, back in the ER

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pat, it broke my heart to hear you were dealing with this. While in Cleveland I had a spectacular recovery. When I got home everything began to change. Tomorrow they'll drain my lungs. I don't know how many more needles I can take. 3 am blood pressure checks, and laying only back for over three weeks makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. I haven't had a-fib since they started the solatol. I hope it stays this way. I'm deathly afraid of going home only to have more a-fib. Oh for people that have this I have a question, how do you deal with it at home, as soon as my heart started acting up I knew it was a-fib and my cardio told me to take extra loppressor and wait it out, it just didn't seem like an option to wait it out. It freaked me out. How do you wait them out at home?

Hi Pat, it broke my heart to hear you were dealing with this. While in Cleveland I had a spectacular recovery. When I got home everything began to change. Tomorrow they'll drain my lungs. I don't know how many more needles I can take. 3 am blood pressure checks, and laying only back for over three weeks makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. I haven't had a-fib since they started the solatol. I hope it stays this way. I'm deathly afraid of going home only to have more a-fib. Oh for people that have this I have a question, how do you deal with it at home, as soon as my heart started acting up I knew it was a-fib and my cardio told me to take extra loppressor and wait it out, it just didn't seem like an option to wait it out. It freaked me out. How do you wait them out at home?

If you're home alone and not doing well, call 911 or have someone take you to the ER. I know a hospital is the last thing you'd want; however, if an extra lopressor is not helping, you probably should be seen.

Michelle, I've had most of the same setbacks that you've had. I know how rough it probably seems for you now, but it will get better. Take it easy. Take it slow.

I am in the hospital already, I'm just worried about at home. It's been almost 24 hrs on the solatol and no episodes but 24 hrs isn't much. I just wonder at home if the solatol will continue working and if I still do get a-fib if it's going to be more tolerable. I think I'll be in here until Friday, they want to drain my lung but I haven't seen a pulmonary dr yet so I don't have to worry about going home too soon. It just bring me back to the days when I'd have panic attacks so bad that I was afraid to make plans, go out of town, sometimes even leave my house. I didn't want to have a panic attack in public. The a-fib feels the same to me. I'm going to find a counselor to deal with all of this. I don't want it to get out of control.

Michelle I hope it all works out. I went to disney .. got some palps and accelerated heart rate but nothing that just laying in bed and relaxing doesnt help with the meds im on..

@Newguy. I am 5 weeks post op today. I saw cardio yesterday and he said I sounded good was suprised I was having ANY issues with A-Fib sporatic beats or anything. They are sending me a holter monitor to record any events and will adjust medication if needed...

The good new is .. IM clear to drive... IM clear to get in the pool... My neck and back are still sore and I need more stamina. I meet with Cardio Rehab on Friday to discuss my regimen. I will probably go back to work the week of August 30th.

when I was still in hospital post op, one night I woke up with a HR of 170 and was given Sotalol... it's good stuff.
At home I only take Metoprolol and sometimes I still get the fast HR and jumpy heart. I seem to be stuck with it for now, and I totally understand your anxiety about all of this. It can be very nerve-wracking. One day at a time, okay?

Michelle, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say you definitely go through a period of feeling vulnerable after this surgery. I know I did after mine two years ago and it wasn't my first go at the rodeo. Make a list of your specific concerns, like what to do if you go back into a-fib at home, and address them with your Dr. before you are discharged. Be sure to either have someone there with you or write it all down because even at the stage you are at, I found my mind was still a bit fuzzy. Then once you get home, try and relax. If you have some xanax or something like it, it might be a good time to take it, and if you don't have any, you might ask for some until you start feeling confident in your health again.

Kim

I appreciate you guys being here so much. Nobody can understand the crap we've dealt with. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the world. I am starting to get a second wind. I can get through this. I've hit many speed bumps but I think it should be a smoother ride after this.

A-fib is a setback for sure; it makes you feel vulnerable, and as if you are going in the wrong direction. My electrician came out with the big guns, which was amioderone. It did seem to work, but now I am afraid to get off of it. In a way I wish he would have tried some less toxic meds first. If your doc is trying different things before the Amioderone I would say give it time. Hope you get better

Sorry this happened ... I had a few bumps in the road myself ... week one post op I developed fluid around the heart, week two I had to go back in the hospital for three pints of blood, week three I went into a-fib and had to be cardioverted (shocked) back into proper rhythm ... since those three episodes it has all been up hill ... I have had a few minor thing that were never explained but my health is great and life is good ... it takes time to fully recover, it will come!

Hello, it's been almost 36 hours since my a-fib and they are still monitoring me with the solatol. I have my fingers crossed. Today I think I almost had it again my heart rate went from 80 to 94 to 80 in a matter of seconds, it freaked me out and I gave myself a panic attack because I really really hope this medication works. I'm hoping that since that happened and lasted only seconds perhaps it's doing it's job. It was nice to get an Ativan injection. I feel better now. So I'm hoping this solatol will keep me from dealing with afib again. Okay the Ativan is really kicking in now, nap time.

Michele -

How long have you been on the SOTALOL (not solatol)?
It can take some time to become fully effective (days, maybe even weeks).
Did they hospitalize you for the first few days?
(just curious... that is the usual "recommendation" but not always followed)

'AL C'

I started it immediately after my last afib which was 36 hrs ago. They are letting me leave the hospital now. I should be so nervous, I'm only 5 minutes to the er. So I'm just going to go home calmly as possible.

Michelle,

You sound so much like me....I could've written it. I had a-fib right out of the hospital and it scared me to death! I never, ever ever ever want to deal with that again. I insisted on staying on my Amiodarone because it worked. I am one yr out on July 16 and still on it. They will drag it from my dying hands because I refuse to give it up. THAT is how scared I am of my a-fib coming back. I was cardio converted one time. I pray every night that I never have a-fib again. I don't know if others fear this as much as I do, but I have never been more miserable in my life. My HR was only 150 or so and I felt horrible. I couldn't do anything because the way my heart was beating took up all my thoughts. My Cardiologist told me he wouldn't be surprised if I didn't go into a-fib and stay there more than I stayed out because of the size of my left atrium! I had rather die, and I am not playing. I simply cannot live with a-fib.

Anyway, I think it is very common to go in at least once after surgery. Maybe this will be the one and only time you have to deal with it.

Mileena

Did you only have it that one time or did you have it again? I am going to lose my mind. I'm home now sitting here obsessively listening to my heart. My bpm is really low. I'm normally at 90+ and the sotalol has it in the 60s. I feel like I'm dragging. It took me almost a whole two minutes to make it up my stairs. I also had to have my husband dress me. I hope I get used to this quick. I feel like post-op day two as far as energy goes. A-fib is a nightmare.

Lying down I'm having a few stray PVCs and each one makes me more and more nervous. I just have to remember worrying will not help me and in a situation involving trying not to have palps it will probably make it worse. Please people tell me the sotalol will and is working and I have nothing to worry about. I don't want the truth anymore. My mind is going to be the end of me. So tell me how I'm past the worst and I'll be fine. Honestly I was more comfortable (mentally) the night before surgery than I am here the first night home since a-fib.

Michelle, I'm sorry no one saw this last night so you could have gotten some responses to hopefully calm your mind. PVC's may not feel that great and be annoying, but they are benign. I have them every single day, and always at night when I lie down to go to bed. Look, the Sotalol is obviously working because you are not in a-fib and even if you do go back into a-fib, you said you live very close to the ER. Try not to let a-fib scare you so much. We have several members who have lived in a-fib for years now and are living normal lives. Maybe it would help you to talk to one of them about their experieces...knowledge is power. If you do happen to go back into a-fib, there are other treatments available. You have to realize this is just your hearts way of responding to what has been done to it.

Now that you are out of the hospital, you may want to search out a therapist who specializes in dealing with patients who have medical issues. I saw one for a while after surgery and I definitely found it to be helpful.

I hope that somehow you were able to find some sleep. Hang in there, ok?

Kim

Latest posts

Back