I am having a-fib for the first time, back in the ER

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

So I've had all the complications besides pneumonia. Wow, I'll never complain about a PVC again.

Hopefully they'll be able to stop it soon and you'll start feeling better. I'm sorry you've had so many complications.

Kim

A first step with A-Fib is to put the patient on Coumadin / Warfarin to prevent Clot Formation.

Several of our members have good success with Sotalol to suppress A-Fib.
It is recommended that patients be hospitalized for a few days while the body adjusts 'just in case' a dangerous arrhythmia is triggered during this period.

Many Doctors like to use Amiodarone because "it works" but can have nasty side effects if taken in too high a dose or for too long. Do a Search or Google "Amiodarone" to learn about the side effects of this drug and how it works.

'AL Capshaw'

This really sucks. I wish I could catch a break. It's like one day forward and one week back.

Sorry Michelle. For most of us, the A-fib was quickly corrected. Hoping this resolves quickly for you too. I was briefly readmitted and put on Sotalol for three months and while I was in the hospital too I was given some magnesium IVs. Mineral balance is really important for keeping our beats steady. Do they still have you doing the spirometer? I did mine for a long time until my cardio said I could quit. They're so helpful at strengthening our lungs. One of my friends just had her hip replaced last week and when I went to visit her I saw that she had been given a spirometer too.

Don't get discouraged Michelle! Many of us went through afib. I got it about 2 wks post op, and also went back to the ER. But my stay was pretty short-lived (actually 2 visits over the course of a week). They'll tell you (and I'm now convinced they're right) that it's a very common part of the healing process. I know it's scary and not fun though. So hopefully you'll come out of it soon. I'm one of the ones they put on Amiodarone - it seemed to help, and I was only on it for 3 months (not long enough to cause any damage - I hope). And now that I've been off it a couple wks - so far so good - no more afib.

I also seam to be doing well with the amioderone to stop the afib, and I was in constant afib for 8 days. To tell the truth, my best result came when I added fish oil to my regimant. They are having a trial here at Vanderbilt that involves taking fish oil for patients with post surgery afib. I am such a believer that it has helped my afib, that I don't want to risk being a placebo.

A little tip I have learned about fish oil; if it stinks, you don't want it. That dark stinky stuff is fish plant run-off; you may as well drink dumpster juice. Spend extra money for the pure stuff.

I hope you feel better, please keep us posted.

I also had to go the hospital for a few days for a-fib after 2 weeks out of surgery. They will get you straightened out in a short time. I know the bumps are frustrating.Most
all of us have had a few. Hang in there it does get better!

They put me in the ICU, the ameridol or whatever it's called (sorry I'm delirious they gave me ativan), well the one a lot of you take made me have more. Now we are doing good with dioxin and listrol (sp?). I'm crossing my fingers for no more. Goodnight. Update in the morn.

To tell the truth, my best result came when I added fish oil to my regimant. They are having a trial here at Vanderbilt that involves taking fish oil for patients with post surgery afib. I am such a believer that it has helped my afib, that I don't want to risk being a placebo.

A little tip I have learned about fish oil; if it stinks, you don't want it. That dark stinky stuff is fish plant run-off; you may as well drink dumpster juice. Spend extra money for the pure stuff.

I hope you feel better, please keep us posted.

Interesting..! I've never had a-fib, but do take fish oil on a daily basis since it's supposed to be good for you.

Hope you had a good night Michelle..

Sotirol and digoxin are wring for me so far. I also learned a trick. In the middle of an afib episode I'm able to go back to normal temporarily if I tie a deep breathe and then bear down like making a bowel movement.

Sorry to learn Michelle. I had 2 rounds of a-fib and was put on Multaq 4 days ago and so far so good. Multaq is a newer drug much like Amiodarone but without many of the nasty side effects. A-fib seemed to put me back about a week too. I'm getting stronger now though, yesterday was my best day yet and today looks great so far!

Doug

Sorry to learn Michelle. I had 2 rounds of a-fib and was put on Multaq 4 days ago and so far so good. Multaq is a newer drug much like Amiodarone but without many of the nasty side effects. A-fib seemed to put me back about a week too. I'm getting stronger now though, yesterday was my best day yet and today looks great so far!

Doug
Glad to read that you are feeling better too, Doug. That A-fib can be quite exhausting!

I hope that after I get out if the hospital I don't have a-fib again. If I do I hope at least it is short and not so intense so I don't end up back here again. I'm so so so sick of being in hospitals.

Im an Afibber. I am on Amiadrone Lopressorer and Cardizem. I hade to have Cardioversion done to correct mine. Still get palps and flutters about once a week.

Robb,

How long since since the a-fib probs began? Did you have it before surgery or only after and when was your surgery? I assume recently because you're still on the Amidarone. I had the cardioversion once myself.

Doug

Michelle

Sorry to hear about your a fib Been there an done that for quite a few days in the hospital. I am now on coumadin and amioderone which has stopped it. I still feel like the Mack truck is on me.

I wish you the best with what little energy I have.

Pat

Latest posts

Back