I am due for a colonoscopy Monday 11/29/2010

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg a

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I did a search for "colonoscopy"' and most led me to talk about anti coag topics ....while I had a "mitral ring" in 2007 and I now take antibiotics before dental work there was no mention of it now....thoughts?

I am not afraid to admit I am nervous about this with my surgical track record

I am also nevous as this is my third one in my life (two in thirteen months due to a few polyps and one so large he could not get it all at once) and that was some ten years ago and adding to the nerves is tht fact that my dad had two bouts of colon cancer but he beat them both ....not a feat I want to challemge

Then the doc says to me "if I snip a polyp and it bleeds with your history there is a high morbidity rate":eek2:

Damn I hate being this way oh well gotta roll the dice I guess

Last edited:
Greg:

You'll do fine. Did you find this thread?

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...New-Colonoscopy-Instructions&highlight=polyps

Don't think Warrenr has posted in a while. You'll notice that several posters had had polyps removed while on warfarin. My last colonoscopy was done while on warfarin, although I did agree to drop to 2.5.
BTW, my mother had colon cancer surgery 33 years ago, and her mother had colon cancer surgery in about 1965. I've had 2 colonoscopies; one of my sisters has had several; however, my other sister is playing ostrich.

I did a search for "colonoscopy"' and most led me to talk about anti coag topics ....while I had a "mitral ring" in 2007 and I now take antibiotics before dental work there was no mention of it now....thoughts?

I am not afraid to admit I am nervous about this with my surgical track record

I am also nevous as this is my third one in my life (two in thirteen months due to a few polyps and one so large he could not get it all at once) and that was some ten years ago and adding to the nerves is tht fact that my dad had two bouts of colon cancer but he beat them both ....not a feat I want to challemge

Then the doc says to me "if I snip a polyp and it bleeds with your history there is a high morbidity rate":eek2:

Damn I hate being this way oh well gotta role the dice I guess

Will be putting YOU on calendar.....praying all goes well. :).

Not sure about the prophylactic issue now as I understand there have been revisions about antibiotics when it comes to basic dental work. Cardiologist said yesterday I didn't need for dentist today but I will need for root canal next week :p.

That being said I would think for anything colon or gyno etc antibiotics would seem to be prudent.

You are smart, have overcome many obstacles so I know you will insure to get the best health care for you.

Take care !!

~Blue

Just wanted to wish you well with your upcoming colonoscopy, Greg! I don't blame you one bit for being apprehensive about it!

My PCP has been hounding me forever to get one scheduled but I've yet to do so. Mainly, because the doctors here will NOT do it unless I get off coumadin for 4 days prior to the procedure! Sure they say they'll watch my bridging w/Lovonox & everything, but I'm still frightened to do it!

Good luck!

Just had mine done a few months ago and did have a bag of antibiotics hung iv style before the procedure.

Somehow I got talked into one of those myself for December the 13th...I've already had 2 phone calls about the antibiotics and I'm definitely getting them.

Kim

Latest posts

Back