Hurry up and wait

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tell-Tale Heart

I'm new here, but thankful for the valuable info on this site. Having my 2nd OHS soon. First AVR was 20 yrs ago, so lots has changed. I'll keep reading (and remembering stuff). I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way.......
Feels good to know I'm not alone. :smile2:

Welcome back Tell-tale! Good luck with your second procedure. I think you will be amazed by how far things have come regarding the surgery. I look forward to participating on your postings. Good luck!

Tom

WELCOME to our OHS family ....be sure to let us know your surgical date or as Tabitha recently called it HLF date so wee can add you to the family calendar

I'll be spending some time here getting to know all of you and learning everything I can in the weeks leading up to what I call HLF day (HoLeeeee F____ Day!).

I'm glad this forum is here.

Yes, I guess 20 years is a good run.
Using a human valve was still a "new" procedure in 1992, especially in New England. I requested it to my surgeon (first one he did). At that time, it was thought the homograft valve was "one and done", at least until I reached an age far advanced from where I am now. But I've had no complaints, and was feeling great until recently.
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the On-X this time, but haven't worked through all the details with my surgeon yet.
Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Tell-Tale,

Welcome to this great forum. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming decisions and surgery. Keep us posted and don't be shy to ask any questions. :)

p.s. We always read about individuals having bioprosthetic valves that can last up to 20 years. Nice to finally have a new member report that it actually is possible.

Its interesting that you are considering the Mech valve now after such good luck with the Homograft. I agree that with the good performance stats and reduced coagulaton trails it is a very persuavsive argument for the On-x valve. Especially if you dont want to gamble on a 3rd OHS 20 more years from now. I'm going with the On-x for pretty much the same reasoning. The people here in this form have been so helpful in my decision to go with a Mech valve. The coumadin fear was big, but like those on it say, once you get a stabilized INR and home monitoring, it shouldn't restrict your life style that drastically. I am restoring a 71 Mavrick Grabber and hope to continue on with it this Late this summer. Surgery on April 20. Good luck and welcome!

I like to tinker with old cars myself. There are some great mechanics gloves available that can cut down on the cuts and scapes.

Check these out http://www.mechanix.com/automotive/m-pact-glove I have 2 pair and plan to use them for any kind of projects not just automotive.

Its interesting that you are considering the Mech valve now after such good luck with the Homograft. I agree that with the good performance stats and reduced coagulaton trails it is a very persuavsive argument for the On-x valve. Especially if you dont want to gamble on a 3rd OHS 20 more years from now. I'm going with the On-x for pretty much the same reasoning. The people here in this form have been so helpful in my decision to go with a Mech valve. The coumadin fear was big, but like those on it say, once you get a stabilized INR and home monitoring, it shouldn't restrict your life style that drastically. I am restoring a 71 Mavrick Grabber and hope to continue on with it this Late this summer. Surgery on April 20. Good luck and welcome!

You'll be buzzing around in that car by summer's end. That's the thing I remember best about my 1st surgery - how amazing and strong I felt after the first month. Yes, it's hard and a little scary right after the operation, and I was younger then. But I can't wait for cardiac rehab this time! It's hard for me to have trouble running up the stairs now.
I'm also afraid of Coumadin disrupting my life, but if it means I don't have to face the truck hitting me again - especially when I'm old - I'll take it. And with the On-X valve, maybe we'll just be on heavy aspirin therapy in a few years. :)

You'll be buzzing around in that car by summer's end. That's the thing I remember best about my 1st surgery - how amazing and strong I felt after the first month. Yes, it's hard and a little scary right after the operation, and I was younger then. But I can't wait for cardiac rehab this time! It's hard for me to have trouble running up the stairs now.
I'm also afraid of Coumadin disrupting my life, but if it means I don't have to face the truck hitting me again - especially when I'm old - I'll take it. And with the On-X valve, maybe we'll just be on heavy aspirin therapy in a few years. :)

I'm another who was surprised after having a homogrft last so long that you got in your 30s, you're getting a mech valve in your late 50s, but can unaderstand trying to lessen the chances of possibly needing another OHS. there are alot of exciting things going on, for both tissue valves and mechanical valves and different anticoagulants, but i wouldnt count to much on just needing aspirin for the ON-x valve any time in the forseeable future. Maybe a lower amount of coumadin, or some other new anticoagulant, but there are currently no trials or even talks about trials as far as i know for aspirin only. the only trial ON-X ever did with and aspirin only arm was in Germany before the Proact trials starrted and that was stopped when people didnt do that well

Hi, Lyn
Of course you're correct - It will be a long time, if ever, that aspirin will replace anticoagulants. My exaggeration is a consequence of being a really positive person. Sometimes I forget my sarcasm doesn't come across in writing.
I am very hopeful for scientific advancements in valve replacement for all of us. I'm amazed at the advancements in heart treatment and surgery since my first cardiac cath in 1960.

Latest posts

Back