How you feel after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

I am 41 average fit and medium build. BAV from born and never given me any problems... Play sport ect no problems... On 19th May I have valve sparing with ascending aorta anurusym removed.
A lot of people on here say that they only walk a few steps for a while but why were they like before the OP... Some people that I know have had major heart problems and cannot walk far before they are exhausted... I can understand these type of people will find it hard but what about someone like me...??

Geez that sounds so confusing...
Question: if someone cannot walk far due to a heart condition, obviously they will be the same after the OP but will get better with rehab... But if you are fit and healthy will that person be flat out walking after the OP..??

If you are talking about the time you are in the hospital and maybe immediately after you get out, I'd have to say no, you are not going to be setting any new records for walking during that time period. You have no idea how absolutely wiped out you will be after this surgery, fit or not. After say 2 weeks, you may find it easier to pick up your walking schedule than someone who was in horrible shape before surgery, but as happened many times on here before, if you push too hard, no matter what your shape, your body may push back with complications. Most Drs put certain restrictions on you for 4 - 6 weeks for a reason, your body needs to heal.

Kim

Was an avid runner prior to surgery. Was in the ICU for 3 days and the first few days I probably walked a few times a day; about 200 yards each time. It was definitely a snails pace and it was just enough to wear me out. I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday. On Friday, I remember going with my wife to the store and I spent 30 minutes walking around while she shopped (it was very hot out).

To answer your question, don't expect much that first week, but you will start to rebound after that....probably a bit quicker than somebody that was not as fit heading into surgery.

I was fairly fit, and a regular jogger before surgery at age 63. Had aortic stenosis that had progressed form moderate to nearly critical over a 9-year span. Before surgery I was slowing down, and could just barely jog at a 4 miles/hour pace. I am now 8 weeks post op, and can walk at that 4 miles/hour pace for 2 miles or more and still feel fine -- and I haven't even started rehab yet. I'm looking forward to a complete recovery in spite of the complications I had post-surgery, but I realize that it may take some time. YMMV, but I would not be too worried about how fast and how far you will recover. Just remember that you WILL recover, and life after surgery is going to be better than life if you did not have the surgery. (You will be looking forward to a normal life span after surgery; without surgery if your case is at all like mine you would have had a much shorter life expectancy.)

DH and I walk almost every day and I was prounounced very fit by all my docs prior to my valve surgery. I walked within less than 24 hours post op as soon as I was moved to step down unit from CICU and I was exhausted after about 4 minutes. I kept at the 'lap walking' they urge us to do in the hospital and gradually increased by endurance to three laps around and the nurses were just about cheering.

My first day home, I put on my walking shoes and prepared to walk outside and begin the walking regimen they prescribe at MGH for most OHS patients. I was astounded when I could barely walk up my not very long driveway and barely two houses down when I had to return home. I was absolutely unable to go further. I kept at it and walked as directed several times a day and within two weeks was walking at a slower pace than pre-surgery but certainly was able to do two miles.

Everyone recovers at a different rate. We don't all experience it in the same way.
I've had two OHS surgeries and did very well after both but I unquestionably experienced the surgery differently each time. (My first was harder on me than my second, four years later.)

I am now 7 weeks post-surgery, and back to the same fitness level as before the surgery, I believe. The day after surgery, I walked from my CICU room to the step down unit, although that wasn't far. Each day from then through discharge I walked either 3 or 4 times up and down the halls, although not fast and not for long (5-10 minutes?) Everyone heals differently as has been said before, and it isn't a race to get back into shape, short term. Think long term and listen to what your body tells you.

zztimeout, if I understand your situation correctly and if you're typical for that condition, I think there's good news and bad. The good news is physical: Your good shape pre-op should stand you in good stead post-op, and you'll probably regain fitness much faster than if you'd been a couch potato for a long time (either because of CHD or not). (Of course, there are no guarantees, and lots of "bumps" to steer around.) The bad news is psychological: Even if your recovery is a month or two faster than average, if you feel great now, completely asymptomatic, it may seem like an eternity until you feel that good again, sorry.

I was just barely symptomatic, for a few weeks pre-OHS. As I've posted a few times, I would have bicycled to my surgery, except I couldn't figure out how to get the bike home afterwards. Now, almost 5 months post-op, after a couple of ski weeks in Whistler and a LOT of miles of (BORING!!) power-walking in a Cardiac Rehab class, I feel just about back to my asymptomatic condition, a couple of months pre-op -- still out of shape, but feeling normal while I push (e.g., bicycling hard) to get back in shape.

4.5 months is FAR from an eternity, to mostly-recover from surgery as invasive as OHS, but for people used to being as active as I've been, it has seemed like a long time, even with quite steady improvement along the way.

I had some control over the timing of my BAVR, and I'm still idly puzzling a bit over it: If I'd gone in maybe 4-6 months sooner, I might have completely skipped the MV repair (and the 3 months of ACT nuisance) -- BUT I would have gone in with ZERO symptoms, and the rehab might have been much tougher on my spirit. No chance to change that decision now, but I think I probably wouldn't, even with the chance, FWIW.

AhHHH This takes me back! I am now 6 months post op for the exact identical operation you just had. Valve sparing root replacement. I am 45 and went in to the hospital electively to have this repair done at 5cm.

Today, with the exception of still having some brain fog (just a bit) and my chest still feels a little bit funny (no pain, just....different) I feel just fine. I have already done about 10 miles on my inline skates (about where I would be any other year just starting the skating season) and according to my post op stress test, I am in BETTER shape now than I was back in 09.

The only thing I occasionally notice is that when I climb stairs I might be a little bit more tired than before, but still take them two at a time no prob.

Keep extending your range and use that breathing tool they gave you and you’re going to be just fine in no time!

The most paramount thing I remember about walking post op in the hospital as a seasoned old jock, was breathing while talking. You will be dealing with some fluid in the lungs and inefficiency of the lungs due the partial collapse of the lungs during surgery. Like Jake said, use your Voldyne volumetric exerciser very often. The Alveoli need an awakening.

You will have drain tubes in your chest dumping into a collector, you may have an IV piercing the "Mom" tattoo on your fore arm and a catheter inserted into big Ernie. It will be a lot of equipment to manage, so don't think your going to give a Kenyan runner a challenge fresh out of surgery

You will be also managing a 20 lb wt gain from the fluid they pump into you to maintain your BP during surgery. Once they give you diuretics to rid the fluid, their will be no laying about cause you are going to want to go and very often!

As a middle aged fit person you will walk further then most. Be prepared that a 100 to 200 meter shuffle will be challenging for the first few days. Walk short distances often, otherwise you will bag yourself out.

Expect to recover quickly, your in good shape and that is advantageous. Set backs do happen like arrhythmia. About 1/3 of valve replacement folks develop correctable arrhythmia.

I had my AVR at 39yo and was fit like you - I swam 1km the week before my op and did a short ocean paddle (4km) the day I went in. Post-op as soon as they let me up I was walking as fast as, if not faster than, the nurses - every hour I got up and walked. However I am very competitive. :)

I think the important thing is to listen to your body and get lots of rest, but treating my OHS as the first day of my next three months of training helped me a lot too. - maybe more mentally but that is SOOOO important.

Like others have said, you may find you have mysteriously gained a heap of weight (I went in at 60kg and came out at 68!!) and walking helps get rid of that, but yeh for goodness sake do what your body asks you to do. I set ever-increasing goals for each day such as eat all my hospital food and walk three laps of the ward every hour and that helped appease my inner athlete. I think that if you do too much someone will tell you to slow down!!

Good luck from down under :)

Hi ... I'm nine weeks post-op today. I tired easily before the surgery but could manage an hour's walk quite easily. I've never been a gung-ho athlete though. I was absolutely exhausted while I was in hospital - even texting or talking on the phone would tire me out. I gradually improved over the first few weeks at home and the more I moved, the better I was. Moving was particularly good for neck/back pain that was giving me the complete irrits. I can now fast walk about 45 minutes quite easily. My aim is to become a jogger.
But, as others have said, don't expect to get straight back into your pre-surgery condition quickly. Your body has a major adjustment to make so let it recover - it will let you know when you've done too much! I roamed around a shopping centre for about an hour about a week after I got home and thought I was fine - but I was absolutely wrecked the next day and realised I just wasn't ready for such an expedition!
Cheers ...

Hi, I think everthing has been covered by all that has been said. I had my valve replacement at 48, I wasn't very fit I had trouble mowing my lawn (due to my problem). It didn't help going back in a week after and doing it all again that really stuffed me up, but now when I go for my walks my heart feels good, it's my legs that get sore lol.
Wishing you all the best.

I reiterate what everyone else has said. OHS really takes the wind out of your sails!!! It is better to know that in advance so you will know that it is normal. However, little by little you will feel better and better.

I went in as a rather fit 63 year-old. I was a runner/jogger for over 30 years. After surgery I was so messed up I could hardly walk when they came by for therapy. I apparently had a batch of complications (digestive system didn't really re-start very well after surgery) that got in the way of recovery. I went home and had to be re-admitted to sort out the intestinal issues, and after that I've caught up probably all of the gap from before. I am 8 weeks post-op and can now walk miles at a normal pace (been doing 2 miles/day at 4 miles/hour) that is not much slower than I was jogging before surgery. I have a stress test scheduled for mid-May, and hope to get back to jogging after that. I will also sign up for Phase II rehab as soon as I'm cleared for that.

We all recover at different rates. Just remember that (with minor catastrophic exceptions) we all do recover, usually to a level better than before.

I think it depends on what they do while they have you open. I am not a doctor but believe their are vital nerves and muscle tissue that if damaged recovery becomes more difficult.
I was 49 when I had my surgery and am in good shape, not physically active enough and a little over wieght. I recovered really well from having my aortic valve replaced. I was up and walking within 2 days, tubes in and monitor attached. If I could have I would have tried climbing stairs but that would have been pushing it. By day 4 I went home and rest and sleep were all that was on my mind, I did not want to risk injurying myself trying to walk on icey streets or someting silly like that.

The biggest challenge I found was finding a position to sleep in that was not painful or detrimental to my healing sternum. I bought an expensive recliner that I could not sleep in, no way can I fall asleep on my back. I spent many sleepless nights trying to get to sleep, sleeping pills helped alot.

8 weeks now since my surgery and I go for long walks every day, still use my spirometer once and a while and am feeling pretty darn good!

You should have no problem recovering, just take it at a slow pace initially (week 5 feels good) and you will be fine.

zztimeout,
It sounds like you are going into this in roughly the same state I did. I was a basically fit 39 year old who remained relatively active right up to the surgery, though my endurance was reduced in the years leading in.

One of the things I notice on the recovery ward, were I was transferred about 18hours after surgery, was that even the 80 y/o bypass patients were up in a walker within a day. We youngsters, especially the reasonably fit ones do tend to help the doc's stats though. I was in a walker the day after surgery, put it aside that night and did a shuffle once around the ward. I was taking tours of the floor by day 3 and feeling ready to go. It was a Sunday so there was no one to sign me out and I waited till Monday.

On arrival home, where I had some basis for comparison, I realized that I really had no endurance at all. I could walk up the stairs of my basement apt. and about one block before needing a break. (Lucky for me there was a Tim Horton's-a coffee shop-one block from home.)

Be diligent about doing that as often as you comfortably can, rest as you need to and you will recover quite quickly.

Best of luck.

I am just past 7 weeks post AVR surgery. I am 43, work as a firefighter, and do a lot of bicycling. Being in good shape prior to surgery is definitely helpful with your recovery. Like many others I was walking very short distances in the hospital during the four days that I was there. I have a treadmill so when I got home I started walking on the treadmill twice a day. I initially had to start out at mind numbing low speeds, but every day I found I could gradually add some speed and time to the workout. Two weeks post op I was able to start riding my bicycle on a stationary trainer. I had to ride without using the handlebars because that creates too much pressure on the chest. An important tool to have when doing post op exercise is a heart monitor. The one thing I found was that my legs definitely felt strong but it did not take much to get my heart beating too fast. The heart monitor allowed me to maintain an acceptable exertion level. Pay attention to what your body tells you. Rest when you feel like you need it and as others have said, don't rush it. I wish you the best on your surgery and your recovery! God Bless!

Once again, I have greatly enjoyed reading everyone's input! I am new to the site and it's so much more helpful than the impersonal internet info. I am 38, scheduled 5/9/11 for BAV replacement (tissue) and repair of aortic aneurysm. I am active in playing and coaching sports with my five kids, and still don't feel too bad, even now. zz, I'll let you know how my experience is, since yours is 10 days later. I do have to say that I noticed after my cath that at least two other patients who were much older and more frail than I am got to go home after the procedure and I had to spend the night. :) (Didn't bleed too badly, but apparently my stroke volume is so large that it created a higher risk if I did start bleeding).
I love to read about others' experience, it is encouraging in a realistic way!

Here's just a little something to stir things up a bit. ;)

I was 43 when I had my first surgery and my recovery was slower and more painful.

I was/am 50 when I had my 2nd surgery and my recovery was quicker and less painful.

I was basically in the same physical shape only my age difference was 7 years??? I would say in general the better shape you are in going into surgery the quicker your recovery will be...but there are no guarantees.

Latest posts

Back