How many have had multiple OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeas BAV.
Surgeon (and cardio) say the aortic root is large, but still normal, although on the high side of normal.

Surgeon is thinking if we get the valve job done, and my abnormal heart rythym squared away, the aorta should be good, but he's got the conduit standing by in case he sees something he doesn't like while he's in there.

Cardio says: while he's in there, he should just do it. He thinks the aorta is going to continue to grow and no reason to chance having to do it later.

When my surgeon scheduled the surgery he said to the nurse: "Aortic replace, plus or minus conduit."

Sorry I have no advice, but I like to share what many good surgeons believe--once main cause of heart problem is fixed, other problems caused by the main problem may subside and improve. My surgeon wrote in his report before surgery: replace Aortic valve, and repair/replace Mitral valve. One cardio suggested that he should repair valve, another suggested it is better to be replaced. I left it up to my surgeon as he is a leader in his field and he ended up replacing Mitral valve as he he found my MV was beyond repair when he opened my heart!

Well, you get out your crystal ball and consult it.

I guess for me (and I've only had one surgery) your word "Large" would have me pushing for the conduit. If there's any chance that you'd have to go back in for an aortic repair, I'd want to go ahead and have it done. But then - I'm saying that not knowing the risks associated with conduit placement. So that might be something to look at.

I just had number 2, but I dont remember my first one (I was 18 months old) so I can't really compare. I will definitely have to have at least 1 more and probably more unless they come up with a magic mechanical valve that's ok to put in the pulmonary position (which they may). So far I've been told that its just to dangerous to put a mechanical valve, even the on-x, in the pulmonary position especially with my specific anatomy. So I will just have to keep getting my tissue valve replaced every 15 years or so (and i'm only 24). I'm hoping hard for some major advancements.

I just had number 2, but I dont remember my first one (I was 18 months old) so I can't really compare. I will definitely have to have at least 1 more and probably more unless they come up with a magic mechanical valve that's ok to put in the pulmonary position (which they may). So far I've been told that its just to dangerous to put a mechanical valve, even the on-x, in the pulmonary position especially with my specific anatomy. So I will just have to keep getting my tissue valve replaced every 15 years or so (and i'm only 24). I'm hoping hard for some major advancements.

I'm sorry I don't remember, do you have a conduit? You'll probably be able to have the pulm valve replaced in the cath lab, the trials are going well. but MY hopes for when Justin needs his next PVR lean toward the tissue engineered valves that should last your lifetime, I pray they are around when he needs his next replacement is not the one after that.

Two for me. A repair at age 22 and a replacement at age 29. Hopefully, there won't be another. The second was a little harder. Of course, I was a little older and had three children 5 years and under. You get the idea!:D I was blessed that my mom came and stayed for five weeks. But all in all I did well. I'm sure now at age 56 it wouldn't be nearly as easy to have that third surgery. LINDA

I've had two OHS and they were so far enough apart that the technology had really improved by the time I had my second. I recovered well and luckily had lots of sick days built up so didn't rush back to work.

I also have BAV and had an aneurysm repaired during my AVR. That was ten years ago and now I have another aneurysm that's at 4.5 cm. Any future surgery for me will be risky since scar tissue has caused my right ventricle to become struck to my sternum so I don't even want to think about a third go round.

Personally, I think your cardio is right. I would want to get as much done as possible while they have you open and try to avoid further surgeries.

Best of luck and positive vibes for your operation.

Cheers,
Michelle

My root measures around 4.0-4.3cm depending on who did the measuring. I had 2 echos almost back to back with the above differences. 2 years ago it was measured at 4.0cm. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs, my surgeon told me aneurysm would be about 5cm in someone my size.

As for my thyroid, the endocrinology guy couldn't even see the nodule my cardio desrcribed, but did a biopsy of the area they thought they saw something just in case, and ran blood and urine samples today. I should know in a few days the results, but they weren't thinking it would amount to much.

Well a tissue valve isn't even an option for me really. I'm 35 and best case it might last until I'm 65 and that's not an age where I want to get opened up again.
I'm not even considering not getting a mechanical valve.

Wade -

At Best, the idea that a Tissue Valve could even remotely last 30 years when implanted in a 35 year old would appear to be either a misunderstanding or gross misinformation from everything I have read on this site.

The Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves have a high percentage of "freedom from explant" after 20 years in patients who received them when in their 60's. New anticalcification treatments are *hoped* to extend that record of durability several more years. Tissue Valves implanted in younger patients don't last nearly as long.

SO, I'm wondering WHO or WHERE you got the idea that a Tissue Valve could last 30 years when implanted in you at age 35, and what kind of tissue valve might give this kind of performance.

yea 30 yrs seems a bit to good lol,wish it was,i was told 10 to 15 yrs,and in my own mind i will be happy with say 12? but who knows,live for today 12 yrs is a long way down the line and we cant live thinking about what may or may not happen in the future,i know i will need a second op andam cool about that,i have spoken to many second time ohs people and surgeons and there fill me with confidence,yes i know things can go wrong but hey thats life and i still prefer that choice than being on act the rest of my life,by the way this is just MY opinion,

I had my 2nd OHS July 28-seven months ago today. My first was five years previously. I have still not recovered and continue to have issues. When I woke up and found out he couldn't get the mechanical valve to fit and went with a bovine tissue valve, I was furious. The surety of a 3rd was unbearable while I sat for 5 weeks in the Cleveland Clinic fighting for my life. I breezed through my first surgery and recovery the first time around but, the second has majorly changed my life. On the up side, I did survive and continue to hope that I will feel the benefits of this surgery soon. We can't know the future so we have to hope for the best but, plan for the worst.

I figure that a re-op will be way better than the alternative to not having one.

I have had two aortic valve replacements. I don't regret my choices. I am happy to be alive and I intend to outlive this one. AVR3, if and when it occurs will hold the same promise of a long and healthy life as the first 2. I always remember that the surgery saved me and I am happy I have that option.

Take Heart,
Pamela.

Wade -

At Best, the idea that a Tissue Valve could even remotely last 30 years when implanted in a 35 year old would appear to be either a misunderstanding or gross misinformation from everything I have read on this site.

SO, I'm wondering WHO or WHERE you got the idea that a Tissue Valve could last 30 years when implanted in you at age 35, and what kind of tissue valve might give this kind of performance.

No one said as much. I'm just saying that even if I had a miracle tissue valve that lasted 30 years, I'd still have to have another surgery. An unappealing prospect to me.

My surgeon said I'd be lucky to get 15-20 out of the new tissue valves currently available.
He said unless my job involved shark diving, or I have personal beliefs otherwise, that a tissue valve wasn't really a viable option.
I knew it wasn't and never even really considered it.

I had my second OHS in December last year. My first was when I was 5, so I really don't remember much (and I had another heart surgery when I was 18 months old, but that was through my ribs under my arm). I'm 3 months into my recovery and feeling fantastic. I lost a lot of fitness and strength before my surgery because I was made to wait so long, so regaining ground there is not going to be easy, but as far as the actual recovery from OHS - I'm doing really well!! :)

I think it really depends what your mental and physical state is before you go in. The healthier you are (exercising as much as you can, eating all the right kinds of foods, resting as much as you need to..) the easier recovery will generally be. Like Beha, I also face more surgery in the future (I got a bovine pulmonary valve for much the same reasons), but it's something I'm fairly at ease with. Sure, it's no picnic, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

It's amazing what you can manage when you need to.

A : )

Well i'm going to answer this post,i had my 2nd surgery Jan22,2009

as i didnot have a choice my own mitral valve was full of rhumatic fever

I will say as far as me and experience and trouble i'm having since 2nd

surgery,NO its not easier,and i had my 1st surgery in 1992 for aortic valve

it was easier,not mentally cus i was more scared,than 2nd time.

And 2nd time the scar tissue and my heart was in center of my chest

when they made my incision,everything including my 16 year arotic valve

was scar tissued,it was much more difficult than 1st and i'd give anything

to have 1st surgery back,it was easier to get through than now.

i'm not a candidate for 3rd surgery they've told me,I have worked all

my life at jobs and now i'm told for various reasons ,of this surgery 2nd

time round that i cannot return to work,and recovery time for me will

be over a year,and believe me i am hurting in more than one way.

So i have to say from my experience 2nd surgery's are easy for some

but has been a very difficult time for me,and it's not over yet:(

zipper2 (DEB)

Wade,
my asscending aorta was 4.1X4.3 and Dr. Girardi replaced it without hesitation. During consulataion he told me he sees many BAV patients that needed the aorta replaced in as little as 5 years after valve replacement. From all that I read, I knew it was what I needed to have done.

Good luck and best wishes

BAVR with ON-X 27mm and Dacron conduit Dec 19, 08 Cornell NYP

I can't imagine having to do this more than once!

*chuckles*

It IS hard to imagine, isn't it?

But, I've done more than one:
January 6, 2003

Oh...so much...FUN! :)

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Didn't I tell you?" ... Colbie Caillat ... 'Realize'

I've had two, just over five years apart. Second recovery was much harder, also due to the fact that I was only 3months post cesarean delivery. I suffered nerve damage in the second surgery and ended up with a pacemaker as well.
I now have a mech valve and hope I never need another sternotomy. But I guess time will tell.

3 surgeries for me!!

3 surgeries for me!!

I have had 3 surgeries. One at nine years old, 13, and 24. My last one was the easiest to recover from. I now have a homograft valve. But I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter and another baby on the way. My homograft did great thru the last pregnancy and Im praying for another successful deliverly with this one. I know somedayI will need to have the homograft replaced but I try not to think about it.

I just had my 3rd OHS... my last two were when I was a child and really don't remember too much from them

Latest posts

Back