How many have had multiple OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Browsing through the forum, preparing for my surgery next week, I see several people who have had more than one open heart surgery.
Is it any easier the 2nd time 'round?
I can't imagine having to do this more than once!

I have had two, and no it is not easier the second time. I have had two ablations, and was very bad off after the second one. I thought my time had come & so did some of the hospital staff. I am now debating whether I wish to go forward with my third open heart surgery, and am finding it a very hard decision. :(

I have had 2 surgeries. I was lucky enough to spread them out a few years between, like 47 years worth. So as far as the 2nd surgery it does not seem to me that it was any more difficult than the first one, but then I was only 4 going on 5 the first time.

I am 31 and had my third surgery 6 weeks ago. It was the second valve replacement and with this one they did the aortic root and a Maze. I also went with the mechanical with the hopes of not doing it again. For me (and everyone is different) the recovery from this one is much more difficult. I was in the ICU for 4 days and the hospital for 8 following surgery. Also the recovery has been slower than I would like. With each surgery more scar tissue builds up and causes problems. I also had light complications during the second and third surgeries. Because of the scar tissue and complications the surgery lasted 11 hours. Now things are ok and I am getting better day by day.

So this is my long-winded way of saying the fewer surgeries you can undergo the better. I am really hoping this is the last one. Although they are common, they are not fun. Ultimately the choice is up to your doctors and you.

Nearing two months after my second, I have to say that the recovery is a bit quicker this time, even though I went back to work three weeks after my CABG, and six weeks after my more recent AVR. Part of it has to be that I had an idea of what to expect; but also, I was much sicker before the surgery this time than before (or at least it seems so). The difference between "then" and "now" is much more pronounced. I feel like a kid again, even though I'm nearly fifteen years older.

Preparation is a big part of it. In terms of rehab, my recumbent bike machine is better to work out on than the ski machine I used last time, so I'm happier to do the work. But I'm glad I went with the mechanical valve, because I would really rather not have to go through all this another time!!

I am so glad I have my mechanical valve and my Bentall procedure was done the first time around.

12 weeks post op and doing great besides staying up all night...can't sleep even on sleeping pills.

I hope and pray I never have to do this again.

I hope none of us ever have to go through it again. I seriously doubt there is anyone who wants to.

We can all hope that in the near future those that come after us will be able to have their hearts fixed in far less invasive way........ that any of us that require future repairs/replacements can avoid this traumatic surgery.

I hope none of us ever have to go through it again. I seriously doubt there is anyone who wants to.

We can all hope that in the near future those that come after us will be able to have their hearts fixed in far less invasive way........ that any of us that require future repairs/replacements can avoid this traumatic surgery.

I SECOND THIS POST FOR SURE;)

zipper2(DEB)

I hope to never have to go through OHS again!

For those people who claim that it was a "breeze", I wonder if they take into account the emotional toll and stress it places on family members, the disruption to lives and routines (especially if you have young children)?
Just thinking aloud here, not trying to start a valve choice war....I know if you choose tissue, you have mentally adjusted to the fact that you will very likely need another surgery - and good on you if you are one of those people - I admire you because I couldn't face it I don't think. Each to their own though - there are many people who couldn't stand to face a life on ACT and I can accept that for some it is just a no go.

Anyway, we're all lucky we can have this operation and have choices.

Bridgette....

I might add that there are members here who chose tissue and because of their age, there is the strong likelihood their tissue valve could last for their otherwise expected life span.

Of course, everyone always says to not take into consideration the possibility of less invasive replacement in the future but when a large number of top surgeons across the world are speaking of their impression of the advancement in percutaneous ability in positive terms, it cannot be totally ignored. I do, however, agree to not base tissue valve choice on a belief they will be commonly doing replacement in that method 'in time' for us. (I personally think it will be common within ten years or less. We'll have to wait and see.)

I think it important to add these considerations.
Thanks.

Yeah, sorry, I know there are people whose tissue valves should see them out, due to their age (the patients age, LOL),

Who knows what they'll be able to do in 20 years time in the OHS field? Hopefully it'll be less invasive solutions, but yeah, it's very much a wait and see, don't bank on it kind of thing isn't it?

Latest posts

Back