Houston Says It's a NO GO!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
Well my friends, the doctors here in Houston have decided that NO surgery is the best choice for me right now. They said that the risks outweigh the benefits and that I should be happy with what I have right now. And they went on to say, that even if I did survive the surgery, there is NO guarantee that my life would be any better off.

They said that I should consider coming up to Houston every 3 or 6 months for check-ups instead of dealing with my paranoid doctors at home!!!

At the moment, I'm not really happy and I'm not really sad. I had left the decision totally in God's hands so if this is what His plan was for me, then so be it!

So we'll be headed back home tomorrow.

Love you all and thank you for your prayers and well wishes!

Norma, Thank you for letting us know what you found out. I'm sorry to hear they won't be able to help you. I can imagine how this must be tough not knowing wether to be glad or not. I imagine it will take a while to let everything sink in. You are always in my prayers

Norma, did they do addtional tests in Houston. What were the results? Better, worse or the same? What did they say about the symptoms you've been having?

Of course I was hoping for the best result for you, I'm hoping this was just that. It's good the doc's in Houston want to keep a close eye on you.

Norma, Don't let your worries bring you down. Live one day at a time and enjoy life to the fullest. That is all you can do. You' will always be in my heart. Thanks for the quick update and have a safe trip home.

Hey Norma,

thanks for taking the time to post. I actually came to the site just to see if there was any news. Your doctors in TX sound like my mom's in OH. You've trusted them enough to travel to see them so trust in their skill and judgment and know that this is what's best for you at this point in time.

Best wishes for a safe trip home!

Norma, I'm so sorry they had you come all that way just to tell you that. I really wish you would give some thought to sending your records off to CCF to have them review them. It won't hurt a thing to have a second set of eyes look at everything.

Have safe travels home and I'll speak to once you get there and have a chance to absorb everything.

Love ya,

Kimmie

Norma, did they do addtional tests in Houston. What were the results? Better, worse or the same? What did they say about the symptoms you've been having?

Of course I was hoping for the best result for you, I'm hoping this was just that. It's good the doc's in Houston want to keep a close eye on you.

The Echo that they did here in Houston shows mild to moderate dilated left atrium. The right atrium is mildly dilated. It contradicts the one conducted by my doctor in NM which showed severe left atrial enlargement and a severe right atrial enlargement! The peak gradient on the Echo done in Houston shows the gradient peak as 31 on the mitral valve 17.5 as the mean gradient. The one in NM showed a mean diastolic pressure of 19. The PH pressures were measured at 70mmHg. The ones in NM were at 77mmHg which were not all that different.

The doctors here in Houston say that they can understand "why" my home doctors get hysterical whenever they read my Echos and/or other reports and it's because they haven't followed my history throughout my life and probably don't have many other patients that have had so many re-dos in their life and are still alive!! LOL!

Thanks for the update, Norma. I can imagine your mixed feelings. A very dear relative received similar news recently, though from heart vessel disease rather than heart valve disease. I'm glad they want to continue to keep a close eye on you.

I read an encouraging "saying" recently that I think you'll like, "The happiness in your life depends on the quality of your thoughts." It sounds like you're staying above this thing. Continued best wishes :)

Last edited:
Norma, this sounds like one of those Good News/Bad News things....so, let's be thankful that you are now under the
care of some fine doctors and will be followed carefully. And very soon you will be back home to hug and kiss your
fur kids too !! Stay strong, we are all still here for you. :)

Wow, Norma, what a roller-coaster! Suffice it to say I know something about one set of techs/doctors getting hysterical over echos results that later are contradicted. Not saying your experience is exactly the same, but sounds like you are in the overall care of some good docs in Houston, and maybe going back to them every 3-6 months is the best outcome right now. I'm not qualified to say, but want you to know I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you can get some R&R now. :smile2:

Gosh Norma, I really feel for you. The amount of energy it took to prepare yourself for surgery. But there is a reason for this decision, and it most probably is the right thing for you, for now. I hope you are at peace with it. Continued prayers for you Norma. (((((HUGS))))) x

As you know, the Risks go up with each succeeding surgery.
I'm glad that the Doctors at THI were able to assess your Risks vs. Benefits in view of your complex heart history. I expect they have a much better perspective to judge complex patients than Doctors who do not see as many high risk patients.

Their recommendation is consistent with what I have heard regarding other complex heart patients. (Nancy's husband Joe comes to mind.)
I hope that you will be able to find other means of improvement for your symptoms.
One Cardio I know tells his repeat surgery candidates that losing weight to minimize the demands on their heart
will likely provide as much benefit as the potential from surgery and at much lower risk.
(Don't ask how I know :)

Best wishes Norma.

'AL'

Dear Norma,

Like you, I am not sure how to react to their decision. In any case, I hope they provided you with tips/recommendations on how to improve your symptoms.

You will remain in my prayers and thoughts and I like what Lilly wrote: "The happiness in your life depends on the quality of your thoughts." You have always been positive and strong. Stay so and best wishes.

Norma
hug.gif

Dear Norma,

I know it must be a roller coaster ride for you. I have been thinking of you alot today. I think maybe I can understand your feelings. I do empathize with you. You are a very strong person, with tremendous faith. I believe that will see you through. I agree, that it might be worth the trip every few months to Houston. These people know your history,and have alot of experience with high risk patients.

It's best to take one day at a time, as was said in the previous post.

Your little furry friends will be so glad to see you!

Thanks for the update. We are all here for you, whenever you need us!

Many hugs

Sorry about the roller coaster Norma. I'm not a big fan of the way Houston schedules the surgery before they know if the patient needs the surgery. That really wigs a person out, just to hear that they're scheduled... and then waiting the days/weeks to find out if that's really your date...? Not fun.

I thought about you constantly today Norma and I simply cannot add any more words that haven't already been said.

Travel safe, take a deep breath, relax and hug your furry friends when you get home - There's nothing like a warm puppy.

((((hugs)))
& Best Wishes

Norma, I am pleased you have been evaluated properly and at least know where you stand as far as surgery goes in the immediate future.
I hope your symptoms can be addressed by other means.
Have they provided a revised treatment regime to address your symptoms?
Thank you for the update and my thoughts are with you.

Norma, thanks for the update, you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I have found that when I put my trust in God, it has the most calming effect on me. I hope you can find that inner peace. Following up with Houston every 3 to 6 months sounds like a good plan. Take care!

Latest posts

Back