heat and humidity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Does anyone have a hard time with heat and humidity after their surgery? I went to work yesterday and it was severely hot and humid inside i would say the temperature inside the building had to be over 100 degrees. Within an hour and a half of working i had a bout of a-fib that made me feel like crap the rest of the day. Not only that but it gets very humid like it was yesterday and still is today I have a hard time breathing or even cooling down. Today is even worse at work according to a girl that I work with and I am seriously thinking about taking an fmla day as i don't know whether i will be able to stand it. Can anyone relate to this?:confused:

Yes, and of course, I still do. I stay in my 2 room A/C when it's like this. Were up to tropical conditions here now.

Yes, I do -- from both age and heart standpoints. My dog and I have temporarily suspended our walks because the Carolina heat and humidity are so stifling right now. She settles for backyard visits to do her business. I go to an air-conditioned workout room to get my exercise. Heat like this is brutal, even for well-conditioned athletes.

Yep, temeprature extremes should be avoided, both heating and cooling I believe make the heart work hard, to regulate and adjust.
Am taking it real easy as our humidex temps are bumping up, seek AC.

well it is already up to 93 degrees here with a heat index of 102 degrees outside. i can probably add about 10 to 15 degrees to that in the building at work so i am pretty sure that i will be calling off. thanks for your opinions. I was having a really hard time making up my mind whether I should try to go to work or not. I just don't feel as i would be able to handle the heat and it would be easier to cover me if i call in rather to go in and end up going home because i can't do it. If i had an office job it wouldn't even be a question as they have air conditioning in there but the part of the plant that i work has absolutely nothing, not even fans to circulate the hot air which may actually help a little bit.

I had surgery November going into summer and had a hard time when I was out in the sun if it was over 30c, and this is most of the time in Australia.
I would feel dizzy and light headed.
12 months on the following summer I was back to normal, hot weather bring it on !!
There have been plenty of 40c+ days commuting on crowded, old non-airconditioned trains and this hasn't been a problem.

Yes, I have a terrible time with this heat. There was actually ONE summer that I wasn't effected. It was two years ago. I attribute it to my bi-v ICD. But that September a lead broke and (three surgeries to fix it later) I haven't been the same since. :( It's really difficult, since I live in TX. Even in the air conditioning I can feel it sometimes. There's no way I could work in those conditions. It's probably a good idea to call in.

Justin has always had problems in heat and high humidity (and we live in Philly that is both all summer) Wiped out and sometime his heart wuld beat so hard you can see it, thru his shirt. (you can often see his heart beat when he doesn't have a shirt on, especially if he is laying down)
One thing that does help him alittle if he drinks alot thru out the day, when he remembers to drink before he is thirsty he does best..when he was younger and playing sports I was always tossing water bottles at him, since it took a while to catch on to drink before he was thirsty. Some days nothing helps but to hang out in the AC. or better yet, the Ocean (as long as you don't walk on the sand in bare feet THAT gets hot)

The reason it's harder to breath and all is because the air is very thin. May not feel thin, but it is.

I have no AC in my home right now (DC area) and I have or take a fan with me everywhere I go inside. My car has AC at this point, so I take a ride out to my PO Box each day. Also, most stores and banks have AC. If I had a job right now and it was as hot as yours, I would have to call in the Americans with Disabilities Act! I am constantly sweating and carry water with me everywhere in my home and outside of my home. Your electrolytes get messed up sweating this much and that can/will cause heat stroke in those of us on so many medications! No wonder you got Afib!

Last edited:
For 1 or 2 months after AVR I was cold even in July and August. Then we lived in west TX and it was plenty hot. I kept the temperature in the house set high which was entirely not natural. Normally I freeze out my wife.

I walk 3 miles in about 45 minutes every day and usually go at 6AM due to heat. Still when I get home my clothes are soaked with sweat. This morning the temp was 80, humidity 85, feels like 100. I wore my heart monitor this morning, even in this heat/humidity my rate was 112 to 127, according if I was going uphill or downhill.

I have frequently had problems with heat and humidity since developing my heart issues. June always seems harder than July and August, because we have so much humidity from the spring rains.

Sometimes it's so hot, I have to sit down when I take the dogs out to do their business. I'm trying to teach Jet to use my new treadmill so she can get a bit more exercise. We can't take walks until 8:30 at night, and it's still very hot.

This is my first summer after AVR and I am finding it difficult to work outside for more than about half an hour. Summer temperatures are running higher than normal and have been around 95ºF with humidity between 75% & 85& for several days cooling off to around 75ºF at night so I am spending a lot more time inside. I wonder how this changes with time?

Larry

I certainly hope it does change in time but I am beginning to accept that this is the way it is going to be from now on. I am glad that I thought of putting extreme heat and humidity on my FMLA paperwork when I had it filled out. As I really can't believe how bad I felt yesterday. I couldn't even sleep last night and that was with the air conditioning on as high as I could get it. I ended up taking a xanax at about 4:30 in the morning and i was finally able to calm down enough to go to sleep. Maybe one day i will be able to accept my limitations that i have now but as of now I haven't. I am so used to being on the go then it gets to the point that I start feeling bad and my body finally tells me to slow down and rest. Such is life as i know it now. I will get used to it one of these days.

This is my first summer after AVR and I am finding it difficult to work outside for more than about half an hour. Summer temperatures are running higher than normal and have been around 95ºF with humidity between 75% & 85& for several days cooling off to around 75ºF at night so I am spending a lot more time inside. I wonder how this changes with time?

This is my first summer after AVR too. I noticed when it is real hot outside my heart beats faster.

I don't feel that "heat or humidity" has caused me problems since my surgery. I was an "outside person" before surgery and I have remained an "outside person". The recent hi heat/hi humidity spell has pretty much zapped my strength and interest, but I think that is more a function of miserable weather and has nothing to do with my valve.

well it is already up to 93 degrees here with a heat index of 102 degrees outside. i can probably add about 10 to 15 degrees to that in the building at work so i am pretty sure that i will be calling off. thanks for your opinions. I was having a really hard time making up my mind whether I should try to go to work or not. I just don't feel as i would be able to handle the heat and it would be easier to cover me if i call in rather to go in and end up going home because i can't do it. If i had an office job it wouldn't even be a question as they have air conditioning in there but the part of the plant that i work has absolutely nothing, not even fans to circulate the hot air which may actually help a little bit.

IMO, you need to contact OSHA immediately! That is an unsafe working condition.

Back