Heart-Lung Machine Area

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmonteag

So, Im two weeks post op and all is going well. I have question for the group about the site where the heart-lung machine was connected. My was near the left side of the groin area. It still feels tender and in a tiny area slightly numb. Anyone else have this experience? How long did it take for that site to heal? Thanks!

I don't remember and don't think I was ever told. It may well have been in the groin; I had had my heart cath the day before.

I believe that they went through the left groin for John's surgery. He developed lymphodema (sp?) while in the hospital due to irritation from the surgery. Developed quite a bit of swelling in that leg; our PCP ordered an ultrasound about 3 weeks post-op to rule out a clot. Took about 5 months for the swelling to completely subside.

I have a 3" scar, and a 2" scar in my right groin area. 3 weeks out and I have just 2 raised ridges now, I guess I haven't poked around down there to see if it's numb,:D but I haven't noticed anything.

I only got a groin cut during my 1st OHS. It actually bothered me more than the sternum cut! It was numb all around it and it hurt, too.

Gail..how long did the numb feeling last? You are right the groin cut is bothering more than the actual incision!

You would know if you had the pump thru your groin, Justin's incision is a couple inches long. He had it that way for his last (5th surgery) but I think they also use it for some min invasive. Justin's botherred him more than his sternum (well until they had to move his pec muscle then THAT was the worst) It botherred him during his walks ,but also a pretty big section of his thigh was numb. it lasted a couple months, the numb area gradually got smaller and smaller.

Bina was your neck for the actually bypass pump or just lines? When Justin had his pre op testing before his last 2 surgeries they did ultrasounds of both sides of his groin and neck incase they needed to use them for bypass (because he was tricky to open with his heart fused to his sternum) When we heard the incison would be a couple inches Justin asked if they would use the groin if possible , because he rather the extra scar there instead of his neck. The 4th surgery they were able to avoid needing his groin and just used the usual hook up when your sternum is open, but for his 5th they used it.

The numbness is still there after all these yrs, just close to the incision. But, it just looks like a tiny white line.

Latest posts

Back