Had mitral valve surgery Friday the 21s of October,

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

I don't remember if I posted yet, I had my second mitral valve surgery scheduled for Friday at NYU. I am delighted to report that upon waking up my sister told me that Dr. Galloway was able to fix my Mitral Valve. I had expected (as he had) that the valve would need to be replaced. I gave two thumbs up several times...I was so happy.

Dr. Galloway said the ring from the first repair has 'slipped' down...not sure on the details but I will be seeing him in about a week.

I'll be here 5 to 7 days...wanted to share the great news!

Good news. Keeping your native valve is always good.
Happy the surgery is behind you and the struggle you endured prior to surgery is now history.
Take good care and hope you have a bump free recovery.
Please keep us updated how you are doing.

Congratulations! So glad you are on the other side and recovering! Keep focusing on the positive and that will be your reality.
Best,
pem

Thanks everyone...Still at NYU, probably will stay a day or two longer...I forgot how much fun OHS is...I'll never forget being in post op and my sister telling me Dr Galloway said he fixed it and it was actually an easy fix. According to two doctors that were present during the surgery Dr. Galloway was visibly very happy that he was able to do this and remarked how happy I'd be. today they removed the various chest tubes and neck tubes...I am not cut out for this very well...i am hyper sensitive and demanding...the whole process was brutal both mentally and physically...But I am up and walking around and could not have gotten a better outcome!

thank you all again for your thoughts, well wishes and prayers!

I'm late with my congratulations, but congratulations! It's wonderful they were able to do the repair.

Thank you!

It's hard to believe I got a repair...WHen the repaired valve started leaking a little 3 years or so after surgery, I had this vision or thought that a suture had come loose...How could I know? of course I couldn't and still don't...But today my cardiologist said we will know for sure when Dr. Galloway gives the post operative report on exactly what he did to fix it.

It's only been 4 days since surgery, I look ok but am very easily winded and out of breath,,,I know this will take awhile but wish it would all just be perfect, no work required. OK, I just actually did say that...I know how lucky I am...it's great...i thought i was going home today but they said my INR was too low and I'm staying till it's at a certain number.

Time for a nap!

Thanks everyone...Still at NYU, probably will stay a day or two longer...I forgot how much fun OHS is...I'll never forget being in post op and my sister telling me Dr Galloway said he fixed it and it was actually an easy fix. According to two doctors that were present during the surgery Dr. Galloway was visibly very happy that he was able to do this and remarked how happy I'd be. today they removed the various chest tubes and neck tubes...I am not cut out for this very well...i am hyper sensitive and demanding...the whole process was brutal both mentally and physically...But I am up and walking around and could not have gotten a better outcome!

thank you all again for your thoughts, well wishes and prayers!

Glad to hear that you got off with another repair, good for you !! :)

I feel I am starting to 'get it'...I am tempted to write a long post/thread and will when I get a chance on some of my thoughts on why and how OHS or surgery is harder for certain people than others. In short I think people who are generally more sensitive and yet want to 'control' things more might tend to have more difficulty accepting pain and some of the humiliating nature of surgery. Its really a conveyor belt.. I'm getting world class care for sure, private room and I found out rehab at Rusk Institute will be covered by insurance..but even with all of this, you are just another patient...a number..In a perfect world I'd need my own nurse and staff who get paid based on how I feel and recover..

I got a severe tape burn on my inner forearm. It hurts much worse than the incision... I was treated roughly by one particular nurse who literally was visibly angry at me on and off during post op recovery..SHe seems psychotic...She would be verbally abusive and nasty then come back and apologize...she was horrible...and yet caring?

When I came out after the surgery, I requested a pen and paper...she said, "It's my only pen." (not making this up)...I pointed to another nurse (I don't think he was a doctor) and he reluctantly gave me his pen...Obviously I didn't have paper...I asked for paper, he handed me a piece of paper and said, "This is an important piece of paper, don't mess it up"..I know anyone reading this will have trouble believing it.

My sister was there and I wrote: "Tell them I am a professional writer and I need some #$% paper!!" and they instantly gave her a clipboard and paper...

When they removed the tubes the nasty nurse kept saying "I can't hear you, you have to speak up!"...

It's sad how just a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. Most of the nurses are fantastic, the doctors are great...The general staff is mostly great...But I don't think I would want to come back to this hospital...

I know I can be a critical person, demanding maybe, but very polite, generous, caring and empathic....The idea of refusing to give an OHS patient a pen just blows my mind...They didn't give a damn...It was clear I was not just another number and they flat out didn't like it...I'll post a picture later of the tape burn on my arm..it felt like it was on fire!!

The cath test department was not much better...Humiliating and just not nurturing, instead I felt almost blamed that my bp dropped to 45/25 and could not urinate...Gee, now I find out thats a common reaction? If someone had simply said, "This is a common reaction, I know it's painful..we will treat you and make sure you are ok" it would have reduced anxiety more than 50%, rather I was 10 seconds away from disconnecting the machine and marching into the bathroom. I could not urinate at that moment with 10 woman standing around me!!

It's terrible I have a need to complain after such a great outcome.

I didn't want to post anything really negative on this forum and that's why I made a thread asking for positive stories....I would have been better off somehow knowing that in this world you are either going to have to endure and suffer stoically or be a celebrity or filthy rich with your own staff...

I do want to end this post on a high positive note...I am so thankful I was able to get my valve repaired, pain (now that the tubes are out) is nothing like it was the first time I had surgery...There were mostly incredible people at NYU taking care of me...Some of the best I could imagine..

I guess I was idealistic and expected more than I should have and the same realities that we find in any walk of life, exist of course in hospital care.

My plan is to get filthy rich or become a celebrity!

Well, although you encountered a few silly minded people, I am glad that you stuck up for yourself. I was my mother's caregiver and spokesperson before she passed and I found that I got the most help when I spoke up for her and demanded the care that was due her. So, it's all good. I of course will be looking forward to the day when you are a celebrity. Then I can say "I knew him when he was stuck in a hospital bed without a pen or paper" So, be cool, soon you will be home amongst your things and can kick anyone out that is getting on your nerves. Take Care :)

Thank you!

It's hard to believe I got a repair...WHen the repaired valve started leaking a little 3 years or so after surgery, I had this vision or thought that a suture had come loose...How could I know? of course I couldn't and still don't...But today my cardiologist said we will know for sure when Dr. Galloway gives the post operative report on exactly what he did to fix it.

It's only been 4 days since surgery, I look ok but am very easily winded and out of breath,,,I know this will take awhile but wish it would all just be perfect, no work required. OK, I just actually did say that...I know how lucky I am...it's great...i thought i was going home today but they said my INR was too low and I'm staying till it's at a certain number.

Time for a nap!

Youir posts are all so clear ......little evidence of pump-head .....congrats and keep it up

The INR numbers still didn't make them happy and they kept me here another day. Not complaining...I'm doing great and all but I feel secure here and am a tiny bit apprehensive about being home alone, even though I will have visitors and my sister will sleep over if needed.

The 'patient advocate' came to see me today and I filled him in on all my experiences here both good and bad and emphasized they were overwhelmingly good. He was a fantastic listener and I showed him the 'tape burn' on my inner forearm. He went hunting for the nurses that were in post op that day and came in at least 5x throughout the day updating me and showing me names...Finally I identified the nurse and stressed yet again, I don't want to get her fired or give a one sided story...But clearly she needed to know how her actions affected me...SHe really made me feel horrible with her combination of abuse and then apology..It was bizarre..

He just came in now to give me a final update, a report was filed and he will be back in the morning to update me again.

They are taking this all very seriously...

INR level was even LOWER today...1.4....they just gave me more and they have a call into surgeon to see what he wants to do..

Meanwhile it's 6 days post op and I feel so good today it's downright scary...I'm dressed in street clothes and antsy to get out of here!I know there will be good days and bad days but this is extremely encouraging!

My cardiologist woke me up this morning..."WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE?" he blared and woke me up...funny guy...

I was sleeping on my side and he said many can't do that so soon...

I took a shower and got my first good look at the incisions...healing nicely...shower felt great..

Well...time for a few more laps in the hallway!

Did you hear more from the Patient Advocate before you left the hospital?
Were any of the issues you discussed addressed in any way?

Happy to read on your other thread how well you are doing.
Hope you continue a bump free recovery.

Did you hear more from the Patient Advocate before you left the hospital?
Were any of the issues you discussed addressed in any way?

Happy to read on your other thread how well you are doing.
Hope you continue a bump free recovery.

I saw the Patient advocate..I think his job is to make sure I am happy and also to step in before I file a formal complaint, which my sister is really pushing me to do..I don't feel like expending energy on that but I still will follow through with the PA to find out what exactly is being done. I don't want to destroy the woman, I just want her to understand her effect and that she needs a break or some retraining...I am probably being too kind to her as a part of me thinks she's really a lunatic and not suited for her job...but if the PA tells me they are speaking with her and doing something about it, that probably will be enough for me.

Thank you for your well wishes...I read all the posts and take them all in...to be good to myself and not to push too hard...It helps!

Thanks for your response. I've been wondering about all that happened to you.
The most important is you seem to be doing exceedingly well. Use your energy for healing. Hope all goes bump free for you from here on out.

I wonder how else my life will change as my heart heals...It's been in decline and bothering me for over 4 years....it's held me back in ways I never realized and in some ways I did...Traveling was weird for me...my heat sensitivity is not yet known to have been improved but I strongly suspect it might be with heart working correctly..I've gotten more and more colds the last couple of years and the last 6 months have been almost constantly sick...

I cut off a couple of contacts with ex's that are just got good for me in the last two days...they have lingered and held me back too!

I told them both..."New Heart. New Start."

My love life has been weird, can't blame that on my heart but it never helps to feel sick and weaker...

More important than anything is I am planning for changing my life..I am blessed to be financially independent...I feel I've wasted years not living as I should, too many missed experiences and too much investing 'heart' in relationships that are unfortunately beneath me.

Here's to New Hearts. New Starts.

If I were into tattoo's...I'd get that...

Onward!

Latest posts

Back