Getting Comfortable Around the House???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just 3 months out, so some things are coming back easily !

I was pretty-well OK with most things, but I am short and bending and stretching were hard, so here are some things I did :

making sure there were extra rolls of toilet paper HANDY as we keep them on the floor in a linen cupboard;
make sure juice, pop etc. bottles etc. are not tight
breakfast cereal and a few snack things left on the kitchen counter for a week or two- cereal is kept higher than I could reach in the pantry
medication was left at a height I could reach;
waited until DH was in the house before I showered for a week or two, just in case, and he helped with bra etc.; sat on the end of bed with underwear, socks and pants all-in-a-row to get dressed;

neither of us drive, so after about 2 weeks, I was riding city buses, but I took "huggy" EVERYWHERE with me - he started aa few conversations, let me tell you !

The worst thing I can remember is not getting comfortable to sleep, but that passes eventually ...

oh, and here is HUGGY - they give these out at Hamilton General, they are an IKEA product, and IKEA donates them to the heart program.

More post op goodies

More post op goodies

My hubby showered with me (I love big shower stalls) for the first 3 weeks at home, because I also had a pacemaker implanted and couldn't use my left arm to wash my hair for 4 weeks. He dressed me, too, and bought me scrub tops that were a size too large to make it easier to get on and off.
I used an elevated toilet seat for the first month. It was hard to get up and down for a while after coming home, since I couldn't use my left arm. We got it at a medical supply store for about $40.
I wore soft cotton tank tops or camisoles with shelf-bras instead of the usual bra--softer and less irritating on my scar. N/A if you're a guy. :p
And scar ointment! The stuff works, and you can start using it once the surgical glue is gone (which takes a couple weeks) and the seam is sealed.

12. Food might taste pretty bad or abnormal for a time, try different stuff till you find something that tastes decent. For me beef and potatoes took forever, but pork was ok right off the bat. I lived on Jimmy Dean sausage and egg croissants the first couple weeks lol that and pork tenderloin sandwiches.

It sounds like strongly-flavored foods taste better, or at least "normal," after surgery. I wonder if others feel the same way. It will help my sis-in-law be prepared to feed me!

It sounds like strongly-flavored foods taste better, or at least "normal," after surgery. I wonder if others feel the same way. It will help my sis-in-law be prepared to feed me!

It depends. I found that the smell of garlic (which I usually love) made me want to barf! A juicy steak tasted very good.

My neighbour raises organic meat and is a great cook, she dropped off dinners for several weeks.
Mostly chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, and she purchased salmon. I avoided salt, pepper, and spice. Herbs are nice.
Many meals were split into mason jars and frozen for future lunches.
It was amazing to have all that nutrition without the extra work.

RandyL said:
"Margie Knows Best" old TV show if youre old enough to remember

Actually, I think you're mixing up "My Little Margie," with Gale Gordon, and "Father knows best," with Danny Thomas. "Our Miss Brooks" was also from that time period. All black and white. No, I didn't look any of that up. God, I'm so old...

You'll be surprised how well you do after a few days. When you get home, don't clean anything but yourself. Don't do dishes (at least not pots and pans), pick things up off the floor, dust or sweep, do laundry, empty watebaskets, take out trash, hammering, plumbing, or digging, etc. Anything that involves putting your hands in front of you and applying pressure. Do move, without carrying things. Do stretch (carefully). Begin to reclaim your body. But not too fast.

I slept on the bed from day one. You'll have to see how that works for you. Roll carefully out of bed. Keep things in arm's reach, but be aware that reaching can hurt a bit. You'll probably do TV, because it's hard to read for a while, as the anesthesia drugs take soem time to work out of your system, and you may be on painkillers.

Best wishes,

"Father Knows Best" was Robert Young. Danny Thomas was in "Make Room for Daddy." Gale Storm was "My Little Margie"; Gale Gordon is a man.

Ditto to everyone's wonderful suggetions! I hope the hosptial gives you a "heart" bear! This little guy was a lifesaver....some use heart pillows, but he is a very firm, stuffed teddy bear that is the perfect size and firmness to help you get up, cough, etc.

Start practicing the *booty scoot* as my nurses called it! :p That's that scooting side to side to get out of the bed, you can't use your hands or arms to get out for awhile!
I know this is a really old post but........what happens if, like me, you don't have a regular bed at home ? I sleep on a futon on the floor - I think it would be impossible to get up without using my arms and hands. When I was heavily pregnant I used to roll over on to my hands and knees and get up from that position, but it still involved the arms and hands. I could borrow a guest bed I suppose but I always find them really bad on my back - I never get backache with the futon directly on the floor as my back is so well supported.

Anyone else a futon sleeper ?

Anne

I can just see you now! You must be in really good shape to be able to do that. Most of us had trouble just getting out of a regular bed or chair, but the floor? Any way that it's accomplished is good, tho. Keep on keeping on. Blessins........

Hi Ann,

No, I've not had surgery yet, hence my question, how will I be able to get out of bed when my bed is a futon on the floor ? I think I'll have to borrow a camp bed.

Anne

Anne...

I will let others weigh in on this but IMHO if you get on the floor you ain't gettin back up ! Just sitting up in regular bed was a challenge. You will be amazed to see just how much of your core is involved in getting in and out of a bed. I think that was one of the worst parts of the entire recovery process. It was those "core" oriented tasks that were the most challenging (and uncomfortable0. Personally I slept in a recliner for 7 weeks post-op.

Anne,
I'm sorry to say I can't imagine how you will be able to get out of your futon without use of hands/arms. You really, really do not want to put any weight or pressure on your healing sternum. If it does not heal slowly and properly first time around, it can be a bother for a very long time. Do you by chance have or have room for a recliner style chair? I slept in our bed from first day home both of my OHS but some people here say they could not get comfortable in their beds so slept in their recliners. Is that a choice for you?

Hi Ann,

No, I've not had surgery yet, hence my question, how will I be able to get out of bed when my bed is a futon on the floor ? I think I'll have to borrow a camp bed.

Anne
I really believe you better borrow somebody's bed. I recall sort of rolling over toward my side after first removing the pillow propped under my side, trying to get that danged elbow under me to slooowly push up to sitting. put a real strain on the 'injured' part. a lazyboy chair to sleep in would really help you if you know of anybody who could loan you one. It would not be for too long before you could get back on the floor.

one other thing: DON'T SNEEZE - stop it any way you can. it's really awful - you think the end is right there.

Anne,
Even though the futon on the floor sounds great, I would try to find a recliner. You are going to need assistance with getting up and at least the recliner will put you in a more upright position when you try to stand. OHS is truly a big surprise on the body. And in order for everything to heal correctly you don't need to put any extra strain on your chest. In the beginning even opening the fridge door was impossible for me. Thankfully my children and husband were there to help.

Forget everything you have been told here, you only need one thing: "Slave".
This slave will serve you hand and foot for the first several weeks.

Said slave will drive you to your appointments, wipe your butt, shovel the snow, make your food, help with your medicine, comfort your pain, and help entertain you.

Just remember that slavery was abolished years ago and today's slave expect compensation...:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back