Full Dental Extractions Fully Anticoagulated?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you know we're all waiting with bated breath. Just because you're in agonizing pain, drugged, and wretched doesn't mean you can't tell us how it went...

Hmm... Maybe that does sound a bit callous when you actually write it down...

Be well, my friend. Tell us when you're ready.

Very best wishes,

Anxiously awaiting news. Will keep praying until we hear some good news!

I don't know. Lyn has to work and well, she has too. She is not a computer person. If all goes as planned, I'll be out sometime Friday. Don't look for any update until at least then.

INR is now 2.2 and I just started the Lovenox. Could probably have waited until tonight, but oh well, had to see if I could actually stick myself and yeap, I can! :D

I know we are all stressed but.......according to this post
Ross states friday,unless we pray harder Ross will get someone
to at least give us a break in some news tonite.
I wish too we'd hear some good news anything.

zipper2 (DEB)

To summerize the lessons learned from this experience,

You should go into this fully anticoagulated without question. I didn't. I listened to the Doctors and took myself off Coumadin and bridged with Lovenox.

Had they completely sealed all leaks before allowing me to be moved out of the OR, there wouldn't have been problems, but they left me leave with one leaker. Starting Lovenox 20 hours after surgery and starting Coumadin caused the leaker to pour nonstop. This was the fault of Lovenox. Not Coumadin, but the Doc insisted it was the Coumadin. We restitched everything and found no leaks. Two days later, a leak turned up and again, Lovenox exacerbated the bleeding profusely. I had just started my Coumadin back up that day and INR was 1.4, so you know that wasn't the cause despite Docs say so. Restitched again and no leaks. 3rd time we choose NOT to start Lovenox and simply start me back up on Coumadin. This left me unprotected for 3 to 4 days until I was therapeutic again, but no leaks and no more ER visits!

Bottom line, if you must bridge for this, be sure all leakers are sealed off otherwise, do not start Lovenox back up or your in trouble. Lovenox is far more potent then I ever realized. Hundreds of times worse then Coumadin could ever be. I know now!

What a horribly hard way to learn, Ross.
But hopefully others will benefit and learn from the nightmare you endured.
I so hope things are going smoothly for you now and your mouth is more comfortable and the healing is going well.

My most sincere best wishes all now goes well for you in all respects.

What a horribly hard way to learn, Ross.
But hopefully others will benefit and learn from the nightmare you endured.
I so hope things are going smoothly for you now and your mouth is more comfortable and the healing is going well.

My most sincere best wishes all now goes well for you in all respects.

Thanks. I just got back from my post op check up. All of the upper stitches are gone, but most all of the bottom is still there and the Doc said he didn't want to test fate and remove the 2 week old ones at this point. My jaw bone is still exposed from the alveoplasties, but the gums are starting to seal them up. It's going to be a long, slow, recovery. Until then, my Hamilton Beech Food Processor is my new best friend. I've found that everything I like I can chop up in it and still enjoy the flavors. Going to go get a sub in a few minutes and put it in there too!

Thank so much for writing down your history and your analysis of the events. I know it will be helpful for many.

Coincidentally - when I looked into having a uterine ablation and D&C. I would have had to go off Coumadin for the D&C. The doctor at the time said he'd bridge with heparin shots, that he's had too many bleed incidents with Lovenox and felt it cause more bleeding than heparin.

This left me unprotected for 3 to 4 days until I was therapeutic again,
This must've been nerve wracking. How dangerous do you feel this
was for you to do?I'm glad you got thru it okay:)

And regarding your sub in the blender...YUK!
I think I would be living on milk shakes and fruit shakes.
Hope you are feeling better-Dina

This must've been nerve wracking. How dangerous do you feel this
was for you to do?I'm glad you got thru it okay:)

And regarding your sub in the blender...YUK!
I think I would be living on milk shakes and fruit shakes.
Hope you are feeling better-Dina

I didn't like going unprotected, but in reality, the chance of a clotting event happening is small. Bear in mind I have an aortic mechanical, now if it were mitral, I wouldn't say this nor be comfortable at all. I think your alright for a short period, but with each day, that risk is increasing.

Bleeding from the mouth was not life threatening in itself, but mind you, there were 3 events, each lasting more then 12 hours before getting it stopped, therefor I'm anemic now and close to transfusion range.

I don't use a blender for food. Liquids only. I went out and bought a cheap $34 Hamilton Beech Food Processor for my food. I'm sick of liquid diet and need real food.

70450_hero.jpg
This is my new best friend!

Ribeye steak, pizza, subs, just about anything I can think of, I'm trying in it and so far so good. Some things don't have the best taste as they would as single bites, but hey, if your hungry for something, why not do the next best thing?

The doctor at the time said he'd bridge with heparin shots, that he's had too many bleed incidents with Lovenox and felt it cause more bleeding than heparin.
Heparin shots would be Lovenox. Regular Heparin you'd get from an IV and be having lab draws every 4 to 6 hours and the Heparin flow adjusted accordingly. Been there and done that with my GI bleed.

I'm anemic now and close to transfusion range.

Post-op, my Hct was 22% and they allowed me to put off a transfusion
for a day or two to see if it went up on it's own.It did.I drank alot and
took iron.
I'm surpised they allowed me to remain so low,but I told them I would
rather not get another transfusion. I really don't know why I was so
opposed to it after receiving several pints post op.
Just wanted to declare some sort of control over my body,I guess.

Glad to hear that you are not putting subs in the blender:D
Missread it as usual:eek:
Maybe I should change my name....Miss Red(?)

So sorry my friend. Happy to hear you are on the mend!

I would be soooooo tempted to throw, any and all veggies I could find in that food processor. Then again, you would not have to worry about the strenght of the Lovenox!;) Don't recommed this!

I have had 2-3 bleeds when using Lovenox in combination with the Coumadin. Always thought it was the combination. Will ask for the Heparin brigde if I require. Lovenox was 100 bucks a pop a few years back. Fortunatley, injectables are covered under my plan. Wonder if the Heparin is less expensive. And....why is it not used more if post op bleeding is an issue?

So sorry my friend. Happy to hear you are on the mend!

I would be soooooo tempted to throw, any and all veggies I could find in that food processor. Then again, you would not have to worry about the strenght of the Lovenox!;) Don't recommed this!

I have had 2-3 bleeds when using Lovenox in combination with the Coumadin. Always thought it was the combination. Will ask for the Heparin brigde if I require. Lovenox was 100 bucks a pop a few years back. Fortunatley, injectables are covered under my plan. Wonder if the Heparin is less expensive. And....why is it not used more if post op bleeding is an issue?

Thank God my Medicare HMO covered Lovenox or I'd of had to shell out $557 for 10 prefilled syringes. Lovenox is NOT CHEAP.

My proper dose:10 syringes $724.96 - save 18% ($162.47)

Latest posts

Back