Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear the news and hoping all goes very well for you Rob! Sounds like you have all of your ducks lined up in a row.
And good idea your wife had about setting up a site like that for updates. Best wishes to you :)

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear of your medical problems, sending positive thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome and speedy recovery.
remember your friends are there to help you over the mountain

hugs

Jan ( Liverpool England )

I am sorry to read about your distress and sending all my best to you and family
as yet again you endure this and sending my best wishes and prayers to you and family...
will anxiously be checking and reading for updates....God Bless

Sorry to hear about this 100 000 mile overhaul! Ideally one would not want an overhaul at all but as with all overhauls you will be as good as new afterwards. Shall send you good and healing vibes on the day you tackle the mountain again.

hey, Rob. It was a shock to hear you are going back for an overhaul. We remember that first one; you did fine and so you will again. We will check in on your web page made by your genius wife (anyone making a web page is a genius, you know). Blessins, Friend.........

Rob, I've missed you. Now I know why. Looking forward to your posts after the surgery. Warm regards Marty

Rob?! :eek2: Say this isn't true!!

I'm sending you lots of positive vibes, hugs, and prayers!! I'm sure glad you have the best taking care of you!

Take care my heart brother!

Rob, you are a tough old bird. If you can't do it - no one can. I have a feeling you will pull through just fine.

You hear that Rob! Show them cutters whose Boss!!

Dang he called you old Rob......LMAO...you know we are all there with you in heart...and I'm sure some will be there in person ;)
And I know you are gonna be just fine....take care and hollar if you need anything...I mean anything....I know where you live...I'll find ya!!!!!!

Ben

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your up coming surgery. You will be in the best of hands. Before you know it you will be as good as new. I'm glad your wife has a page where we can check your progress. Hang in there my friend. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Hi Ann,

It really is amazing isn't it!! I guess all us oldies from the site, become lurkers from time to time.
It is comforting though in knowing that there are so many friends here, both old and new!
People really do matter.... :)

Rob

Rob -

Forgive my curiosity...

I'm wondering why you decided to go to the Cleveland Clinic
and if you talked with any of the Surgeons in Nashville ( / Vandy )?

Also where / who did your first surgery?

'AL C'

Rob, I will be following your surgery and recovery closely as I just had surgery on May 3 to replace my ascending aorta and aortic valve with the St. Jude valved graft. I'm expecting mine to last more than 10 years as I'm sure you were, too. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as your surgery date approaches.

Rob -

Forgive my curiosity...

I'm wondering why you decided to go to the Cleveland Clinic
and if you talked with any of the Surgeons in Nashville ( / Vandy )?

Also where / who did your first surgery?

'AL C'

Hi Al,

Whew,... Ok.. I try and answer this one..I do find it difficult to explain exactly.

My decision to go to the Cleveland Clinic was a simple one. They are simply rated as the best hospital for Heart surgery in the country. After going there for preliminary tests, I must say that I was was/am totally impressed. Since they do so many open heart surgeries per year, they have seen and performed probably every possible condition that we can throw at them. People from all over the world come to this hospital for heart surgery.

Vandy is also a top rated hospital, and the one that saved my life when I had emergency open heart surgery 10 years ago. That one was totally unexpected, not preplanned, not time for choices, or thoughts. It was all about just getting me to the hospital after the 911 call before I died from my dissection that ruptured. One that I never even knew existed. The doctors that operated on me are no longer there. They have moved on to other hospitals and positions. My heart surgeon was Dr. Pierson, and my vascular surgeon was Dr. Passman.

My cardiolgist today is with the St Thomas hospital heart group. He is real good, but the hospital itself did not feel right for me for various reasons that I will not get into on here.

I feel very comfortable with my choice of hospital and also with the surgeons that will be on the team. The hospital is truly one that others should benchmark against, and the surgeons are tops.

It is true that I will have to foot some extra costs like for airfare, and hotel, (For my wife mostly, although she will spend most of the time in my hospital room). Also I know that my family and friends will not be close during the surgery. However, I would rather that I get though this surgery, and then see my family and friends for many years into the future after the surgery.

Frankly, there is only one me, and if I have the chance to go to the best place for my surgery, then I owe it myself to do so.

My surgery is a complex, complicated "re-do" surgery. My aorta is dissected from the heart valve all the way down, and on to my left knee cap. They have to work around this while replacing the valve, and a graft, and also try and repair a weak spot that could develop into an aneurysm within a few years.

My decision is purely a "personal" choice to select, (what in my opinion), is the best hospital and surgeons for me.

I hope this info helps answer your question,

Rob

Rob, I will be following your surgery and recovery closely as I just had surgery on May 3 to replace my ascending aorta and aortic valve with the St. Jude valved graft. I'm expecting mine to last more than 10 years as I'm sure you were, too. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as your surgery date approaches.

Hi mecretired,

Congrats on your succesful surgery!
I am sure it will last a long time, May 3rd is my B-day. That should be good luck. I'm still around, and luckier than I deserve at times. :)

When I had my surgery , they told me the valve would last a lifetime. They told that to me when I woke-up with my aortic valve replaced with a St Judes valve 10 years ago.

The valve still works like a charm. But, due to the scar tissue building up under the valve, I now have life threatening issues that must be addressed.
Not all people develop scar/pannis tissue. In those that don't have scar tissue issues, their valves can keep on ticking for years and years. I am just one of the unfortunate ones whose body decided to reject the valve and grow scar tissue. A surgeon in Nashville told me it could have been due to something as simple as the fact that the thread they used 10 years ago to sew the valve in, is what the body is really rejecting, not the valve itself. He also said that there has been a lot of progress made with valves, thread, etc, over the last 10 years. Hopefully the new valve that I get soon will have better results than the last one.

All of the valves have improved over the last 10 years, and so has the surgical equipment, and the doctors methods for surgery.

Hey you are getting on to 3 months after your surgery, you should be feeling much better these days than the earlier weeks after surgery. I am so dreading having to go through all this again, and have to tell myself that in a few months after, I too will begin to feel better. It does take a while to get back to 100% after the surgery.

Thanks for the good wishes, thoughts and prayers for my upcoming surgery.

Wishing you many years of healthing living ahead,
All the best,

Rob

Thanks for the informative explanations Rob. I understand and agree.

Dr. Pettersson has to be one of the Top Valve Surgeons in the World.
Good Choice!

Was your Pannus Growth detected in a routine Follow-Up Exam or were you exhibiting some 'worrysome' symptoms that led you to request a check up? What type(s) of tests did you have to assess the Pannus Growth? (Echo, TEE?)
Fingers crossed that the Pannus Barrier on the ON-X Valve prevents a repeat of that issue.

'AL' (same first replacement in same position)

Back