Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Al,

I had no outward symptoms. In fact, I was running 2 miles a day on the treadmill and then lifting weights for 30 min. I did this 5 days a week.
I was until my visit with Dr Pettersson a few weeks ago. He said that from then to my surgery to take it easy and not get my BP too high. So now I am walking mostly on the tradmill, break into a few 1 or 2 min jogs, and then lift a few light weights with high reps. I just want to stay in good health to help take on the rigors of the surgery from a physical standpoint.

My cardiologist begin noticing some "narrowing" about 2 years ago. It was then that he change my annual echocardiogram to every 6 months. Earlier this year was when he said that it has really closed in, and that if it was not addressed within the next 4-6 months, it would be come dangerous, and most likey would have a "major cardiac event" with 12 months that I most likely would not survive. Up until this year he said that it was something to watch, but not critical. That song changed in March. At that time, was when he said I need to make some major life changing decisions.

We then talked about surgery, and told me that there were 3 premliminary tests that any surgeon would want to have done to properly evaluate me.
a "TEE", CT Scan, and a Cath. I also had a Stress Echo. I actually made it to 13 min 20 sec on the stress echo, and only stopped becuase I couldn't walk that fast, I would break out into a jog. The RN said that I was supposed to walk only. grrrrr... I could have ran for the remaining 1 mon 40 sec to have reach the full 15 min.

The results from these tests were reviewed by each surgeon I interviewed.

I am hopeful about the On-X valve doing a better job over the long haul. My St Judes with graft went 8 years without any issues being noticed by my doctors.

I should also note that the degredation of health due to scar tissue / pannis is so gradual, that I may not even realize how bad I fee today. To me, I feel "normal", but who knows... So, I am looking forward to seeing just how much "better" I will feel with the On-x valve. It has a wider opening, this more blodd flow, and also has the pannis berrier. The increase in blood flow through it really should make me feel great after the recovery period from the surgery that is. Who knows... I could come out of this feeling like I am in my 20's again!!!!! Woo HOooooo!!!!

Still working on my 1st cup of coffee this morning... hopefully awake enough to have made scents in my post here. :)

All the best,
Rob

Rob, is there anyway they can check you beforehand for a possible suture material reaction, in case it happens to be something your body dislikes? I was remembering a member here who has an extremely high allergy to all things acrylic and she is concerned about surgical materials. Thanks for all those details you explained too. You have my continued best wishes :)

Rob, is there anyway they can check you beforehand for a possible suture material reaction, in case it happens to be something your body dislikes? I was remembering a member here who has an extremely high allergy to all things acrylic and she is concerned about surgical materials. Thanks for all those details you explained too. You have my continued best wishes :)

Great idea..!!:thumbup:

Hi Lily,

Thanks for that great idea. It was even second'd by Shezagirlie !!

I'll ask to see if they can check into this.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob, I hate to hear you are having to do this all over again. My mitral St. Jude seems to be doing fine and it will be 7 years next week. I hope everything goes well for you. I'll have you in my prayers.

Hi Ben,

I already have fired off a e-mail to Dr Pettersson's assistant.

I'll keep ya posted.

Rob

Rob,
I will be praying for you. I just had the on-x valve implanted in me and they ended up sewing a conduit to it as I had aorta, valve and aortic root repalced. The FDA is scheduled to approve the valve with conduit any day now. Hopefully this will happen before your surgery. Keep calling on-x and see if it has been approved. I found Catharine Burnett to be extremely helpful. My thoughts are with you.

Latest posts

Back