Forgot to ask

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradvo

How long with the feet and knee swellings, I guess legs. I have on compression socks, hate them and can't wait to shed them. I drink water but seem to be retaining it. Been a week today since operation.

Brad

Brad,
I hope you're keeping track of your weight so you can accurately gauge how much swelling you're experiencing. Fluid retention is very common after surgery, and you might have to go on a short term course of diuretics to shed the water. I was told that if I gained more than 2 pounds in 24 hours, I should call the cardiologist or surgeon.
By the way, I left my compression socks at the hospital at discharge.

At one week post op I was still in hospital and my feet bloated....Doc gave me a day or two of diuretics but that
crashed my potassium level and in the middle of the night I went into SVT. Got Sotalol for that and all was fine
afterwards :)

Hi, Brad. As Duffey says, this a very common experience. It should not be a serious problem unless your weight begins to increase significantly so during the early weeks of recovery, it is a good idea to weight one's self twice a day. You would normally expect some weight fluctuation as fluid comes and goes but it is a problem if weight continues to rise or if it rises sharply since it could mean you are retaining fluid for some serious reason. If you keep a notebook and record your weight twice a day, you can see what is happening and report to your doctor exactly what you are seeing. I found this became less of a problem once I was home and able to walk more outside.

Larry

I was given lasix in the hospital to rid the water weight and was not released until I lost all that weight which happened quickly.

I did not have to wear the compression stockings after either of my surgeries but know they are common.
Even though I was no longer on lasix when I went home and had lost all the water weight, I was instructed to weigh myself each morning after using the restroom but before dressing. If I gained three pounds, I was to contact my doctor.
It never happened, thankfully.

Hope you lose the water quickly and are more comfortable.

Brad, you may want to check with your doc but it my understanding that the compression stockings were to prevent blood clotting while bedridden in hospital to prevent patients from stroking out ....I was and am on lasix for CHF

Brad since you also had a CABG things might be a little different too. Where did they take the vein fromoe of your legs or chest? Justin never had to wear compressions stocking, he had the inflatable leg things the first night in CICU, but since he was up and walking alot the next day, like Greg mentioned the concern with being in bed alot, he didn ned them.

Brad. Hope you are doing well ! I'm curious tho. Is this swelling common on both the mini sternotomy as well as the full. I'd like to be as fully prepared mentally as what to expect. I guess most in this forum are full stern. Am I'm told I'll be mini good lord willing & the creek don't rise!! Thx ! Nancy Jane.

It was from my leg. The swelling has gone down some as my weight, I removed them for now, needed a break. I have been also been walking.

Brad

ps
still weak, but getting a little better each day.

Latest posts

Back