Flu shots - Chronic Condition

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
It's flu shot season again, oh yippee.

In my neck of the woods, last year was a mess on who got the H1N1 vaccine - had to be over 55 with a heart condition in order to get the vaccine before the general public.

This year our Health Board states the following (taken from their web-site):

People at high risk of complications or hospitalization:

* People 65 years of age or older (or turn 65 prior to March 31, 2011)
* Pregnant women
* Children 6 months to 4 years of age
* People who are severely obese
* People of any age who are residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities
* Anyone with chronic health conditions such as:
- chronic heart or lung disorders (including cystic fibrosis and asthma);
- diabetes;
- cancer, immunodeficiency, immunosuppression (due to underlying disease and/or therapy);
- renal disease;
- anemia or hemoglobinopathy;
- conditions with an increased risk of aspiration (muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis or acquired brain injury);
- children and adolescents with conditions treated for long periods with acetylsalicylic acid;

I find it difficult to even say that I have a heart condition - but with the above wording,
does that put me (and others) in the Chronic Heart category?

If it does......I can go for the vaccine on Oct. 12, if not, I may have wait until December....again.

What are your thoughts/suggestions? Am I (we) have a chronic heart condition?

Last edited:
I went to my PCP several week for a yearly checkup. My PCP gave me the flu/pneumonia shot. He says normally I give the pneumonia shot just for elderly but in my case anyone with heart condition should get the pneumonia shot.

I totally agree about getting the flu/pneumonia shot. The H1N1 is suppose to be in with this mixture this year. My doctor has never offered to give me the vaccine, even when that same clinic that my doctor is in was giving the "shot" to those who were over 55.

They have not announced any shortages of flu vaccine in U.S. this year and are saying everyone over 6 months of age should get the flu shot unless allergic to eggs or other substantial reason not to.

It is readily available all over the place in Massachusetts. They are only asking any reason to NOT get it.
H1N1 is included in the regular seasonal flu shot they are giving this year.
DH and I had ours already.
Both DH's doctor and mine have planned flu clinics but we didn't want to wait and got it sooner.

I think the heart is usually considered chronic. I was not happy last year when I called the ped and they said Gabe's heart condition didn't put him in a chronic category. His heart works as close to normally as possible but is far from normal. I was so upset I had DH call them and inquire as to why he wasn't considered chronic. After reviewing the file he was granted one of the first ones. This year he'll get it. We usually have all 3 boys get it (though b/c of the shortage he was the only one to get H1N1 last year). DH and I usually get one as well. I don't like the ingredients in it but want to reduce the risk of any of us getting it. DH and I had what I think was swine flu last year and it was bad. 2-3 days of being pretty sick followed by weeks of fatigue. I'd never felt that off for so long before. Thankfully none of the boys got it.

Flu shots (Both regular Plus H1N1) are being offered by Many of our Local Pharmacies here in Alabama this year with signs and TV ads telling people to "call to schedule your Flu Shot".

The question is: is having a heart condition considered being "chronic"?

Thanks Becca for your response. I was mad too last year, although last year our Health Board did not use the word 'chronic', just those who have a heart condition, but you had to be over 55 to receive the vaccine early. Those who were younger with a heart condition had to wait "their turn".

In my mind chronic is anything that needs regular care for that specific problem, or something that could cause complications that a healthy person wouldn't have with the same illness. But then I'm not doctor so it's purely my opinion :)

I was really mad because the ped was restricting doses to certain kids and the health dept. was going to give them out to everyone as soon as they came it. It seemed like such a random distribution. Some states/areas were orderly and others it was a full lottery- sick had to enter the lottery with everyone else. So far my state doesn't have a shortage this year so no big deal for us!

The question is: is having a heart condition considered being "chronic"?

I suggest asking your Cardio and/or Primary Care Physician.

Personally, I would push for 'someone' to do whatever it takes for you to justify getting your shot ASAP.

Alternatively, just "show 'em your scar" :)

Or Not!

Or Not!

I'm glad people have a choice about whether or not to get a flu shot. I've never worried about getting one and despite working in "germ factories" called schools, have never encountered any problems. Yeah, my school had a H1N1 outbreak last year, but I never got it. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks out there who need a flu shot worse than me. You guys are welcome to mine if there's a shortage again this year.

-Philip

My health care insurance here in South Africa classifies conditions as either chronic or not. They have a separate payment system for chronic conditions with no limit. My AVR and the medications I have to take are considered to be a chronic heart condition and they cover the cost of all my medication and regular scheduled tests.

Whether I like the idea of having a chronic heart condition, or not, it gives me certain advantages, so I say tell your health system you have a chronic heart condition and get an early flu shot.

Are they saying there is a shortage of vaccine in Canada this season? I thought huge quantities had been manufactured this year in response to last year's shortages in both U.S. and Canada.

My late Mom had a kidney transplant and so was basically first in line for all flu shots, etc. since her immune system was purposefully being repressed.
For me: NO way am I getting the flu shot.
Last year hubby had the flu wipe out most of his company site, and I just stayed in my own office until he got better.
No big deal, we survived.
Freddie, there are so many different thoughts and reasonings on the need for flu shots, you may need to flip a coin.

Are they saying there is a shortage of vaccine in Canada this season? I thought huge quantities had been manufactured this year in response to last year's shortages in both U.S. and Canada.

To my understanding there is NO shortage here in Canada. It's just those who are high risk (see my 1st post) go first.

Thanks, Freddie. That's what confused me. If they have plenty, why does anyone have to wait? Why can't people get it upon request now? DH and I went to a flu clinic when we felt like it. Walked in, filled out the papers and got our vaccine.

Last year, when there was a shortage, then we had to wait until those more at risk were first innoculated.

My pcp considers me a high risk patient. I can just make an appt to get my shots. I'm not happy about the h1n1 being included with the other 2 this year. I haven't had my flu shot yet. She did give me a pertussis shot, though, and then denied a pnuemonia shot for me. When I was hospitalized before my OHS, they were really pushing me to get the pneumonia shot, but I wanted to ask my dr. about it, and forgot, so I never got it. It seems that it would be a good idea, but I guess i'm not old enough!

Thanks, Freddie. That's what confused me. If they have plenty, why does anyone have to wait? Why can't people get it upon request now? DH and I went to a flu clinic when we felt like it. Walked in, filled out the papers and got our vaccine.

Last year, when there was a shortage, then we had to wait until those more at risk were first innoculated.

Wish I had an answer to your questions, but that's how this Health Board of mine (not the same as Greg A. or Bina's) want to work it.

FYI - each Province in Canada has their own Health Board, but Health Care is treated the same throughout Canada.
Confused??? Welcome to Canada :biggrin2:

Hi Feddie,

Am a big believer in the flu shot insurance and having been getting flu shot for a dozen years now, it is an insurance policy against what they think will be the outbreak for the years' season.

Lat year, Costco was running a flu shot clinic, believe it was $12, no wait, easy does it...H1N1 was different and exceptional last year as there were early shortages, but eventually all that wanted got it before Xmas...maybe the shots are what prevented the epdemic...who knows.

Gil

Back