First Time Poster from the Chicagoland area

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

Hello. I've been a lurker here for some time and thought it was time for my first post. I was diagnosed with mild BAVD in the summer of 2004 and later that fall I had a drug eluting stent place in one of my arteries. I was 49 at the time the stent intervention took place. I've been monitored by my cardiologist with semi annual echo's since my BAVD was diagnosed in 2004. I had an angio done last summer and the stent and arteries looked good at that time.

I'm a fairly active 54 year old, actually I'll be 54 in the middle of August, that tries to get to the gym as my schedule will allow, usually 3 to 4 times a week. Under the advice of my cardio I quit lifting heavyweights in 2004. Since 2004 I've been doing cardio only on the stairmaster. I currently do a 5 minute warm up on the treadmill and then 35 to 40 minutes on the stairmaster at either level 3 or 4. I'm never short of breath but have noticed some chest discomfort when I first start working out and it sometimes subsides as I get further into my workout.

I had my 6 month echo two weeks ago and my follow up this past Mondaywith my cardio. My valve area is about .9 and I believe he said the mean gradient, I believe that was the right term he used, was just under 60. The minor chest discomfort while working out has been around for some time now. So.................my cardio finally thought it was time to get the valve replaced. I can't say I disagree becaused I know I do feel different while working out as compared to a few years ago.

I've got appointments with two surgeons Dr. Choh at Sherman in Elgin and Dr. Sullivan at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove during the next two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with these two surgeons? Any other surgeons I should be taking into consideration? I hope to get over to Northwestern Memorial in Chicago as well.

Lastly, I'm the oldest of 4 males in my family. My youngest brother had an aortic aneurysm replaced with a St Jude and dacron graft some 10 years ago. He has 37 at the time of his surgery. He is doing just fine. My next youger brother has BAVD as well. He is two years younger than me. My next brother lucked out and doesn't share our heart problems. Neither of my parents have BAVD although my dad has heart disease with a triple bypass done in 1986 and a couple of stents within the past 3 years. He will be 84 in November.

Well, there you have it. Not quite my life story but a little about me and my condition. I apologize for the long post. I would appreciate any input from the Chicagoland folks.

Finally, Ross which one of those pictures is really you? :)

BAVD John

Hey John Welcome, don't ever be afraid of making a long post okay?
As for Ross's picture..........one never knows fore sure. He changes weekly LOL

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the surgeons, I'm in Canada but please don't be shy to ask any questions that are on your mind.

Hi John,
Just want to say welcome as I don't know anything about surgeons in Chicago. I had both my OHS in Boston at Mass General.

We have a number of members from your area who hopefully will be by soon and might be able to help.

The #1 Question for Every Surgeon you interview is:

How much Experience do you have doing AVR's on BAV patients?

followed by

How much Experience do you have assessing Connective Tissue Disorders of the Aorta and doing repair / replacement of the Aorta if there are signs of CTD or Aneurisms.

You might also want to ask how many Surgeries of the Aorta are performed annually at those Hospitals.

As a BAV patient, it would be wise to have either an MRI of the Chest or CT Scan of the Chest to look for Aneurisms in the Ascending and Descending Aorta.

The BEST Aorta Surgeon in Chicago is most likely Ross' Hero, Dr. McCarthy at Northwestern (who was "stolen" from Cleveland Clinic).

Bottom Line: EXPERIENCE Counts and the Best Aorta Surgeons are most likely to be found at Major Heart Hospitals (as opposed to local hospitals).

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome to VR John and as youve been lurking,since 2004,no dought
you have grabbed informative knowledge here already and we enjoy
having you,bouquets to your dad also at 84 sounds like a very strong
man and endured also alot of ships weve all sailed on for same reasons.

glad you joined us

zipper2(DEB)

Hi, John, and welcome to The Waiting Room -- the virtual room where many of us await our own turns at valve surgery. I'm in a situation similar to yours, although not yet being advised to consult surgeons (knocks loudly on wood!). I am 61 and have a "probable" bicuspid valve and severe aortic stenosis. I have been active as a runner/jogger for over 30 years, and still do 4 miles/day on most week days. The only concession I have made to my valve is to slow my pace and listen to my body as to pacing my workout. I also used to lift moderate weights, but now have been advised to limit it to 40 lbs. Lately I do not have time for the weight routine, so I've limited things to my daily jog.

As I'm not shopping surgeons yet, but I am in the Chicago area, I'll be watching your posts for insight on the who's who in valve surgery in Chicago.

Welcome to vr.com. Visit often and ask questions, read a lot, and enjoy. The folks here are (in my opinion) the BEST at sharing real life experience and some good medical info as well.

Thanks for all the welcome messages. Does anyone have any other suggestions for questions that I should ask the surgeons in addition to the ones Al has suggested?

Al thanks for your question suggestions. My cardio had me get a ct scan of my aorta last summer. The aorta looked normal from the scan.

BAVD John

I would offer that if you are still not sure of your surgeon go see Dr. Robert March at Rush. Nice guy and great surgeon!

I've got appointments with two surgeons Dr. Choh at Sherman in Elgin and Dr. Sullivan at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove during the next two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with these two surgeons? Any other surgeons I should be taking into consideration? I hope to get over to Northwestern Memorial in Chicago as well.

As I mentioned in my reply to your PM, I can't help you here. All 3 of my OHS have been done at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago ... and my current cardiologist is at Northwestern Memorial in Chicago. I've had a few procedures done at Northwestern, but not full OHS.....

Good luck ... and thoughts/prayers coming your way.

WELCOME to VR.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Take me to the magic of the moment" ... Scorpions ... 'Wind Of Change'

http://www.usnews.com/directories/hospitals/index_html/specialty+ihqcard

Follow this link and it will take you to the best rated heart hospitals in the US. No, 19, 20 are in Chicgo. Then go to their web site and find the drocs that specialize in valve replacement. Ask some folks and interview a couplw. Also when you find the ones that might be valve drs google their name of past research papers etc. A place to start any how.

Latest posts

Back