Edwards Pericardial Tissue Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealR

I never thought I would pose this question, as I have been a supporter, stock-holder, and vendor for EW, but am perplexed by my latest visit to my GP.

Yesterday, he heard a heart murmur on both my Aortic and Mitral Valves while conducting a routine physical. I just seen my cardio in October, and was advised the valves sounded great. I am a little over one year out of surgery, in excellent shape, no symptons, but am spooked to hear this diagnosis. I listened to the valves myself, to me, they sounded like they did when they where implanted. Strong...forceful, tight, but no whooshing sound. A little "raspy", I think on the first sound, but tight on the second. Of course, I would not know what to listen for in the first place.

My cardio never did tell me I "didn't" have a murmur, and as said earlier, seemed very happy with the sound they were making.

Furthermore, my GP, said that if it weren't for the fact that I had both valves replaced, he wouldn't be too concerned....but he is not a cardiologist.

Can both valves give out so quickly? At the same time? Or is this a "normal" sound these valves typically make that my GP is not accumstomed to hearing? Does the EW valves make some sort of murmur? After 1 year?

Oh boy......Scheduled for an echo next week.

Please let me know if anyone with these valves has something similar.

Thanks

Coincidently, I have the same thing, 4 years out...my GP still puts in my records he hears a murmur, my cardio says I'm fine. Could it be their backgrounds and daily work that gives them different outlooks on the same sound? Like you, I have been a firm proponent of Edwards valves.

Will you be seeing your Cardio after your scheduled Echo next week?

I would ask him to take a listen and comment on your GP's observation.

It very well could be that they have different 'perspectives' but as we often say,
"When in Doubt, Check It Out".

'AL Capshaw'

You should talk to your Cardio. They are the one who has the expertise. Good luck with your echo and keep us posted. Hope everything
turns out ok.

Neal,

I am curious what your cardio tells you, I had my avr nine months before you with an Edwards bovine. My cardio told me that she heard a murmur about a 6 months ago, but its common to hear one after avr with a tissue valve.

Nick

Justin has ALWAYS had murmurs, along with some other sounds. Honestly IF you just saw your cardiologist in October (3-4 months ago) and he said they sounded great, I probably would just put a call into the Card to ask, so it will make you feel better, but wouldn't be too worried that your GP heard a murmur. I don't know about your doctors but Justin's Cardiologist even have MUCH nicer, more expensive stethoscopes than his other doctors and really can hear any tiny changes.

I hope everything is just fine and it is just your normal heart sound.

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess anything is possible when it comes to valves. Sounds like this is somwhat of a common issue. Find it hard to believe they would go bad, or fail so quickly.

Echo scheduled for Monday of next week.

Hope everyone is doing well

Neal......... Understand you are probably a little anxious until you have your Echo. Hope you get a great report. We'll all be hoping your valve is behaving in the way it should.

...I guess anything is possible when it comes to valves. Sounds like this is somwhat of a common issue. Find it hard to believe they would go bad, or fail so quickly.

Echo scheduled for Monday of next week...
Hope you get good news from your echo; please let us know. Surely most of us have worried about our valves from time to time. There was a change to mine a few years ago; I believe it tightened at the sewing ring making the opening smaller. I think it's a common issue. Again, hoping you get good news; take care :)

Neal, my Cardio says my valve is working very well with all the indicators of good performance. My GP says it sounds a little different to her than would a healthy natural valve and that it is normal in her experience. When two people listen to something it is not unusual that they hear it with a slight difference. Wait for the test results. That will tell you how the valve is performing.

Larry

I'll second Larry's advice. The fact that one doc hears a murmur may or may not be significant. The test results will tell you if there is anything to be concerned about. In my case, after living with a loud murmur and advanced stenosis for years, I will be more concerned with the measured performance than I would be about a "little bit" of noise. Kind of like my old car -- as long as it runs well and everything works, I'll forgive it a noise or two <g>.

P.S. My current plan is to go with the Edwards bovine pericardial (aortic) valve, so I'll be watching this thread, too.

I still have a mild 'murmur' although I have been told the valve is properly seated and well functioning. No one seemed concerned about it at my 1 year follow up, so I am not going to be concerned either. :wink2: What I like to hear is that it is functioning well.

Neil,

I was told that I have a murmur. I was under the impression that once your valve was replaced, NO MORE MURMUR! From my understanding, this is a different kind of murmur, and normal. I really can't remember exactly what was said. Please ask your cardio to explain. I think this is fairly common. Do not hesitate to express your concern. It will ease your anxiety.

Take care

And just a note, as this thread was specific about Edwards valves, if you ever get to southern California, consider a trip to their complex. They love seeing people with their valves and you get to meet the people who made your specific valve....it's very moving!

Well,,,the ECHO test results on the Edwards Pericardials

Well,,,the ECHO test results on the Edwards Pericardials

OK,

I knew this yesterday, but confirmed with my GP today. In speaking with the technician(still waiting on the cardio to review), there is no difference what-so-ever from post operative echo, performed 13 months ago. Valve and heart functioning very well.

Only note to make, is that the EF is considerably higher, somewhere in the 65 range, as compared to a more normal 55 to 60 range. Probable explanation:a better conditioned heart.

As some of you suggested, and confirmed yesterday by the technician, is that a GP and a Cardio hear two differnent sounds. One, being a cardiologist, more accustomed to hearing the sound of a bio-prosphetic heart valve. She further went on to say, all valves murmur.

Was advised to continue my works-outs, all is well. Thank you all very much, such as Lynn, Mentu, Kathy, Ottawagal, Malibu, Lily, Kathy, and many more. And Steve, if you are indeed going with the Edwards, I now feel reasonably safe to say,,,,visit the plant, meet the peope, trust your heart.

Once again, thank you everyone for your encouragement and compassion!:

I'm glad you were able to get it checked out so soon, so you were able to put any fears behind you. This is good info to have here since I'm sure other people will have the same question in the future.

something i didn't know but just saw on the edwards lifeisnow.com site, i didn't realize that the porcine valves are the actual valves from the pig, and the bovine are made of the sac around a cows heart. i thought that was interesting! this whole time i thought i had a cows valve in me. i am pretty sure i read it correctly though!

Back