Echocardiograms.......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Kim! and I'm 6 days from surgery! Then who is my Cardiologist.... My doctor in my hometown, in Santa Barbara, 130 mi away....? Because I didn't see any other Cardiologist, down there in LA at USC. ... Yep, this dumb!!!
Love my Cardio here... But have been told to stay down there for a while in case something happens post-op... I was told no other Cardiologist (sic) would touch me after another surgeon had gone in, that i needed to stay close to that hosp for maybe 2-3 weeks. ... I thought, so the same surgeon who did the work would be back on it if something happened... Am I ..close to being right..? Or door #2..?? ???? Michelle

Michelle, your sugeon will definitely be the one who oversees your care while you are in the hospital, however, they may also assign you a cardio while you are there too. I ended up having my surgery at the Mayo clinic, and I had both. The surgeon definitely was in charge of of my day to day care while I was in the hospital, but my cardio did drop in to see me everyday as well. Once I left and came back home, my local cardio gladly took back over my care and when any issues have come up, he and I together call my cardio at the Mayo to get their advise. So, I hate it that someone told you that no one at home would help you if you traveled for surgery because I think most of us on here have found just the opposite to be true.

Kim

Same for me.
While at Mass General, my surgeon was in charge of my care but he apppointed a cardio to look after me, as well, while I was hospitalized.

After release from the hospital, my surgeon was still in charge of my care as related to the surgery in conjunction with my local cardio. I saw both. When my surgeon released me, my local cardio took over again for my long term consults and care in conjunction with my primary care doc.

It was my local cardio who ordered two echos in the several months post op. I have no memory of having had any while in the hospital but am sure I must have.

It's this same cardio I still see and who has set the pattern for annual echos for me. That is why I started this thread.... to see how often most post op valve patients have echos.

I do have other heart issues in addition to a valve replacement so that is probably another factor he considers when ordering these echos.

I have a least one echo a year, usually two. I have one when I go to the Mayo for my yearly visit and then my local card does one as well (it really isn't necessary, but keeps him happy) when I check in with him every year. There have been times in my life when I've had one every 3 months and times when I've been allowed to go out as far as 2 years. It has all depended on how my heart has been behaving. I don't think I'll ever have less than one a year going forward.

Kim

Michelle, your sugeon will definitely be the one who oversees your care while you are in the hospital, however, they may also assign you a cardio while you are there too. I ended up having my surgery at the Mayo clinic, and I had both. The surgeon definitely was in charge of of my day to day care while I was in the hospital, but my cardio did drop in to see me everyday as well. Once I left and came back home, my local cardio gladly took back over my care and when any issues have come up, he and I together call my cardio at the Mayo to get their advise. So, I hate it that someone told you that no one at home would help you if you traveled for surgery because I think most of us on here have found just the opposite to be true.

Kim

Our experience is alot like Kim's and JKM's, Justin has a couple cardiologists and goes to a couple hospitals. He even goes to 2 hospitals in Phila, so even tho we live near a Major heart city we have lots of exprience with coordinating doctors.

My guess is they will explain who will be taking care of you when you have all the Pre op testing &talks. Be sure to ask these questions and write down the infomation altho when you leave the hospital they will give you papers with all the contact info who to call when etc.

Often you will either be assigned your own temp cardio for this period or usually in the larger Centers each week, beside the Resident and Fellow in a teaching hospital that are on the unit 24/7 there is 1 attending cardiologist that 'covers the unit. and covers the heart floor" They usually don't do procedures or see outpatients that week. they spend their time on the floor taking care of any issues that come up etc. That person might be "your cardiologist' while you are there.

When he had surgey at a hospital he did NOT have a cardiologist at, beside the surgeon checking daily, he also had one of the cardiologist at that hospital as "his" temp cardiologist. There was 1 I personally asked if he would be Justin's while there, otherwise they most likely will assign one "in charge" of you. Since we lived close, when we had any post op questions, or concerns we called that cardiologist or the surgeon, since they knew the most up to date info, then when the surgeon released him..we just went back to his regular cardiologist.

I guess different hospitals/centers Countries even do things differently, but we never checked or saw with Justin's ped or GP at all recoverring from any of his heart surgeries. We either called the surgical team or cardiologist at the hospital he had the surgery at.
I would call his main cardiologist who he's had since he was 2 days old, just to get his thoughts and make sure he agreed with things, to make ME feel better.

Last edited:
Wow, fascinating to read the differences. If it helps to add another experience, I visit the cardio every six months for a listen but have an echo once a year (today, in fact). For the first year and a half, it was office visit and echo every six months.

JKM7 its likely if you have any other issues that your cardio is watching closely.
I am echoed every 6 months since my mitral in 2009 was done.
Reason for me isnot concern of my mitral but hes watching the aortic valve i have
that turned 19 years old recently.

When i had my mitral valve done,the arotic mech, my cardio feels should have been
replaced also and they couldn't do a double replacement on me so cleaned the scar
tissue up in the arotic best they could to get it clicking again and for me it's every
6 months and a hassle cus i travel to Edmonton for my checkups abit of travel involved.
I always say better safe to check it than sorry.
There are other issues than i know im a candidate every 6 months next appt coming
up after easter for me think the 27th so prayin it goes good i don't think i want a
zipper3....GOSH since they got scar tissue out of it its clicking again,doc even gave me
a stetoscope to listen for it and i do and still clickin but i keep buggin God to keep it
clickin,know he wont give me more than i can handle,but don't know if i could do this
again....I think not:eek:

Actually I should have clarified...after my surgery and while in the hospital I saw my surgeon, his fellow, his resident, his PA, a cardiologist, his fellow, his resident, his PA, the hospital psychiatrist, the Chaplin, the RN nurses, the LPN nurses, the nursing assistants, the physical therapist, the phlebotomist...and the list could go on and on.

But what I meant by my earlier post is that until you leave USC to go home, in my opinion your surgeon will be in charge of any important decisions made about your care. Once you get home your local cardiologist will be in charge of your care unless he needs to consult with someone at USC.

since surgery i had first echo 4 days after surgery 2nd at 6months 3rd at 12months 4th at 18 months now i have been discharged to 5 yearly checks refered by my gp
prior to surgery only had one echo at 21 when i was told i had mvp then nothing till things went downhill at 45

Do I understand correctly, Dean?
You will be checked once every five years now? Are you okay with that? I'd be too nervous but that's just me.

So many differences! I had one a month after my surgery (May 2008) and none since. Lately I've been short of breath, so one is on the books for this Thursday- to try to see if it's heart or lungs. We'll see....... Forgot to say I see my cardio yearly: he just doesn't think an echo is necessary.

I just found out yesterday at my 6-week post-op appointment that I will meet with my cardio at six months post-op, but unless there are any indications we will not do the echo until 1 year post op and every year after that.

Interesting to compare what is recommended for each of us.
Of course, there can be a number of reasons why one person's cardio may want the echo when another doesn't.

So many differences! I had one a month after my surgery (May 2008) and none since. Lately I've been short of breath, so one is on the books for this Thursday- to try to see if it's heart or lungs. We'll see....... Forgot to say I see my cardio yearly: he just doesn't think an echo is necessary.

That's interesting Ruth that with a tissue valve he isn't having a look at it every year for signs of deterioration. My cardio told me that based on my echo, she'll know way before I do when my valve is going to need to be replaced, so that's why I have had at least one echo a year since my surgery. How does yours say he is going to know when there is an issue with it, when you have symptoms or by some other test? I hope your report comes out okay.

Kim

Kim- i know you have to be right. I had to cancel the echo this morning because I was too short of breath to get there! It's been rescheduled for Monday and I'l be there, even if i need to be rolled in. they are looking for pulmonary issues more than valve things, i think- I just want them to look!

How often do others have an echo? Is that more frequent than usual to have echo?

I have a checkup every 6 months, with one echo done per year. However, starting with this next checkup (this coming May), I'm having an echo done every 6 months. Ugh. :(

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_10.15.11_Volo.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Nobody likes to be let down" __ Jack Johnson __ 'Flake'

Ruthie,

I'm sorry you weren't able to go for your Echo. I'm surprised they didn't send an ambulance. Hopefully you'll be able to get there Monday.

Knightfan,

Sorry you're having to go to echo every six months. When they move up the frequency of testing, it makes us a bit nervous. Best wishes.

Kim- i had the echo yesterday and there must have been nothing awful. I'm waiting for a call. I now am on full-time oxygen (hope not forever) and that helps. It certainly is limiting- and a big change!

Knightfan,

Sorry you're having to go to echo every six months. When they move up the frequency of testing, it makes us a bit nervous. Best wishes.

Thanks.

And, yes, indeed, it does make one a bit nervous when you're told the echo needs to be done every 6 months again. That will take place May 19 ... then a few weeks later, June 3, I'll have to have an EGD done. Lovely.

*rolls eyes*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"No good news in the news this morning" __ Lacy J Dalton __ 'Black Coffee'

Latest posts

Back