Echocardiograms.......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

I saw my cardio today and had a good appointment, thankfully.
I'm three years out from my second surgery but he still sees me every six months and wants to continue that pattern. I thought he'd switch me to an annual appointment but he said no.

He also does an echo annually.
How often do others have an echo? Is that more frequent than usual to have echo?

I have an echo done once a year and see my cardio once he has the results.

I would ask why/what is his reasoning to see you every 6 months.

After my first surgery I saw my surgeon 2-3 weeks post-op, then my cardiologist at 3months and then 9 months later. After that it was annual with echo.

After my 2nd surgery (7 weeks ago) I saw my surgeon after 3 weeks to have my staples removed and my cardiologist after another 3 weeks. My surgeon sees his patients for life. Since he specializes in disease of the aorta he sees his patients annually for an MRI so he can get a good view of the ascending aorta that an echo cannot give. I will also see my cardiologist annually so overall I will be seen every 6 months by either my surgeon or my cardiologist. I think that is because my surgeon is busy and doesn't spend a lot of time with me (basically go over the MRI results and that is it) while my cardiologist (and his/her PA) will spend much more time with me going over how I have been doing overall the past year. I doubt I will have an echo when I see my cardiologist because the MRI should see everything they need to see...valve, root graft, and ascending aorta graft. If he/she does hear something different they might do an echo at that point. BTW the reason I say he/she is because I go to a Duke heart clinic that specializes in ACHD patients and I have seen both male and female cardiologists.

After my first surgery I saw my surgeon 2-3 weeks post-op, then my cardiologist at 3months and then 9 months later. After that it was annual with echo.

After my 2nd surgery (7 weeks ago) I saw my surgeon after 3 weeks to have my staples removed and my cardiologist after another 3 weeks. My surgeon sees his patients for life. Since he specializes in disease of the aorta he sees his patients annually for an MRI so he can get a good view of the ascending aorta that an echo cannot give. I will also see my cardiologist annually so overall I will be seen every 6 months by either my surgeon or my cardiologist. I think that is because my surgeon is busy and doesn't spend a lot of time with me (basically go over the MRI results and that is it) while my cardiologist (and his/her PA) will spend much more time with me going over how I have been doing overall the past year. I doubt I will have an echo when I see my cardiologist because the MRI should see everything they need to see...valve, root graft, and ascending aorta graft. If he/she does hear something different they might do an echo at that point. BTW the reason I say he/she is because I go to a Duke heart clinic that specializes in ACHD patients and I have seen both male and female cardiologists.

Have you considerred asking for just 1 Cardiologist instead of different ones all the time?

Have you considerred asking for just 1 Cardiologist instead of different ones all the time?

Lyn that is impossible to do as they rotate between the main clinic, their satellite clinics, and the hospital. They are all top notch cardios. They do usually tell me who is there and give me a choice between them, so if there is one there I have seen more than others or like more than others I will tell them who I would like to see.

Sometimes Cardiologists will put patients on a 6 month Echo Schedule if they are concerned about a possible progressive condition (which may or may not be related to the valve that was replaced).

I wonder if it makes any difference as to the type of valve you have (i.e. tissue versus a mechanical) re: echo. monitoring protocol?

Post-op, I was told once a year for an echo. I ended up with an echo at 3 days (due to complications), then 3 months and at the one year mark.

This is one of the situation where "one size does not fit all" and will depend on the diagnosis and prognosis of the patient and the "professional comfort level" of the cardio. From the introduction of the "Echo" many years ago, I received an echo every two years from my previous cardio group. After switching cardios two+ years ago, I have been getting one each year. I'm in the process of switching cardios again(network problem), and will be curious what my new "old" cardio will recommend.

After the first six months echo after surgery, my cardio wanted to see me every four months! I always procrastinated...I allowed my anxiety to come in the way instead of pushing me forward. So, I never saw him every four months. By the time I see him next in early May, it will be 8 months like the times before!

In May, I will make sure that I will schedule the next appointment before I leave his office!

Last edited:
Lyn, don't know where to drop in here, but I tried to reply to your wonderful followup re tissue, THEN TAVI (agree) :confused:but I think cyberspace ate it. I hope...but is it really
Possible.... I could GET my dr for life, as he is probably REALLY in demand (?) don't want to get off topic here, but your box was full...thank you SO much for yet again so going the extra mile for me, was mucho appreciated. Michelle

Lyn, don't know where to drop in here, but I tried to reply to your wonderful followup re tissue, THEN TAVI (agree) :confused:but I think cyberspace ate it. I hope...but is it really
Possible.... I could GET my dr for life, as he is probably REALLY in demand (?) don't want to get off topic here, but your box was full...thank you SO much for yet again so going the extra mile for me, was mucho appreciated. Michelle

IF you are asking if you could get the surgeon you want, yes. Of course you may have a longer wait, since usually, the better known most experienced surgeons are the surgeons, IF people want a certain surgeon ask for. Many patients choose their hospital and are happy having any of the surgeons on staff, so usually the "group" assign them a surgeon, who has experience with what surgery they are having and who has the next opening on their OR schedual.
So the surgeon many pateints ask for most likely have a longer waiting list than the other very good surgeons.

As for if he would be your doctor for "life"? IF you are talking about the surgeon, usually The only time you will see the surgeon , is from before surgery until they release you after your recovery, a usually a few weeks or maybe months.

The Majority of people don't ever see their surgeons again once they recover. Unless they need another surgery, if they do. The routine check ups are done by the Cardiologist.

Last edited:
Michelle, Dr. Starnes is your surgeon. I only know because I consulted him for my surgery as well because he does a lot of adult congenital patients too.

Kim

After surgery, getting fixed and released.... in 11 years I had 2 echos. One of them was just last year due to a symptom.

Best wishes!

Thank you, Kim! and I'm 6 days from surgery! Then who is my Cardiologist.... My doctor in my hometown, in Santa Barbara, 130 mi away....? Because I didn't see any other Cardiologist, down there in LA at USC. ... Yep, this dumb!!!
Love my Cardio here... But have been told to stay down there for a while in case something happens post-op... I was told no other Cardiologist (sic) would touch me after another surgeon had gone in, that i needed to stay close to that hosp for maybe 2-3 weeks. ... I thought, so the same surgeon who did the work would be back on it if something happened... Am I ..close to being right..? Or door #2..?? ???? Michelle

Thank you, Kim! and I'm 6 days from surgery! Then who is my Cardiologist.... My doctor in my hometown, in Santa Barbara, 130 mi away....? Because I didn't see any other Cardiologist, down there in LA at USC. ... Yep, this dumb!!!
Love my Cardio here... But have been told to stay down there for a while in case something happens post-op... I was told no other Cardiologist (sic) would touch me after another surgeon had gone in, that i needed to stay close to that hosp for maybe 2-3 weeks. ... I thought, so the same surgeon who did the work would be back on it if something happened... Am I ..close to being right..? Or door #2..?? ???? Michelle

Michelle,

Your surgeon will watch over you while at USC, once you get home your cardiologist will watch over you.

Back