DRIVETOPLESS/ Tracy UPDATE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it that women seem to recover faster and smoother then men? Is it because they get nicer pillows? Mine was abour 8 inches square and 2 inches thick,more like a posatge stamp.

Greg, thanks for posting the link here on my caringbridge site.

Today is day 4 post op and I'm feeling MUCH better. I have much respect for you guys who have been through this. It has been more challenging that expected, but I think I'm doing well with it. The nurses here said that younger folks tend to have more issues with pain for some reason.

Day 1- was in surgery/recover about 4 hours and then got moved to CCU for a day. I was intubated about 5 hours in CCU and was pretty aware of it. Not fun, but you all knew that.
That evening was rough as I learned to breathe through the pain and not to freak out with the inability to take a deep breath. Was a little panicky, but pain meds helped. Did not get much sleep.
Sat on the edge of the bed that evening. Got some exercise training and lots of respiratory treatments.
Day 2 - Trouble with Nausea. stayed in CCU until that afternoon. They removed the chest tube and one of the neck tubes. Took my first walk which was a long one down the hall from CCU to my regular room. Took 2 more walks that day and got lots more respiratory treatments which really helped a lot. Slept much better that night.
Day 3 - Removed the insulin drip as my blood sugar was stable. Got the neck transducer out of my neck. Retaining about 15-20 lbs of fluid so Lasik (sp?) was given. Slept even better, so I feel comfortable about being able to breathe at night at home.
Day 4 - Trouble with Nausea again, but finally getting better this evening. I get a shower in an hour and cannot wait! More Lasik for the fluid retention. Took my longest walk today. I get to go home tommorrow after they take out the pace wires.

I got a 21mm On-X valve through a 3" inch mini-sternotomy incision. The drainage tube was in my chest instead of my abdomen, so the incision has been pretty painless. THe coughing is excrutiating, of course.

SO , all in all, I'm still here and recovering. Thanks so much for your kindness and posts here. The support and love really does help.

It's almost like getting a "do=over" on the rest of your life.

l.bkwEQTJtdSGzOLik.jpg

Today is a great day everyone. Tracy has left the hospital. Yay! Doesn't she look great! :) The pic is of Tracy and her Brother Chris

l.ffoAeBxUJPjHGWGJ.jpg

:thumbup:Fantastic. I just may have to go back and get me another heart surgery just to get one of those neat pillows. They just kicked me out the front door of the hospital and told me too use a pillow off my bed at home:frown2:.

PILLOW ENVY
Ya, either that pillow is 2-3x the size of mine, or Tracy's about 4'5" tall! :)

Quit making me laugh now, please. You know how that feels. Not nice. :)

I am shorter (5'4"), but that pillow is pretty darn big. Here's one that will really make you all jealous. I got a LUNG pillow, too. They were short on heart pillows when I was in CCU because of delays in shipments due to the recent Georgia ice storm, so they hooked me up with the lung pillow first. It is mauve in color and has a spilt in it, so it makes a great neck/head support pillow. Heart pillow is still the best, though.

It has the name of the hospital on the flip side and was supplied by compliments of Medical Center Auxillary, INc. 3 folks from Mended Hearts also visited me in the hospital.

Yeah, I'm bragging.

:)

Last edited:
PILLOW ENVY

Quit making me laugh now, please. You know how that feels. Not nice. :)

I am shorter (5'4"), but that pillow is pretty darn big. Here's one that will really make you all jealous. I got a LUNG pillow, too. They were short on heart pillows when I was in CCU because of delays in shipments due to the recent Georgia ice storm, so they hooked me up with the lung pillow first. It is mauve in color and has a spilt in it, so it makes a great neck/head support pillow. Heart pillow is still the best, though.

It has the name of the hospital on the flip side and was supplied by compliments of Medical Center Auxillary, INc. 3 folks from Mended Hearts also visited me in the hospital.

Yeah, I'm bragging.

:)

Two pillows ... I am jealous:eek2: ... my heart pillow had a marker Velcro-ed to it so family, friends and hospital staff could write on it ( like a yearbook) ... glad you see you posting!!!:thumbup:

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:45 AM, EST
Day 6 Post Surgery
Hi, folks-Tracy here. I'm Baaaacccck. I'll post more about my hospital experience (from my point of view) later but just wanted send a quick shout out to all my support team and the amazing job they've done so far:
My love, Marty, who has been an amazing partner through all of this. He was nervous about taking care of me, but I could not have asked for anything more. He was so patient, kind, and attentive, as usual. Poor guy has been on the clock longer than anyone and is sleep deprived, so cut him some slack this week. :)
Mom and Dad who braved the weather and drove over to be by my side on Surgery Day. Mom sat with me the first night out of CCU- probably my toughest night. She was there for every wimper and cough throughout the night. There's nothing like a mother's touch to sooth the mending heart. Dad, who has the best hugs in the world, and knows just how to administer them.
Brother Chris who was there for support and "to doing" the day I went for surgery and the day I came home from the hospital. A big little brother is wonderful blessing.
Andrea - who kept caring bridge up to date so the family could focus on other things. Andrea is also coming over to babysit me the next few day. Don't know what I would do without her selfless friendship.
Louise- my prayer partner. Louise says the most beautiful prayers-they are like music. She came over VERY EARLY and prayed with the family just before my surgery and what a comfort that was to everyone. Louise has been through OHS twice, and we have the same cardiologist. We met at M.A. Hanna and have been heart friends for years.
Denise and George- Neighbors extraordinaire. Denise dazzled Marty and I with her heart healthy salmon and veggies the first night home from the hospital--my first meal post surgery that did NOT taste like cardboard.
Friends and Family- thank you all for your posts and prayers. I was reading them, though too tired to respond directly. They were so important in keeping my spirits up. Knowing prayers were drifting toward heaven helped me know I was in God's hands and that everything was as it should be. God bless you all.

Latest posts

Back