Day 12 Post-Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edjspi

I was going to add to one of my other posts, but since there are several out there now, I thought I would start a new one...

Just a quick note to say I am now Day 12 post-op from my second AVR, got a On-X Mechanical valve this time around, and for the most part everything is going very well.

a big THANKL YOU to everyone here at VR - you have helped me tremendously now at TWO times in my life when I really needed it - both with the preparation for the surgery, and the issues that have come up post-op.

I vowed to NOT dissappear from the forum like i did in 2004 after my first AVR, so let me just put this out there: I'm happy to tell anyone about my experiences, so for anyone with questions, especially those facing a first AVR, ask away!

A few observations/comments from my second experience:

-I can still hear the valve when It's quiet or when I focus on it. this is a little discouraging even though I was expecting it... not getting TOO bummed about it though

-the epidural I got the day after my surgery in ICU was the BEST THING that happened to me! It was suggested 'off the cuff' by the ICU doc who was doing rounds, and I literally had instant pain relief from it. They left it in for a few days. I have already told me surgeon and Cardiologist that IMO, an epidural should always be offered post-op.. it helped me THAT MUCH

-as of last Thursday (day 9 post-op), my INR is still below 2.0. they want it between 2.0 - 2.5. I get tested again tomorrow (mon 9/20), and I REALLY hope that it is there. I've been giving myself shots in the belly 2x/day each day in addition to the Coumadin in an attempt to get it right. This has been the biggest downer for me so far I'd say... so that's not too bad I guess!

thanks again everyone
-eddie

That's for the update. I'm glad things are going so well. Hopefully your INR is in range today and you can be done with your shots. Now just remember your job for the next couple weeks, is to take care of yourself, walk, do your breathing, rest..don't over do it. Looking forward to your next good update :)

Good to hear how well you are doing.
You are bound to have a few little 'downers' along the way but sounds like you are keeping a great attitude. Don't get discouraged... it keeps getting better and better. :)

I am 7 weeks out and they are still trying to get my Coumadin at a level they want it. They want my INR between 2.5 and 3.5. Apprantly, I am very sensitive to it, and only require a very little dose, and some days without taking it at all. They told me it might take 3 months to get it at the correct spot. I understand what you mean about it being a downer, I also just wish it would be at the correct level and stay that way.

Latest posts

Back