CT Scan

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
It would seem from all the posts that everyone has had a CT scan. I have never been told that it was required but on the last visit after an Echo I was told that there had been some progression. It is now in the "mild to moderate" range. Not sure what the actual numbers were. Can an Echo pick up on an aneurism or would you have to have a CT scan to diagnose? Would a CT scan be better able to see the severity of the stenosys?

CT scan for the aneurysm. Echo's are ok for estimates, but for accuracy, you need a catheterization.

I probably couldn't count the number of echos I've had, but a CT scan was done 4 days before my AVR to confirm the estimated size of my aortic aneurysm.

Jumpy, I, too, have a file of echo-cardiograms but no CT Scan. When an echo-cardiogram showed my valve was much worse than it was 6 months earlier, my Cardio's first response was to say that it was probably a bad test. He then ordered a heart cath and was a little surprised to find that the valve was even worse than the echo had indicated. During the heart cath, the doctor can make very accurate measurements of valve area, pressure gradient, etc and will usually examine other things such as the coronary arteries and the aorta. You can trust Ross's observations in this as he has had more experience than most, especially, us beginners. Take care.

Larry

Last edited:
And - the new 64 slice CT can actually help plan the surgery, valve size etc - amazing! We are so lucky to have all of the technology....... but then we need the "artists" to perform! As numbers are just that - numbers - Make sure you love and trust your entire "team" - Julie

for me my aneurysm was first diagnosed with an echo. then a ct scan 2 years later showed growth. then i had another echo and it matched up with the size the ct scan showed. but the doctor said it varies sometimes and like ross said the catheteriztion is the best to determine true size.

For those of us who are BAV with associated CTD, a chest CT scan can provide info about the entire upper aorta. In my case I was glad to get the news that, while I have a problem with my ascending aorta, the aortic arch and descending aorta are OK. My only concern in regard to CT scans is radiation, so I have opted not to have them in series, but rather to rely on echos at least until my situation changes.

And - the new 64 slice CT can actually help plan the surgery, valve size etc - amazing! We are so lucky to have all of the technology....... but then we need the "artists" to perform! As numbers are just that - numbers - Make sure you love and trust your entire "team" - Julie

I was just thinking, if he could get a 64, 128, or 256 slice CT scan, it probably would be able to really tell the story of all of his questions.

Justin had many heart surgeries, echos, caths, MRIs ect before he had a CT-scan. I personally prefer GOOD Cardiac MRI/MRAs yearly or every couple years with echos in between, because you can get measurements of Aortic root, ascending aorta ect but don't have radiation like with CTs. Justin usually has an echo yearly, when things are good and for the past few years, MRA/MRI every 2 or so IF the echos (or MRI) show a problem they do a right and left cath to get a more accurate picture. His doctors prefer not to do CTscans unless it is necessary, the only time hehad one was when they were looking for a pulmonary embolisom when he had post op complications.

Well, before anyone knew I had a bad heart valve or other such problem, I had an aortic aneurysm that showed up on an internist's "routine" chest x-ray. Boy were we ALL surpised. The aneurysm was in such an odd place that it NEVER showed on any echo of the ascending or descending aorta. But, in its blind site, on the ascending aorta just below the arch, it showed very nicely on CT scans of the chest. Even my famous heart surgeon, seemed to have never heard of an aneurysm in that spot. So, I told him, "When you cut me open you will certainly see it, and be sure to fix it, OK?" The first time I saw him after surgery he laughed and said, "I found it and fixed it!" and we got a good laugh out of it.

I thank God for "routine chest x-rays" and for the several CT scans I had of my chest!

Just had a CT today; will help the surgeon plan out his line of attack through all the scar tissue. Also had a bubble echo; now I'm fully carbonated. Things have changed a lot since the beginning of the decade....

I got a new education today!

They use them often to see if there are openings (PFO) or holes (Atrial septal Defects ASD or Vevtricular Septal Defect, VSDs) in the septums, that are too small to see normally, but enough blood can get thru to possibly cause strokes or bad migrains

I'm in line for a CT scan as well. This year's cardio echo showed an increase in the size of my aneurysm. It has increased 0.5cm over the year to just over 5cm (the magic number). Some of the increase can be down to differences in where the radiographer places the cursor for measurement so a CT scan will give a better measurement plus show wall thicknesses etc.

I just wish that the surgeon had repaired my aneurysm when he replaced my aortic valve 2 years ago. I could do without all the stress again. But such is life for some of us I gues. :p

I'm in line for a CT scan as well. This year's cardio echo showed an increase in the size of my aneurysm. It has increased 0.5cm over the year to just over 5cm (the magic number). Some of the increase can be down to differences in where the radiographer places the cursor for measurement so a CT scan will give a better measurement plus show wall thicknesses etc.

I just wish that the surgeon had repaired my aneurysm when he replaced my aortic valve 2 years ago. I could do without all the stress again. But such is life for some of us I gues. :p

People wonder why we question Doctors so much around here. You just sighted a prime example. Now, you have to have surgery again, for something that should have been corrected when they were in there.

After fifteen years of only echo's I finally get to have my first ct scan this Friday. My doctor order blood work to check my kidney function before I have the ct scan. I get to have more radiation to my chest. I 'm a breast cancer survivor. I have been anemic for the last three years and at last week visit with my cardiologist I ask if my valve could be the reason. He said that it could be the reason. Three years ago I had the bubble test and have a small hole in my heart. I was told that most babies are born with a small hole in their heart and within the first year of life they usually closed up.

They use them often to see if there are openings (PFO) or holes (Atrial septal Defects ASD or Vevtricular Septal Defect, VSDs) in the septums, that are too small to see normally, but enough blood can get thru to possibly cause strokes or bad migrains

Lyn,

What is your understanding of the relationship between septal defects and migraines? I get migraines and have read a number of times about a suspected correlation with BiCuspidAortic valves, but I don't think it's been thoroughly studied yet. I recall from my echo that I have an "expected septal delay consistent with open heart surgery" , but I don't know if I have a hole. Perhaps a bubble study on my next echo in September could shed some light on that.

jeff

Lyn,

What is your understanding of the relationship between septal defects and migraines? I get migraines and have read a number of times about a suspected correlation with BiCuspidAortic valves, but I don't think it's been thoroughly studied yet. I recall from my echo that I have an "expected septal delay consistent with open heart surgery" , but I don't know if I have a hole. Perhaps a bubble study on my next echo in September could shed some light on that.

jeff

I don't know alot because Justin had all his septal defects closed (stitched or patched depending on the size) during one of his surgeries. (Usually if you've had surgery and TEE ect they should have found it if you had one, but it wouldn't hurt to ask) But there is a small hole in the Atrium that blood travels thru when you are still a fetus, but should close shortly after birth "foramen ovale" it is in the atrial septum. When it doesn't close it is called a patent foramen ovale. So blood can go from the left side of the heart to the right, with out going to the lungs for oxygen, there also is a chance small clots can be formed. There seems to be a relationship between PFOs to both migraines and strokes. (The Priminister of Isreal Ariel Sharon, had a stroke they believe was caused by a clot because of his PFO) many studies are showing people with PFOs have a higher percentage of of migraines than people with out PFOs. IF you do a search with PFO and migraine a few good articles come up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back