Could you keep Andrew in your prayers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest update. Andrew has had a pretty tough week
Lyn

i will have to share hard news with Andrew today
Posted 4 hours ago
Last evening I was talking quite a bit with Dr Gambetta as I was getting conflicting news about the TEE. They did decide that we would watch to see if it happens again before doing more tests. At ths point it is not worth the risk to do the TEE as they would not do anything at this time if they did find anything.
Basicly they would like to list him as 1A on the transplant list. He is having some other necessary blood work done today and then as soon as he gives the word I guess they will list him. Unfortunately he will not be able to wait at home or the RMH. I feel like one of his worst fears has come to pass. I remember when we came in the first time he worried that when they said he needed to stay on the milrinone that he would be stuck here indefinately. And that pretty much is where he is.
Then there are the financial worries. At some point Andrew will lose the help he has been getting from the DSCC.They do not cover transplant expences. We thankfully have insurance but there are high co pays and things that are of concern. He has not been approved for transplant yet but they have approved the antibody blood test that is required pre- transplant. He did apply for social security disability so pray for quick approval for that. I feel a little bit like I am trusting God to save my soul (and my son's) but I can't trust Him to give me a burger. So yes God can meet these needs and obviously if this is in his plan he has the answer and the means to provide it. It's just scary so I
could use extra prayers on that.
So this is where we are this morning. I'm not looking forward to telling him this and wonder how long it wil take. Of course nobody knows but God Himself and I suppose He will use this to teach all of us many things. I pray we will all be good and trusting students. Because after all he was good enough to die for us and He was powerful enough to ressurect Himself and He cares and loves us so much. He will get us though this as well.
heart hugs and prayers,
Wendy

So sorry for what you and your friend are going through! Lots of prayers for all of you. Keep your strong faith and continue to pray ... HE will deliver. I will go to the noon mass and light 3 candles...one for you, one for Andrew and one for rest of your families.

Last edited:
Lyn,

I well remember when Andrew had his valve replacement. He and his family remain in my prayers, and I hope God grants them the strength to face this latest hurdle. Thank you for posting the update.

So sorry to hear of this for Andrew (what a nice name) and hope he comes through with flying colors. I continue to be amazed at how very strong all the young mothers of children are and know they are wonderful advocates for their children. Praise you Wendy.....and praise you Lyn.....and all the others who carry a burden beyond my comprehension. God Bless You..!!

Wendy,
I shall pray to all the saints in heaven for intervention on Andrew's behalf. I shall also pray that angels come sit with you for strength and endurance. Keep faithful I know that God can hear you.

Lyn,

Please let Wendy and Andrew know that we will indeed include them in our prayers. Times like this make it tough to find reasoning for why things happen the way they do. It should be a comfort to all of us (no matter how small) that everything happens for a purpose and will ultimately make all of us stronger. Andrew has my love and I pray that he will feel strength as a result.

And thank you for sharing.

So sorry to hear that things have reached this point. I hope they get quick answers to all of their questions and that he is able to receive a heart quickly so he is able to move forward with his life. Please pass on our thoughts to Wendy if you get the chance.

Kim

If only I could give Wendy a big, supportive hug!

Please let her know that Andrew is in my thoughts & prayers! There are many successful stories of heart-transplant patients out there. A school mate of mine had a heart-transplant 3 years ago at the Mayo in Phoenix & he is doing very well!

Yes, Andrew has been through an awful lot in his life but he is still young and that is a BIG PLUS!

Thank you Lyn for starting this thread! You are very thoughtful! :)

Wendy's account here closed, But I sent her the link and she asked me to post this

Thanks lyn, I was able to read the posts but of course I can't reply. Tell them thank you would you?

ps as she was emailing me, Andrew got a room on the floor so he is moving out of ICU..thats good

Lyn, thanks for keeping us up to date. To Wendy - my prayers are with you and Andrew. I hope God will provide a match soon (not that I wish anyone else misfortune) and that Andrew will live a long, productive life through the generosity of someone else.

Latest update. Andrew has had a pretty tough week
Lyn

i will have to share hard news with Andrew today
Posted 4 hours ago
Last evening I was talking quite a bit with Dr Gambetta as I was getting conflicting news about the TEE. They did decide that we would watch to see if it happens again before doing more tests. At ths point it is not worth the risk to do the TEE as they would not do anything at this time if they did find anything.
Basicly they would like to list him as 1A on the transplant list. He is having some other necessary blood work done today and then as soon as he gives the word I guess they will list him. Unfortunately he will not be able to wait at home or the RMH. I feel like one of his worst fears has come to pass. I remember when we came in the first time he worried that when they said he needed to stay on the milrinone that he would be stuck here indefinately. And that pretty much is where he is.
Then there are the financial worries. At some point Andrew will lose the help he has been getting from the DSCC.They do not cover transplant expences. We thankfully have insurance but there are high co pays and things that are of concern. He has not been approved for transplant yet but they have approved the antibody blood test that is required pre- transplant. He did apply for social security disability so pray for quick approval for that. I feel a little bit like I am trusting God to save my soul (and my son's) but I can't trust Him to give me a burger. So yes God can meet these needs and obviously if this is in his plan he has the answer and the means to provide it. It's just scary so I
could use extra prayers on that.
So this is where we are this morning. I'm not looking forward to telling him this and wonder how long it wil take. Of course nobody knows but God Himself and I suppose He will use this to teach all of us many things. I pray we will all be good and trusting students. Because after all he was good enough to die for us and He was powerful enough to ressurect Himself and He cares and loves us so much. He will get us though this as well.
heart hugs and prayers,
Wendy

Lynn, Wendy & Andrew we are keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers the pressures that you are put under worried about finances as well as health concerns must be unbearable and I can't imagine the toll it takes on all.

With God's intervention and all the prayers of this group I am sure the pressures will be lifted

It is my belief that many of us are here not by chance but by His design for just this reason

God Bless
Greg

They had a tough day today. I'm sure they would love any messages If this link doesn't go right to his page http://www.carepages.com/carepages/AndrewJosephspage you go to carepages.com and his page name is AndrewJosephspage IF you haven't vistited a carepage before youwould have to register , but its free and easy and once you register you use your same password for anyone elses carepage you know the name of
Lyn

Thursday's visit
Posted 4 hours ago
Andrew had his visit with Dr Gambetta this morning. I wish I could say that she had good news but I can't. When the cardiologist and surgeons met together to talk further about Andrew's options The surgeon did not feel Andrew was in a place that would be good for a good outcome for transplant. So they cannot list him.

Andrew will be meeting with an adult cardiologist (unlike the kids we have been dealing with- just kidding) who will evaluate and share what he thinks will be his best options. One of the things that he has suggested or perhaps a surgeon at Northwestern is a VAD which is a ventricular assist devise to help his heart to pump, possibly bringing his pulmonary pressures down. Another option is to wait another 6 weeks on the milrinone
to see if that and his meds are enough to bring those pressures to an acceptable level. This appointment is Tuesday August 31 our 25th wedding anniversery.

Pray for wisdom for the doctor and us. For Andrew's pulmonary pressures to drop and for us to know the timing to do or not do things.

It is hard. I was kind of dreading this appointment fearing they would say something like this. It was hard to share this with Randy over the phone- there has been so much up and down these past few weeks. I wish it had been an easier answer but there is still hope. Like I have said from the begining. I do not know what the future holds I can only trust the One who does. I do pray for wisdom and for grace for whatever lies ahead.

Another difficult part of this transition is now they are saying they want him to have his surgery and follow ups at Northwesern with a doctor we do not know and at a hospital that we are not familiar with. It's been hard enough having to change primary doctors so late in this game I am really dreading making this change as well.

Fortunately his EP promised to follow him for a while because of his complexity. She has known him a long while and I find comfort that she will still be around.

Guess I will end here.
Just pray
Wendy

Thanks, Lyn, for the update. Do you think this means Andrew will never be a candidate for transplant or that he might be listed later?

I think if the pressures go down, from with the meds or if he gets a VAD, he would be able to be listed. I changed my prayers to please let his pressures go down and he becomes a candidate soon.

I can't begin to imagine the strength all the young mothers have when caring for their children with heart issues. All my best wishes and prayers are going out for Andrew and his mother, Wendy.....God bless both of them and their family.

Latest posts

Back