Blood thinners

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, clot not is funny. I try not to think about another word similar to it starting with sn .............
I guess I'll leave blood thinner to those highly-trained medical personnel preferring to use it.

Darn, darn, darn....

Darn, darn, darn....

A doctor from the Mayo Clinic told me that I would have to stop the blood thinner a few days before having a biopsey. But, I didn't need to worry because they would accept an score of 1.5 because that would still protect me. When I spoke with him about blood thinners and scores and the like, he laughed and said I shouldn't worry about what we call it. Honestly, I thought he was going to pat me on the head and say " Don't worry little girl. We will protect you."

I've been told that doctors and other medical folks use the term "blood thinner" because patients really don't understand terms like anticoagulant. Well, duhh!!!!

Blanche

Good one Blanche.
The sad truth is a lot of patients really have no clue.
They just take the med without knowing anything about it, and some suffer the consequences of doing that.
While sitting in my cardiologist's office several years ago, a guy came in and when he signed in, the girl said to him 'our records show you havn't had a blood draw for eleven months'. He replied 'oh I don't have time for that stuff'.
Her reply was 'do you have a death wish?'.
That is the sad truth about the level of understanding for many patients.
When I go to my lab and get in conversation with some, they are shocked when I explain to them what this med really does. Even most of the people doing the blood draws have no clue.
Rich

You're never going to get Blood Thinner out of the language. It's been in the vernacular for fifty years. That's the reason many doctors say "blood Thinner." They say it because most people already know what it means. It doesn't mean the doctor doesn't know the difference.

Some people were concerned when I used the term "carbon valve" instead of mechanical valve. Well, the valve's made mostly of pyrolytic carbon, so that shouldn't concern anyone. Tissue valves are made mostly of tissue. But guess what? Tissue valves are also mechanical valves. They work by the exact, same mechanical principle as a carbon valve, but with tissue as the material. So saying "mechanical" valve doesn't really differentiate between them. And "we" should know better. But that was the term that was coined at the time, and that's what everyone - including here - is used to saying.

At least it's not as bad as "House." Last week, there was an episode on where they kept referring to a "plastic" mitral valve. As far as I know, there are no plastic valves currently approved.

We just have to be tolerant.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I have to admit, "Clot Not" is nice and catchy. I'll try that one on my doctors and see what happens.

Ross, I missed my chance to use the new "clot not" term yesterday.
While at the local ER waiting to get my eye examined, the Triage nurse asked me what meds I was on....I was on auto pilot and replied that I was on Metoprolol, Coumadin, and Actonel. DANG IT....I forgot to say Clot Not. I will have to practice that more.

Latest posts

Back