Blood thinners

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Blood thinner" will be with us until someone coins a better term than the six syllable "anticoagulant". Anyone who doubts this must be hanging out with an exceptionally literate crowd.

Dennis, I couldn't have said it better. I called it "blood thinner" until I joined this forum. It may be inaccurate but it seems more descriptive.

"Blood thinner" will be with us until someone coins a better term than the six syllable "anticoagulant". Anyone who doubts this must be hanging out with an exceptionally literate crowd.

While I think your right, it may also happen when people stop being allowed to talked "Dumbed down" to. I love throwing things back at the Pro's like, "You don't ask me if I was on a ventilator, you ask me if I've been intubated, so why do you call an anticoagulant a blood thinner?" Gets em everytime.

No word that starts with "anti" is likely to find general acceptance. How many would like to say "anti accelerator" instead of brake? To make matters worse, coagulant is basically a fancy word for the more common term "clotting". Maybe we should have a contest for a replacement for "anticoagulant".

Head banging time.................again

Head banging time.................again

I can't decide if the knowledge we share here causes a feeling of superiority/arrogance over others for their ignorance of how warfarin works or not. I refer to myself only.
Recently I had an appointment with a very qualified cardiologist for a check-up where he referred to my "blood thinner". He wasn't happy when I told him I took an anti-coagulant, don't waste my time with blood thinners and that he should know better than to use that term when referring to warfarin. I think I went too far. Anyway when professionals use the term we're all taught to fear bleeding to death from a scratch. Too bad the conversation didn't take place with the author of the Parade article.

Tomorrow will be time to check my blood viscosity. :D

LMAO ... good one olefin:D ... the "term blood thinner" does not bother me ... this is because I have heard it for years (my Dad had AVR in the 70's) and that was the term used ... I hear things that are incorrect by medical professional, lay people, the list goes on and on...

I think one thing that might help is when we talk to people about terms for anticoagulants that we are sincere and don't come across arrogant know it alls .... this approach seems to work for me in other areas ....

i hear what you guys are saying,and its great that you are all doing well on anti coags, but surely all cardios and medically trained experts in the field cant be wrong?

i hear what you guys are saying,and its great that you are all doing well on anti coags, but surely all cardios and medically trained experts in the field cant be wrong?

Neil:
Not ALL.
However, doctors and medical professionals have many other patients to take care of. We have ONLY ourselves to take care of, so we can devote more time to learning about our own health care.
I don't remember any of my doctors using the term BLOOD THINNER. (Praise the Lord and pass the anticoagulation!)

Sonny you need to see and experience all the things that we do. It's appalling how many Doctors have no clue. Their not all clueless, but the majority are.

If you trust every doctor without question, your soon going to run into big time trouble.

Doctors are just all the rest of us. Yes, they have educational levels that are more than some, and have spent a lot of time in training. However, just like the rest of the human race, they vary in their abilities in all kinds of ways. Not all graduated at the top of their class in school. And some have less than stellar abilities to relate to people. Some keep up with their training, and some never crack a book after they graduate unless they are forced to.

It is very wise and prudent to know as much as you can about your own health, and learn how to distinguish the bad advice from the good. It is self-protective and necessary.

I have found that the more haughty the doctor, the less they know. A good offense is the best defense. If they are obnoxious, you won't want to hang around and question them. But that is precisely the time when the grilling should start. But of course, it will all be for naught, if you don't have a clue about what you are asking.

So, read, read, read and learn as much as you can.

Actually, the ones that use the term 'blood thinner' are, IMHO, wrong. Wrong to assume the general population can't figure out what anticoagulant might mean and wrong to use only the term 'blood thinner', when they could use both as a way to educate people who can't figure it out.

Latest posts

Back