Bicuspid Aortic valve replacement surgery 18 April 2011

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davealbq

I'm scheduled for aortic valve replacement surgery on 18 April 2011, my surgeon is Dr Peter Walinsky at Prsbyterian hospital in Albuquerque New Mexico. I'm 67 years old and I'm in pretty good shape, My Dr says the best valve for me is the pig valve made by St Judes. I have a lot of confidence in my surgeron, he specializes in aortic valve replavement and does 4-5 per week. I'm looking foreward to getting this done so I won't have to worry about it anymore. I don't have any symptoms but my measurements are in the severe range, .7 on the echocardiogram and .8 on the cardiac catherization. Any imput on Presbyterian hospital in Albuquerque, Nm or on Dr Walinsky would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I'm scheduled for aortic valve replacement surgery on 18 April 2011, my surgeon is Dr Peter Walinsky at Prsbyterian hospital in Albuquerque New Mexico. I'm 67 years old and I'm in pretty good shape, My Dr says the best valve for me is the pig valve made by St Judes. I have a lot of confidence in my surgeron, he specializes in aortic valve replavement and does 4-5 per week. I'm looking foreward to getting this done so I won't have to worry about it anymore. I don't have any symptoms but my measurements are in the severe range, .7 on the echocardiogram and .8 on the cardiac catherization. Any imput on Presbyterian hospital in Albuquerque, Nm or on Dr Walinsky would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

YOU ARE ADDED TO OUR FAMILY CALENDAR joining Kevin and Larry and Dave, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found us are getting some of the information that you are seeking and there is swealth of knowledge here for the future

I'm not familiar with the St. Jude's pig valve, though I got one of Medtronics last Dec. 1, at 65. A valve that your surgeon is comfortable with is usually a pretty good valve -- and better than the one you've got, with the bad measurements!

Having no symptoms at all pre-op may make the long rehab period seem even longer, and any post-op "bumps in the road" more frustrating. (I had only minor symptoms, and my CV fitness at ~4 months post-op is finally about the same as the day before my OHS. Physically, getting mine done a few months sooner might have been better, but mentally it would have been much tougher.) Otherwise, go for it, keep posting, and All Good Things!

Last edited:
I had valve replacement at age 61. Like you, I was, as far as I could tell, asymptomatic even though my valve was very constricted and I had high pressure gradients and other evidence that I needed surgery. It all has worked out well. My recovery was greatly aided by attending cardiac rehab after surgery. It's like a gym but with cardiac monitoring and skilled personnel. I got my strength back quickly after I started that. How's you aorta looking? Mine required some work. Anyway, this surgery is remakably safe and effective, and it appers you are going to a very experienced surgeon.

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to let you know you have a surgery partner. I'm also scheduled for April 18th for MV repair (possible replacement). I'm also asymptomatic but have severe regurgitation and an enlarged atrium. I wish you all the best.

Hi, Dave, and welcome to the family. I just had my aortic valve replaced (Feb. 28) at age 63, and the surgery itself was no big thing. I have the Edwards bovine pericardial tissue valve - that's the one my surgeon was most comfortable implanting. They take care of everything. I did, however, hit some speed bumps after surgery and ended up with a pacemaker as well. Some percentage of patients will need this. My reason for relating this to you is so that you can also know that even with the speed bumps and the pacemaker, now at 4 weeks post op, I'm going to be talking with my cardio about rehab and will work hard to get back to some level of fitness activity.

We know we need valve replacement, and if we opt not to do this the prospects are dim. We should also know that no matter what the outcome, it is better in the long run with the surgery.

Hi, Dave, welcome to VR. From what you have said, you are in good hands so I wouldn't spend much time worrying about surgery. Since you are in otherwise good health, you have a great chance of having a very good recovery. I would encourage you to focus on those things you need to do to heal properly. The spring should be a fine time to be out walking in Albuquerque which will be your primary occupation for several weeks after your AVR.

Larry

Hi, Dave, and welcome to the family. I just had my aortic valve replaced (Feb. 28) at age 63, and the surgery itself was no big thing. I have the Edwards bovine pericardial tissue valve - that's the one my surgeon was most comfortable implanting. They take care of everything. I did, however, hit some speed bumps after surgery and ended up with a pacemaker as well. Some percentage of patients will need this. My reason for relating this to you is so that you can also know that even with the speed bumps and the pacemaker, now at 4 weeks post op, I'm going to be talking with my cardio about rehab and will work hard to get back to some level of fitness activity.

We know we need valve replacement, and if we opt not to do this the prospects are dim. We should also know that no matter what the outcome, it is better in the long run with the surgery.

Steve,

You are so right, it's nice to be reminded of your last statement about having surgery and it's the best of outcome considering the alternative. I just have to keep reminding myself that. I'm not scared of surgery, what I don't like is waiting around to have it!

I waited many years to have the surgery. That wasn't as bad as the start of my recovery. Only starting to get back on track the last couple of weeks (I'm 4 weeks out now. . . ).

Dave,
I had the surgery in January and I know it's a nerve-wracking time. You will be fine and your surgeon will take good care of you. I know it's hard to do, but try to think about how great it's going to be to wake up after the surgery and be on the other side of it!

Thanks for all the nice coments. I'm still scheduled for 18 April, It comforts me a lot hearing from people who have had this same problem. Do any of you have any good tips or recomendations for pre op and post op? Thanks, Dave

Hi, Dave, Welcome. As for good tips before and after, have you checked the stickies at the top of the pre and post op forums, there is some helpful info there on what to take to the hospital, how to make home easier for post op etc, but for other things. I never had surgery but my son has had a few, things he likes to do is before surgery we try to look for things to do /buy that you can do sitting around after surgery..He even tries to learn a new hobby or craft we can work on or something as simple as a new jig saw puzzle we all can work on (funny now that I think of it we enjoy working on the puzzles, but the only time we ever have one going is before and after surgeries or some other heart problems he has going on)
Things you can do now that MIGHT help make the recovery a little easier, is he likes to practice standing from sitting from chairs or bed with out using his arms, (he's pretty good at it but likes to remind his body the easiest way) also most people don't wake up on the vent, but he has a few times and communicating can be tough and frustrating, so i always have a pen and notebook so he can write things, but we also make a few "charade' type hand signs that I know what he is trying to say, and we practice them enough that literaly he can do them just about in his sleep or drugged up. things he might wqant to say right after surgery like i'm hot or cold..or he has an itch somewhere ...

As others have said the fact you are in good health going into surgery, should make the surgery/recovery better. Don't be surprised if you hit any little bumps, its common

Hi Dave! I had my aortic replacement with a mechanical valve on March 7th, and have been getting active and doing very well except for some arrhythmia problems. Actually, I was supposed to be in Albuquerque for work the day my surgery happened, but with the diagnosis I had to cancel that trip. I am sure you will come through the surgery very well and kick butt on the other side; looking back at my pre-op period, I would just say that you can relax a bit. I was worrying over every single thing and possible outcome, and looking back on it I was making more out of it than it really was. I am certainly not through the recovery phase yet and have a ways to go, but I certainly feel better than I had imagined.

Jason

You have certainly hit the common 'trigger point' (0.8 sq cm or less effective valve area) for recommending Aortic Valve Replacement and your surgeon's numbers suggest that he is very experienced.

As a BAV patient, I would want to know if you have any Aneurysms or possible Connective Tissue Disorder(s). The Gold Standard for checking for Aortic Aneurysms is a Chest CT or MRI. I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon so that he will KNOW before he 'opens you up'.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Dave, I had the same surgery 4 weeks ago today. My valve was found to be bicuspid once the surgeon had me opened up. I also had the assending aorta replaced with a dacron graft. I do wish you the same recovery I am having so far......no problems at all.
I am doing rehab 3 days a week and it is building my strength every day. Like you have read on this forum, the waiting is the tough part. It gets a lot better on the other side.
This afternoon I had a back,shoulder and neck massage. It did wonders for me. You will find that those areas will bother you more than your chest.

Best wishes for a non-issue surgery and recovery

John

Dave, I had my AVR at age 66 and my surgeon also suggested a tissue valve, bovine pericardial. It is now nearly 2 years ago and I am hale and hearty! I had the normal post surgery bumps, most of them in ICU. Perfusion was my main problem so please use the spirometer thing they give you to get your lungs working optimally again.

Being in good shape will help you sail through the operation. Will be thinking of you on the 18th.

Johan

Wishing you the very best with your upcoming surgery! Time to get it done and overwith so that you can resume enjoying the 'Land of Enchantment'.

From another fellow New Mexican, buena suerte!!! :)

Steve - I see your in Chicago ! I posted in the "anything goes thread" with some questions. I am in Chicago as well. My cardio is Dr Marla Mendelson and I really like her... ( when I drag myself in there that is!) I am guessing surgery is not far off so it good to see you like McCarthy(?) I am questioning wether I should be seen ASAP as I'm having some pretty bad symptoms as of late... Major dizzy spells, chest pressure, (PVC's?) - my heart just thumps really hard and sometimes tickles like a feather is brushing against it. Also my head has been pounding. I don't know my numbers but I know they aren't good. Dr M can't see me unto Feb 18th... Think I should go in thru the ER?

My surgeon recommended McCarthy if I wanted to get a second opinion, so he is respected by his peers...that's a good thing! My recommendation would be to find a cardio who can get you in on short notice. I haven't had super good luck in the ER. They basically tell me..."oh look at that, your EKG is weird...go see your cardio.". I pretty much called one of the larger practices in town and said please give me your first available appointment.

Back