Beware dirty socks in bed...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnB

How many of you after surgery walked in your hospital socks around the unit and then
got back in bed with them on? I noticed when I was slowly moving back to bed all the dirt
from the floor at the end of my bed.

Now imagine, you are moving your legs all over that stuff, microbes getting warm and activated and here comes a possible hospital infection.

I told the nurse about this and she said that it was something they had not thought about. Just for future reference...even though the floors look clean, there's lots of coughing that goes on in those hallways as we all know...

Good observation. Coughing isn't all that goes on in the hallway and on the floor! Think other accidents too. I believe you are on to something here. Maybe bring some slippers you can take off before getting into bed, and forget about those socks.

NEVER in my life have I gotten back into ANY bed with socks on that have touched ANY floor.
(germ phobia---can u tell?)
Brought my own open back slippers for hospital use, and they were immediately
thrown in the washing machine when I got back home.

We never get back into bed with feet that have touched the floor. I always have my own sanitizing wipes if needed in case we touch something accidentally. We have always been afraid of germs on the floor. One hospital my husband was in was very careless about throwing things on the floor and they even used the garbage container to prop his leg on after knee surgery until I stopped it. There are always those little needle caps that nurses pop off or lay aside when giving shots and they fall on the floor along with other things. Another reason to wear shoes. They hurt when one steps on them.

that is so gross and true! it's all i could think about when i would get back into bed. i wore my flip flops when i could, and pretended to lose my socks a few days so i would have a new pair each day.

I the UK we are given a list of clothing etc. to take into hospital and slippers are on the list. They are quite strict on using footwear and the nurses get quite upset if someone does not wear it. We have had a constant battle with hospital bugs in the Uk and hygiene has become a number one priority, rightly so in my book.

I throw my slippers into the bin before leaving the hospital and then buy a new cheap pair ready for the 'dreaded' next time.

NEVER in my life have I gotten back into ANY bed with socks on that have touched ANY floor.
Brought my own open back slippers for hospital use, and they were immediately
thrown in the washing machine when I got back home.

I knew it. Howard Hughes is still alive. He just had a sex change and moved to Canada. :biggrin2:

I thought of that too when I was in the hospital; I had slip-on slippers that I would NEVER put back in the bed; the day that I got to take a shower (in the hospital) to go home, I immediately threw the slippers in the trash. I still get grossed out thinking about it, glad I'm not the only one.

Me too Bina,and for the same reasons. I would take the "floor socks" off and change into my "bed socks" when getting back into bed.
We have a lot in common,I wonder if we are related?

Me too Bina,and for the same reasons. I would take the "floor socks" off and change into my "bed socks" when getting back into bed.
We have a lot in common,I wonder if we are related?
LOL.....different socks at home too !!!
I have "sleeping socks" for the winter nights in bed only, and my husband thought I was a little strange.
Dina, I think we must be sisters. ;)

Could this be moved to pre-surgery.
Something most of us don't think about wonder if this is how some of those infections move. HMMM. I had my pink Ikea slippers with me didn't mind tossing them .
this one should also be put in 'what to take to the hospital' thread. call it floor sox and bed sox.

Latest posts

Back