BAVs - is there a hereditary factor?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrob49

What is the chance of a mother with BAV passing it on to her children ?? Or maybe, it is not hereditary ??

Yes, it is possible that a "bicuspid valve" is hereditary. I have read, and been told by my cardio, that children of a bicuspid valve patient should be told, and or, tested for a potential problem.

The literature says it's more common in males, mine was replaced five years ago, our youngest son is being followed by a cardiologist for a bav, and our 20 month old grandson has one too.
If there's any doubt, check it out.:smile2:

What is the chance of a mother with BAV passing it on to her children ?? Or maybe, it is not hereditary ??
I don't know what the "chance" is, percentage-wise; but MAYBE it doesn't always get passed on.

I'm the only known bicuspid in my entire extended family, and I have two sons. But I have read of several members born with bicuspid here on this site who have parents, children, or siblings who also have bicuspid valves.

BTW, there are evidently different degrees and even different forms within the broad bicuspid disorder umbrella. Some people are actually born with only two cusps but some people are born with three cusps but somewhere along the development process two of them fused together.

It's my understanding that BAV is a genetic condition. If you have children, they may or may not also have it, and if they do, they may never need surgery for the valve either. Not everyone who is BAV needs replacement.

In case you are interested, here is a link to a study (abstract) that assessed the frequency of BAV in families in terms of familial clustering:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...78f20e0d2e913bd6898aff3248c55a58&searchtype=a

"Conclusions:
We demonstrated a high incidence of familial clustering in congenital BAV. We believe that the high rate of occurrence of the condition in immediate relatives justifies echocardiographic screening of first-degree relatives to anticipate and prevent future complications associated with this common cardiac malformation."

There are at least 4 of us in my family...my mother, her brother, my brother (deceased), and myself. My docs have said it is hereditary and my family history seems to support the theory :)

There are at least 4 of us in my family...my mother, her brother, my brother (deceased), and myself. My docs have said it is hereditary and my family history seems to support the theory :)

Lisa,

I found a definition of familal clustering which certainly supports your family experience:
"Familial clustering of a disease is defined as the occurrence of the disease within some families in excess of what would be expected from the occurrence in the population." based on the study I provided the link to above.

Did everyone in your family end up needing AVR? In my case, I have an identical twin who is fortunate enough to not be the recipient of a Bicuspid Aortic Valve.
I am the lucky one. :rolleyes:

Did everyone in your family end up needing AVR? In my case, I have an identical twin and surprisingly she is fortunate enough to not be the recipient of a Bicuspid Aortic Valve. I am the lucky one. :rolleyes:

Ottawagal: yep, you're one of the chosen:wink2: My uncle had AVR in his mid-50s, my brother had the first one at age 3, mine was at age 31 (now 37), and my mom is still in the waiting room. I hope she stays there! She's 59, so here's hoping she never needs OHS.

uhmm, i suppose echo test would identify if one has BAV. But if identified, there is still nothing one can do except worry which may be negative. Or maybe that person can do something positive like more exercising, more Vit K and more Omega 3??
And btw, a word of caution about Omega 3, I know of a case, where regular supplementation of Omega 3 lead to increased mercury in the blood. Apparently, a lot of fish are eating mercury contaminated feeds !!

Hereditary Factors

Hereditary Factors

If I inherited my BAV from a family, it was someone who is long gone. Neither of my parents, grandparents and great grandparents had issues with any kind of heart disease. I've no doubt there's a recessive gene lurking back in the family tree somewhere, but nothing is indicated in my family history.

-Philip

At the top of this forum, "Bicuspid Aortic Valves And Connective Tissue Disorders," there is a sticky note titled "Bicuspid and Tissue Reference Links," with links to more info. Interestingly enough, I read in one that it is genetic, and in another that it's not but could possibly be. So, go figure. Either way, it is congenital, meaning you're born with it, and for most people with bicuspid valves, they never have to do anything about it.

If I inherited my BAV from a family, it was someone who is long gone. Neither of my parents, grandparents and great grandparents had issues with any kind of heart disease. I've no doubt there's a recessive gene lurking back in the family tree somewhere, but nothing is indicated in my family history.

-Philip

It's possible some of your relatives had bicuspid valves but never knew about it, since the majority of people with BAV never have a problem or need surgery.

My grandmother had a BAV as did my uncle (her son). My mom (her daughter) did not but I did (and had it recently replaced). I was advised to have my kids tested. My younger daughter was born with very mild pulmonic stenosis but no BAV. My son just got tested and does not have a BAV. My other daughter has yet to be tested.

-Dan

Maybe... maybe not

Maybe... maybe not

Yeah, it's difficult to tell, but there's zero history of any kind of heart disease or heart issues on either side of my family tree. I'm also the only one who's totally color blind... no indications in my well-researched family tree of any other family members who were blessed with that issue as well.

-Philip

Both my husband and I had bicuspid aortic valves, and now we have matching mechanical ones. Neither one of us knows of any relative in the past who had this. We know our eldest son (27) has a bicuspid valve, but haven't checked out the younger two yet -- we will when they have their next physical.

Perhaps it's just coincidental, but my mom was born with a BAV and had it replaced when it developed severe stenosis by the time she was about 50. I had mine replaced at age 53. I had no stenosis, but developed severe regurgitation. Coincidence or heredity???

Latest posts

Back