Back to the waiting room

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbyA

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've known this was coming for a couple of years. Mean gradients for my Medtronic Mosaic valve started off in the mid-20's, but since they were stable and didn't affect daily life and my cardio said they were within normal range, I didn't worry too much. In the last two years gradients have gradually gone up. My October echo report classified me with severe stenosis and severe regurgitation, but my only symptom was fatigue. In the past couple of weeks I've had some chest discomfort with exercise, and possibly lightheadedness, plus two scary episodes of rapid heartbeat.

I'm pretty sturdy, and more fit than I was six years ago, so I'm pretty optimistic about the surgery. My chief concern now is whether any of the hospitals or surgeons here perform a significant volume of second valve replacements. The first time my 'local' hospital was one of the top in the country. I think I might have to go to Mayo in Phoenix to match it. So I have some research to do.

I've known this was coming for a couple of years. Mean gradients for my Medtronic Mosaic valve started off in the mid-20's, but since they were stable and didn't affect daily life and my cardio said they were within normal range, I didn't worry too much. In the last two years gradients have gradually gone up. My October echo report classified me with severe stenosis and severe regurgitation, but my only symptom was fatigue. In the past couple of weeks I've had some chest discomfort with exercise, and possibly lightheadedness, plus two scary episodes of rapid heartbeat.

I'm pretty sturdy, and more fit than I was six years ago, so I'm pretty optimistic about the surgery. My chief concern now is whether any of the hospitals or surgeons here perform a significant volume of second valve replacements. The first time my 'local' hospital was one of the top in the country. I think I might have to go to Mayo in Phoenix to match it. So I have some research to do.

Sorry to hear this, Debby. I remember you came along a few years after me with your valve replacement at Inova Fairfax. I recently read in Dick Cheney's book that Dr. Speir performed the heart transplant for him, so I gather he's still active there. I guess the travel would work against having him do the next surgery? In any event, I wish you all the best, and I will hope you will continue to keep us posted.

I'm sorry, too, to hear this, Debby. No matter how long we've been expecting the surgery, it still hurts!

It's great you feel better and more fit than six years ago...this will speed up your recovery period. I wish you all the best.

Also sorry to hear this Debby! Good to hear that you've been taking care of yourself and that you're more fit than you've been in the past, that should help tons!!!!

Thoughts to you,

Rachel

Thinking of you, Debby and know that we will be here for you. :)

DebbyA,

It sounds like you already know that scar tissue from previous OHS can make the second operation more challenging. You're right to look for and choose a surgeon and hospital with plenty of experience with re-operations. My experience was a good one. The recovery from the second operation was easier than the first. Given your symptoms and change in gradients, keep moving forward and get this done soon. I was surprised how quickly my symptoms and pressure gradients went from severe to critical.

I, too, am sorry you have to have another surgery, Debby.
I join Guyswell in saying my second OHS was very much easier on me than my first. I was at the same Mass General Hospital, same surgeon, some of the same techs and nurses yet went through the second surgery much easier and hope for the same for you.

My surgeon shrugged and indicated he had no problem with my re-do when I asked post op about possible difficulties. The good surgeons handle the scar tissue just fine.

Wishing you all the best.

FYI, I had my surgery at Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, by Dr. DeValeria. I can't say how often he has done 2nd valves, but he told me he does roughly 60 operations per year comparable to mine. I know he also does heart transplants and he is just one member of a team of top cardio thoracic surgeons. I highly recommend Mayo.

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Superbob--I do have the Fairfax on my list. I already talked to the Nurse Practitioner there--Speir does about 200 valve replacements a year, and about 20 re-dos.

AZDon--thanks for the Mayo commendation.

jkm and Guyswell--thanks for encouraging words about second OHS.

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Superbob--I do have the Fairfax on my list. I already talked to the Nurse Practitioner there--Speir does about 200 valve replacements a year, and about 20 re-dos.

AZDon--thanks for the Mayo commendation.

jkm and Guyswell--thanks for encouraging words about second OHS.

Well sounds like you have some good options -- we will be with you in spirit. Do keep us posted.

Perhaps in a PM, could you send me the first name of the nurse practitioner you talked to at Dr. Speir's? I had occasion to check with them on something a few years and I got the same one who helped me back in '05! She was super-helpful again. Now, for the life of me, I can't recall her name with certainty. Figuring that at some point, I will need to consult with them again. If you know the first names of others, that might ring a bell in my empty noggin. :D

Deb, I'm sorry that it is time for your valve to be replaced. I remember when we had the threads about the Mosaic and I was hoping you were one of the luckier ones that things remained relatively stable after the first couple years. As you said the good thing is you are in better shape now than before your first surgery and that can only help. Sorry i can't help w/ surgeon recs, but only say go to who/what makes you find the most peace w/. Everything else can be worked out. Thankfully the stats for 1st REDOs are very good in experienced centers. Everything else can be worked out
Youll be in my thoughts
Lyn

Last edited:
Sorry also to hear you must have another valve replacement. I felt better after my 3rd than my 2nd aortic replacement. I was in better shape before the 3rd one. But, my surgery took much longer the 3rd time. (scar tissue). It's good to have a very competent, confident surgeon that's done a lot of them. Mine pretty much knew it would be a marathon to do 2 valves, graft, and deal with scar tissue. But when I awoke, I knew nothing of how long it took, just that I felt like I could've walked the halls!

Needing a re-surgery is probably one of the things I fear the most. There is no indication I will ever need one, but we never really know do we..

What a blessing it is to have learned everything you are able to learn on this forum and in other places today with modern technology.

I hope all of this knowledge brings you some peace of mind with your upcoming challenge. You will stomp right through to the other side as you have before..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I too wish you the very best and offer you lots of prayers on your re-do surgery. I'm glad too that you say you feel physically and mentally up to the challenge and have no doubt that you will come through it with flying colors!

I've been in the waiting room for a 4th operation for 7 years now but I sincerely think it will never happen. Too complicated and too many risks. :(

Saying prayers for you.... :)

best wishes from warm but damp and dark Finland.

Fitness gains are all plusses, so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Many of us have been there

Many of us have been there

My first surgery was a tissue valve and it lasted 6 years working well and another 3 declining. My first surgery was a minimally invasive procedure. My second surgery, 4 years ago was much more complex and involved a full incision and aortic root replacement along with the On-X valve. Interestingly, I felt much better post surgery the second time with less pain and a much quicker return to activity. My heart function and hemodynamics are better now as well. I feel terrific.

I wish the same for you.

You are relatively young so to speak, and I am sorry this valve did not last you longer. A redo is a redo. Was going to happen at some point in your life, eh, might as well get it over with when you must.

If you do your redo in Innova, VA and feel like having visitors, I will make sure to stop by and take ya for nice stroll around the floor, or at least hangout while you work the spirometer.

Back